Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 24, 2024, 11:51:11 pm

Author Topic: Standard English CSSA Paper Two Discussion Thread!  (Read 2911 times)  Share 

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
Standard English CSSA Paper Two Discussion Thread!
« on: August 01, 2017, 10:27:24 am »
+1
ENGLISH IS OVER!

Which sections went your way? Where were you stuck? What did you blitz?

Standard English Students: Pat yourself on the back because English is ovvvvver!
Congratulations! Please tell us what you thought of the paper!

Papers were required to be held until today (Thursday 17th) so we can now chat about the questions and the approaches we took. However, please do not share copies of the exam or anything similar!
« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 01:58:53 pm by jamonwindeyer »
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

blasonduo

• HSC Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Schrodinger waved while Heisenberg didn't?
  • Respect: +356
Re: Standard English CSSA Paper Two Discussion Thread!
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2017, 11:14:03 am »
+1
Much easier than paper 1! :D
Module B's question was the hardest as I needed to mould my thesis, but the other 2 fell into place really easily.
2018: UNSW B science (physics)/B education

Kicking myself into gear

HSC Physics Topics 1 & 2 Exam!

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1566
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2017, 11:49:19 am »
+1
Definitely liked the questions in Paper Two than Paper One. My question for Mod B was very similar to our previous assessment task back in term three, so I pretty much repeated what I said in that essay. Question for Mod A was actually not that bad. As for Mod C, I didn't like it as much and couldn't relate it to my related text. I pretty much spent like 20 minutes trying to make up my analysis for my ort on the spot to try and fit the question. As for my thesis statement, felt like I was rewording the question instead of stating my argument, so I'm really worried about that :/
Which will hold greater rule over you? Your fear or your curiosity?

Please note that I am no longer active on the forums.
If you need any assistance, please message an admin or a natmod instead.

lucyjayne

• Trailblazer
  • Sad backwards is das und das ist nicht gut
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2017, 11:53:58 am »
+1
I managed to make everything up. Probably not my best exam but I wrote two booklets for each essay, definitely found Module A the easiest as it was broad but the others were alright too.   
HSC 2017: Legal Studies, English (Standard), Modern History, Ancient History, Studies of Religion II, German Continuers.

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +13
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2017, 11:55:50 am »
+2
Oddly kind from CSSA. Was expecting some obscure essay questions after paper one but 2 out of the 3 questions were basically my prepared essays. Hopefully a similar outcome for my other subjects :D

JD99

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2017, 11:58:54 am »
Eeeek I found Module B awful! only wrote 4 pages....... :( :(

Module A and C were okay...but I think I waffled on a load...eek  :-\
Module C was probably the best question I thought....what about everyone else??

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Im Moment studiere ich kein Deutsch :-(
  • Respect: +864
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2017, 12:18:37 pm »
+2
sooooo much better than yesterday, that's for sure. i found module a and b to be my favourite questions - aligned with exactly what i wanted to talk about. module c i think i waffled on too much about the plot, but other than that, i was really happy with the questions and i reckon i did a lot better than yesterday. :-)
« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 12:29:12 pm by fantasticbeasts3 »
HSC 2017: English (Standard) // Mathematics // Modern History // Legal Studies // Business Studies
2018-2022: B International Studies/B Media (PR & Advertising) @ UNSW

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2017, 12:24:58 pm »
Wow! Overall the vibes from this paper seem to be pretty positive.

How did you all go with studying for Paper Two straight after Paper One? Exhausting, or you managed it? Will you do things differently when it comes to HSC?

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +13
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2017, 12:31:04 pm »
+1

How did you all go with studying for Paper Two straight after Paper One? Exhausting, or you managed it? Will you do things differently when it comes to HSC?

Spent probably 7 hours memorising yesterday. My brain was physically hurting. I'm going to try and write each essay at least once a week leading up to the HSC because I don't want to put myself through the pain again. 

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Im Moment studiere ich kein Deutsch :-(
  • Respect: +864
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2017, 12:33:25 pm »

straight after paper 1 i had a nap for about 3 hours so that really helped with studying for paper 2 later. i reckon i would like to do more practice essays before the hsc :-)

however, during the exam MY HAND WOULD NOT MOVE FAST ENOUGH. i had to cut down a lot of my analysis for my last essay because i physically couldn't move my hand faster but other than that i'm quite happy with how everything went
HSC 2017: English (Standard) // Mathematics // Modern History // Legal Studies // Business Studies
2018-2022: B International Studies/B Media (PR & Advertising) @ UNSW

JD99

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2017, 12:38:40 pm »
+1
Yeppp full essay practice is HIGH on my priority list for the weeks leading up the HSC!
now that its over, i'm really glad we had to do it! otherwise I would never  be prepared for paper 2, the switching between modules did my head!! and my neck??? OUCH!  >:( ;D

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1566
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2017, 01:04:40 pm »
+1

I actually studied for Paper One AND Paper Two day before Paper one. Timed myself and everything because I wanted to train my hand for the real thing. This actually paid off! My hand just kept writing during Paper two today and got used to the strain. Didn't need to massage my hand during the exam. Yesterday after paper one, I just read all my quotes for all my texts and did a last minute analysis for my Mod C ORT last night. So I had time to study for my other exams.

I'll definitely try and do more practice essays (under timed conditions) before the real thing. Wished I spent more time on studying my Mod C ORT :/ My analysis was so bad because I thought I could easily bs it. Boy I was wrong. I definitely need more text evidence for all my modules, because I only memorised three quotes for each poem/key idea/character because I got lazy and didn't want to memorise any more quotes. I was lucky today that all my quotes worked well with the questions. Though, can't risk it for the HSC.

Which will hold greater rule over you? Your fear or your curiosity?

Please note that I am no longer active on the forums.
If you need any assistance, please message an admin or a natmod instead.

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2017, 01:19:32 pm »
The best thing you can do now is evaluate how you dealt with Paper One and Two in practice and in the exam and move forward from this. So it's good to see everyone above has recognised what they will do differently or the same next time. When you get your feedback for the trials, definitely take it on board and power on again - this is why we have trials! They're a trial for the real deal - so you'd be selling yourself short by not looking into all of this properly. Congratulations to everyone finished English! Power on from here :)