Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 09:34:24 am

Author Topic: I havent done LOTE since Yr 9 - Can i succeed in VCE  (Read 4549 times)  Share 

J_Rho

• MOTM: MARCH 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +756
I havent done LOTE since Yr 9 - Can i succeed in VCE
« on: October 16, 2019, 10:22:28 am »
I havent done properly LOTE since Yr 9
Can i succeed in VCE if i do it by distance ed?? I'm prepared to put in the hard yards but is it possible for me to suceed (40+ ss)?
— VCE —
English 30, Further Maths 33, Biology 33, Legal Studies 27, Psychology 32

— University —
Bachelor of Nursing @ Monash
Bachelor of Counselling & Psychological Science @ ACAP

sarangiya

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • 好きこそものの上手なれ ☆ What one likes, one will do well
  • Respect: +383
Re: I havent done LOTE since Yr 9 - Can i succeed in VCE
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2019, 11:09:13 am »
+1
Hey! I'm assuming you're in Year 11 now, right?
Well, nothing's impossible. It is entirely dependent on how skilled you are and how hard you work.
In saying that, however, you should probably acknowledge that 91% of students will not a study score above 40, and the overwhelming majority of these students have studied their LOTE since Year 7 or even before.
It's my personal belief that LOTE subjects are even more difficult to succeed in, as you are also competing against semi-native speakers/people who have the inherent advantage of using their parents as a study resource. Furthermore, most schools only dedicate a period a week or so of class time to LOTE subjects in Years 7 and 8, maybe even in Year 9. This is because teachers are interested in encouraging students to continue the subject without scaring them, and because of time restraints. Consequently, very little learning is done in these early years. Many people find that the subject in Year 10 and Year 11 "packs" a lot to make up for lost time.

Why don't you download some practice exams off the VCAA website to get a feel of the difficulty? Does it look like you could finish that paper, if you had a whole year to study? If you're still not sure, maybe try and find Year 12 LOTE textbooks in a library. Most importantly, ask your LOTE teacher or coordinator! They know you best and may have their own advice to give.

In summary, I think if you desperately want to do this, and try very hard, maybe you can. But it might be important to adopt a realistic perspective on whether achieving the top 9% of the state after only one year of study is an achievable goal.
Best of luck!!
Sometimes you make choices, and sometimes choices make you.

♡ Subjects ♡
2015: Japanese SL [42]
2016: Psychology [43] Philosophy [36] Japanese SL [50] [Premier's Award]
2017: UMEP Further Advanced Japanese [4.5]
2018: Methods [24] English Language [41] Chemistry [31] Psychology [41] Cert III in Allied Health Assistance [4.3]
ATAR: 97.45
2019-2024: Bachelor of Medical Science/Doctor of Medicine @ UNSW

Sarangiya's 사랑하는 VCE Journal
Is Repeating a VCE Subject Worth It?