Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 04:16:42 pm

Author Topic: Holiday Study  (Read 2824 times)  Share 

amirite?

Holiday Study
« on: January 01, 2010, 06:38:04 pm »
I want to start study for psychology now but im really not sure what to do. :\

Do I just read each chapter and do all the questions in the book?
Do I make summaries, charts and notes along the way?
Im not sure how to use the the study design either ( http://www.vcaa.vic.edu.au/vce/studies/psychology/psychologysd.pdf ) Do I just work through the chapters in the textbook and then make sure I can answer the key knowledge questions and perform the key skills?

Thanks.

vexx

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +66
Re: Holiday Study
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2010, 06:54:26 pm »
Yes to all.

Read through the textbook, and start making notes, it'll be difficult to do so as unit 3 is really not complicated, but just requires a mass of info. to be remembered perfectly. Read over these past notes frequently, even download someone's notes (Erinys..) and have a look through them after. It's good to know some of this now so you can start memorising other stuff when school starts. Also, take notes each week and memorise them in class when school starts if you are still unsure with your holiday work.
2010 VCE: psychology | english language | methods cas | further | chemistry | physical ed | uni chemistry || ATAR: 97.40 ||

2011: BSc @ UoM

Y1: biology of cells&organisms | music psychology | biological psychology | secret life of language | creative writing
    || genetics&the evolution of life | biochemistry&molecular biology | techniques of molecular science -.- | mind,brain&behaviour 2

20XX: MEDICINE

amirite?

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2010, 08:15:40 pm »
Thanks. I just wanted to know if my plan would be and efficient use of time. Looks like it will be.

amirite?

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2010, 08:17:45 pm »
I cant find erinys' notes.

vexx

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2010, 08:38:25 pm »
2010 VCE: psychology | english language | methods cas | further | chemistry | physical ed | uni chemistry || ATAR: 97.40 ||

Y1: biology of cells&organisms | music psychology | biological psychology | secret life of language | creative writing
    || genetics&the evolution of life | biochemistry&molecular biology | techniques of molecular science -.- | mind,brain&behaviour 2

amirite?

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2010, 10:16:16 pm »
cheers

the 2005-2009 study design has been extended to cover 2010 aswell hasnt it? So these notes are 100% relevant and up to date?

vexx

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2010, 10:17:25 pm »
cheers

the 2005-2009 study design has been extended to cover 2010 aswell hasnt it? So these notes are 100% relevant and up to date?
yeah they are.
i used her notes as a basis for mine, which are slightly different but pretty much the same.

Ilovemathsmeth

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +7
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2010, 11:37:34 pm »
What I did was have a nice read of the book. No pressure, just read it for enjoyment. You'll be surprised, but the first read of Psych is really really interesting. Ignore research methods - that chapter is just plain boring; the rest will be interesting. Don't pressurise yourself to make notes - just get a good idea of what it's about. This way you'll know what is being said in class and it gives you ample time to make notes of your readings during school term.
Raw Scores:
Psychology 50 | Mathematical Methods 49 | Further Mathematics 49 | Accounting 49 | Chemistry 44 | English 43
ATAR: 99.75

amirite?

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2010, 10:57:46 pm »
I started a couple of days ago. Spent about 7 hours all up, not at 100% efficiency, im about 20% through AoS one :P. Plus done my holiday homework, set-up a system (Folder, Contents, Glossary) and stuff.

Im pretty much summarising every paragraph, basically putting the textbook into my own words. Am I doing it right? I feel like im doing too much work, if thats possible. Maybe the truth will be in the first SAC and few weeks of classes.

Do we only touch on 6 chapters in the textbook? One for each AoS?

amirite?

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2010, 11:01:41 pm »
My plan now is to do what im doing for each area of unit 3 study and then do at least one practice exam before the holidays are finished. :) If it all goes to plan I should have basic knowledge or unit 3, an idea of how hard exams are, a solid set of notes and classes shall act as revision. :)

vexx

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2010, 09:15:21 am »
^ that's so good. you shall do really well:)
but just a note, don't put any of the textbook stuff into your own words, as the answers for all the exams must be exactly word-for-word from a textbook (or most of them).
so yeah goodluck for this year!!

amirite?

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2010, 12:42:44 pm »
Thats annoying. If you can get the same concept across using different words then shouldnt you get the marks? Its easier to regurgitate things from the book but I dont think you learn it as well. Im not putting the definitions into my own words just the paragraphs. And instead of linear type lists (ie. cars, cats, dogs...) I have expanded key things (eg. perceptions, sense of place, sense of time) into dot points and highlighted them. Somehow I think I learn key things better when I give them their own line. lol.

kyzoo

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +23
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2010, 02:10:54 am »
What I did was have a nice read of the book. No pressure, just read it for enjoyment. You'll be surprised, but the first read of Psych is really really interesting.

That's what you should do for all subjects involving textbooks that you base your study around.
~ Methods (Non-CAS) [48 --> 49.4]

~ Spesh [50 --> 51.6]
~ Physics [50 --> 50]
~ Chem [43 --> 46.5]
~ English [46 --> 46.2]
~ UMEP Maths [5.0]

2010 ATAR: 99.90
Aggregate 206.8

NOTE: PLEASE CONTACT ME ON EMAIL - [email protected] if you are looking for a swift reply.

Ilovemathsmeth

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +7
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2010, 11:31:53 am »
LOL the first read of Chem was stressful.
Raw Scores:
Psychology 50 | Mathematical Methods 49 | Further Mathematics 49 | Accounting 49 | Chemistry 44 | English 43
ATAR: 99.75

kyzoo

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +23
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2010, 01:30:40 am »
^ Mmm for me it's not really stressful, it's more totally unfamiliar territory, and I have to really slow down and employ my mind to understand it.
~ Methods (Non-CAS) [48 --> 49.4]

~ Spesh [50 --> 51.6]
~ Physics [50 --> 50]
~ Chem [43 --> 46.5]
~ English [46 --> 46.2]
~ UMEP Maths [5.0]

2010 ATAR: 99.90
Aggregate 206.8

NOTE: PLEASE CONTACT ME ON EMAIL - [email protected] if you are looking for a swift reply.