Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 03:23:56 am

Author Topic: HSC Results Check Service - Is It Worth It?  (Read 8138 times)  Share 

FutureLawStudent

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +13
HSC Results Check Service - Is It Worth It?
« on: May 03, 2018, 09:23:12 pm »
+5
Hi,

For those of you who don't know, NESA offers a service called "HSC Results Checks" in which they will essentially verify if an administrative error has occurred in the marking of your paper. For $17.70 per course ($34.40 for Eng Adv/Standard) they will basically check if they correctly calculated your marks and if the marker didn't make any errors.

When people refer to getting an HSC remark, this is generally what they are talking about. Note, they don't actually remark any of your responses (unless it was marked as a non-attempt and a response is clear).

It's pretty clear why the service exists, and why students would want to get a remark, however, in all reality, it is just a check. There have, however, been horror stories, including one case where a student's essay wasn't marked for Modern and she gained 13 marks (boosting her ATAR to 99.95 I believe, and allowing her to get in to her desired course and receive a $10,000 scholarship).

Something that is much less known about, however, is the Anomalous Results Enquiries service. This has to be initiated by the schools principle (or their delegate) and involves marks being reviewed by a senior marker/supervisor of marking (Not 100% sure on this, the documentation is very, very limited). This means that the paper, in certain circumstances, could actually be remarked. The only reason I was aware of this is last year a student at my school was extremely disappointed with his English Advanced Mark, so he called up to see where he lost his marks. He was told he scored a 7 in his creative (which the school had given a 13). An enquiry was made and his mark was changed to 13.

This brings me to the point of this post. Should you get a results check?

The answer wasn't very clear, so after some digging (which included filling GIPA request), I found some useful statistics.

For the 2017 HSC 1304 results checks were filed, as of April 13 (whilst it's likely around 3000 "items" were requested, I can't know if this includes raw marks and paper requests).

Of these requests (either out of 1304 or roughly 2600), nine resulted in a mark being changes.

This is obviously extremely low (0.69% success rate).

This really isn't surprising, after all, it's a completely computerised process.

The logical assumption, then, would be that, unless your mark was incredibly low (think 10-15 marks below your expected result), that you should not request a results check service, especially since your mark could go down (I am yet to request what the actual changes were).

Some comments:
- I have a feeling a lot of these checks were simply to get a raw marks report, although I doubt it as rawmarks.info is sparse
- I'm not surprised so few results were changed. What does concern me, however, is the GUI of the MarkManager. The option to select a mark for short answers is a radio button. When markers are marking so many responses it's easily foreseeable that they click the wrong button, we simply have no way of knowing.

In terms of anomalous results enquiries, 30 were filed (from 27 schools) for 54 results. 5 of these resulted in a mark change. I guess it's worth a shot, but your principal is unlikely to do it unless really pushed and presented with a sufficient difference in estimated and actual mark (or internal and external mark).

Why did I do all this? Idk I sorta find it interesting.

Interested in your thoughts.

Lolapupp

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Re: HSC Results Check Service - Is It Worth It?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2020, 09:36:45 pm »
+1
question - if you did in fact get your marks changed, wouldn't that then change your rank and then change the marks of other people in your class??? how do they manage that