Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 05:43:25 am

Author Topic: Is VCE/HSC Harder Than Uni?  (Read 2421 times)  Share 

Geoo

• MOTM: DEC 19
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • Class of 2020
  • Respect: +685
Is VCE/HSC Harder Than Uni?
« on: May 22, 2019, 10:58:19 am »
+1
Hello,
Just a question for thought, does anyone find VCE/HSC harder than uni?
I've had my parents and other people (some uni graduates and a few teachers) tell me that they found university much easier than their last two years of high school. I remember one of my friends who is doing uni at them moment doesn't care about their grades as long as they pass, until they need to get better grades to get into another coarse. Just wondering what you guys thought. Did you find it harder in terms of the content they were teaching? Was there more stress in VCE/HSC compared to university? I would also think it depends on the time you did the course and what you did as well. For instance, would you think an arts/business degree less stressful and not as much/ hard content as a science/law/medicine pathway?
What do you guys think?
2020: VCE 93.2
2022: BSci/Arts (Chemistry/Pharmacology and French)@Monash

vox nihili

• National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +1447
Re: Is VCE/HSC Harder Than Uni?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2019, 11:09:45 am »
+5
Hello,
Just a question for thought, does anyone find VCE/HSC harder than uni?
I've had my parents and other people (some uni graduates and a few teachers) tell me that they found university much easier than their last two years of high school. I remember one of my friends who is doing uni at them moment doesn't care about their grades as long as they pass, until they need to get better grades to get into another coarse. Just wondering what you guys thought. Did you find it harder in terms of the content they were teaching? Was there more stress in VCE/HSC compared to university? I would also think it depends on the time you did the course and what you did as well. For instance, would you think an arts/business degree less stressful and not as much/ hard content as a science/law/medicine pathway?
What do you guys think?

Depends what you do at uni. I found uni harder personally, but I also really enjoyed that it was on my own terms a lot more, so the difficulty was more manageable than in VCE.
2013-15: BBiomed (Biochemistry and Molecular Biology), UniMelb
2016-20: MD, UniMelb
2019-20: MPH, UniMelb
2021-: GDipBiostat, USyd

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Im Moment studiere ich kein Deutsch :-(
  • Respect: +864
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2019, 11:27:45 am »
+4
Hi!

I agree with vox - it depends on what you study. Personally I find uni more difficult and my workload is definitely higher than that of the HSC. However, it’s attitude that will determine whether or not uni is stressful, like in high school, if you always prioritise good marks it will stress you out! You can really tell who cares and who doesn’t at uni lol just by looking at how stressed someone is
HSC 2017: English (Standard) // Mathematics // Modern History // Legal Studies // Business Studies
2018-2022: B International Studies/B Media (PR & Advertising) @ UNSW

smamsmo22

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +34
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2019, 08:41:37 am »
+1
Agree with the above posters as well (:
I think my workload is pretty similar to VCE.
I've found it easier than VCE to get work done and maintain a positive mindset throughout (ie; work is more enjoyable) because;
a) at least for me, the actual grade I get isn't so important, as long as I pass. In my course, a 90 vs a 70 isn't going to have an impact on my future, whereas in VCE your uni options are pretty much completely dependent on your numerical score. (I know for people who need to maintain high WAMs for transferring/maintaining scholarships etc wouldn't have the same luxury though).
b) I'm studying things I am genuinely interested in and know are relevant to my future profession.

On the flipside, there is a lot more content, which is more overwhelming I guess. I've accepted that I'm not going to know it perfectly and that's also alleviated some stress. The learning is also a lot more independent, which I'm sure you've heard before. You need more self-discipline, and that can be a good thing for some and a not so great thing for others. (:
2018 - VCE - ATAR: 99.75 [English, Chemistry, Methods, French, PE, Bio]
2019 - Monash

brenden

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2593
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2019, 11:22:52 am »
+1
As others have said, it depends on a lot of different things, probably. I had pretty hard time in high-school and, whilst the workload of university was probably greater in some ways given I was aiming for good grades, I still find university a lot of easier and more enjoyable.
✌️just do what makes you happy ✌️

Gianni Farfaglia

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2019, 12:59:34 pm »
+1
Hello  as other people have said it very dependent on what you end up studying. The reality is if you're trying to get into a prestigious university and do a competitive course its going to be hard. However in saying this you'e more likely to be studying stuff that interests you more than it does in VCE. In my experience doing Science at The University of Melbourne, the workload has been definitely more intense than VCE but I'm studying things I find a lot more interesting and relevant so I'm enjoying it more despite being a lot harder. Really depends on your course and dependent on if you're aiming for a competitive postgraduate course which requires certain grades vs just aiming for a pass.