Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 23, 2024, 11:46:29 pm

Author Topic: Distinctively Visual - Douglas Stewart's poems  (Read 7864 times)  Share 

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1566
Distinctively Visual - Douglas Stewart's poems
« on: July 13, 2017, 06:03:33 pm »
Out of all the topics for english, I'm really struggling with Distinctively Visual. But more specifically, I don't understand Douglas Stewart's poems. I don't see how his poems relate back to Module A's rubric. I can see how Away relates back to discovery or how Billy Elliot relates to transitioning and exploring new worlds ...
Which will hold greater rule over you? Your fear or your curiosity?

Please note that I am no longer active on the forums.
If you need any assistance, please message an admin or a natmod instead.

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
Re: Distinctively Visual - Douglas Stewart's poems
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2017, 12:14:14 am »
Out of all the topics for english, I'm really struggling with Distinctively Visual. But more specifically, I don't understand Douglas Stewart's poems. I don't see how his poems relate back to Module A's rubric. I can see how Away relates back to discovery or how Billy Elliot relates to transitioning and exploring new worlds ...

Hey beatek! Welcome to the forums ;D I didn't study your text so can't answer specifically (I hope someone else can), but distinctively visual is quite broad as it requires you to appreciate how the composer creates images and visuals for the reader. So, as we read the poetry, when we picture the plot/setting in our head - How does the composer shape that picture we form? For example, say you are reading the Hunger Games - How close is the picture in your head to the one of Katniss that appears in the movie, which might be what the composer envisaged? How is your view affected?

And finally, how these visuals affect ideas. So, how does the composer use these visuals to add an extra layer of meaning to their text ;D

Natasha.97

• NSW MVP - 2017
  • Forum Leader
  • ~
  • Respect: +667
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2017, 04:46:30 pm »
+2

Hi beatek! My text for Mod A is the same as yours :)

My understanding of his poems:
- Lady Feeding the Cats: Showing the relationship between humanity and nature (Outcasts from both humanity and nature come together in this brief moment) and this is shown through metaphors, anthropomorphism, and colour imagery, allowing the responders to visualise the action

- Wombat: Once again, the relationship between mankind and nature (Prominent theme throughout!) but focusing on its fragility, shown through colour imagery, alliteration, and onomatopoeia to 'create an image' in your mind

- Snow-gum: This time, it's showing Stewart's unabashed appreciation of the tree's beauty, shown through figurative/descriptive language, and repetition (use of perfect). In terms of visualisation, it's the use of words such as "leaf upon leaf" or "creamy trunk's solidity" just to name a few.

- Nesting-Time: Back to the overarching theme of the relationship between mankind and nature. Colour imagery, onomatopoeia, and repetition to 'create that image'

- Moths: Not sure about the theme, but I think it is once again back to the appreciation of Nature. The moths' movement can be visualised through the use of water imagery, metaphors, and repetition

- Fireflies: Also not sure about the theme for this poem. Similes, colour imagery, and repetition is used for visualisation

- Waterlily: Appreciation of nature, techniques such as metaphors and colour imagery are used for the "image" in your head

- Cave-Painting: Techniques such as colour imagery and similes (I feel like this is the odd one out of the poems :P All the others relate back to nature...)

Hope this helps, and good luck with your trials!  ;D ;D
Life is weird and crazy as heck but what can you do?

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2017, 05:25:19 pm »
Hey beatek! Welcome to the forums ;D I didn't study your text so can't answer specifically (I hope someone else can), but distinctively visual is quite broad as it requires you to appreciate how the composer creates images and visuals for the reader. So, as we read the poetry, when we picture the plot/setting in our head - How does the composer shape that picture we form? For example, say you are reading the Hunger Games - How close is the picture in your head to the one of Katniss that appears in the movie, which might be what the composer envisaged? How is your view affected?

And finally, how these visuals affect ideas. So, how does the composer use these visuals to add an extra layer of meaning to their text ;D

Hi, jamonwindeyer! Thanks so much for your explanation! The module makes so much sense now :3

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2017, 05:33:38 pm »
Hi beatek! My text for Mod A is the same as yours :)

My understanding of his poems:
- Lady Feeding the Cats: Showing the relationship between humanity and nature (Outcasts from both humanity and nature come together in this brief moment) and this is shown through metaphors, anthropomorphism, and colour imagery, allowing the responders to visualise the action

- Wombat: Once again, the relationship between mankind and nature (Prominent theme throughout!) but focusing on its fragility, shown through colour imagery, alliteration, and onomatopoeia to 'create an image' in your mind

- Snow-gum: This time, it's showing Stewart's unabashed appreciation of the tree's beauty, shown through figurative/descriptive language, and repetition (use of perfect). In terms of visualisation, it's the use of words such as "leaf upon leaf" or "creamy trunk's solidity" just to name a few.

- Nesting-Time: Back to the overarching theme of the relationship between mankind and nature. Colour imagery, onomatopoeia, and repetition to 'create that image'

- Moths: Not sure about the theme, but I think it is once again back to the appreciation of Nature. The moths' movement can be visualised through the use of water imagery, metaphors, and repetition

- Fireflies: Also not sure about the theme for this poem. Similes, colour imagery, and repetition is used for visualisation

- Waterlily: Appreciation of nature, techniques such as metaphors and colour imagery are used for the "image" in your head

- Cave-Painting: Techniques such as colour imagery and similes (I feel like this is the odd one out of the poems :P All the others relate back to nature...)

Hope this helps, and good luck with your trials!  ;D ;D

Hey 13cheungjn1, thank you for explaining each of Stewart's poems and how they relate back to the module. Do we have to learn ALL poems and can we just pick specific ones to write about in our trials/HSC?

As for the poem 'Moths', it's about Stewart's amazement of the moths taking flight from the tree (Such a blaze of snow ... moths in the air) and him witnessing this natural event. Same things for 'Fireflies' (because they too are flying around the landscape).

Good luck with your trials as well! :)

Natasha.97

• NSW MVP - 2017
  • Forum Leader
  • ~
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2017, 05:49:04 pm »
Hey 13cheungjn1, thank you for explaining each of Stewart's poems and how they relate back to the module. Do we have to learn ALL poems and can we just pick specific ones to write about in our trials/HSC?

As for the poem 'Moths', it's about Stewart's amazement of the moths taking flight from the tree (Such a blaze of snow ... moths in the air) and him witnessing this natural event. Same things for 'Fireflies' (because they too are flying around the landscape).

Good luck with your trials as well! :)

Hi :) It all depends on the question they give you! The assessment I've had for Mod A specified that I had to use "at least 2", whereas in the 2016 HSC paper, there was an extract from Lady Feeding the Cats, specifically the last stanza (e-copy doesn't have it, I know this from my teacher who gave it as holiday homework), so the safest bet in my opinion would be yes, learn all the poems, but have a few overarching themes between most of the poems, put them into categories of 2-3 (imo you can't really write more than 3 otherwise your analysis could turn out to be brief, but that is based on my slow writing speed. You may be able to write 1000+ words in the time frame given, then by all means write more than 3)

So also kind of appreciation for nature? Sweet :) thanks for the clarification :DD

~

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2017, 06:00:32 pm »
Hi :) It all depends on the question they give you! The assessment I've had for Mod A specified that I had to use "at least 2", whereas in the 2016 HSC paper, there was an extract from Lady Feeding the Cats, specifically the last stanza (e-copy doesn't have it, I know this from my teacher who gave it as holiday homework), so the safest bet in my opinion would be yes, learn all the poems, but have a few overarching themes between most of the poems, put them into categories of 2-3 (imo you can't really write more than 3 otherwise your analysis could turn out to be brief, but that is based on my slow writing speed. You may be able to write 1000+ words in the time frame given, then by all means write more than 3)

So also kind of appreciation for nature? Sweet :) thanks for the clarification :DD

~

ooh thats alot of poems to memorise  :'( My assessment for this module was different because it was a group oral task and we didn't get the chance to write an essay for Stewart's poems. Thanks for the help again! :))

Just adding on from earlier, 'Moths' and 'Fireflies' also talks about the 'infinite potential' of nature and its capabilities.

Natasha.97

• NSW MVP - 2017
  • Forum Leader
  • ~
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2017, 06:07:17 pm »
ooh thats alot of poems to memorise  :'( My assessment for this module was different because it was a group oral task and we didn't get the chance to write an essay for Stewart's poems. Thanks for the help again! :))

Just adding on from earlier, 'Moths' and 'Fireflies' also talks about the 'infinite potential' of nature and its capabilities.

Try to use different study techniques to memorise them easily. Write flash cards for a theme and the relevant quotes, and have a different set for each poem and you should be all set :) this was the method that worked for me in my assessment!

:O it does! *Adds that to notes*

You're welcome   ;D ;D