Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 08:12:09 pm

Author Topic: How did everyone find it?  (Read 8180 times)  Share 

michak

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +21
  • School: Westbourne Grammar School
  • School Grad Year: 2012
Re: How did everyone find it?
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2012, 10:20:21 pm »
Don't worry about one question it was only 2 marks
Im sure you did really well with the rest of the paper

Thanks! I hope. However I think I got the Court of Appeal precedent question wrong too. Damn. Are you absolutely sure it was proclamation?

Well it said royal assent had already been given - as in the past tense
also it was an extract from the commonwealth gazette which is where parliament notifies the public what has been become law
So im pretty sure
2011: Bio [36]
2012: Legal [42] PE [43] Chem [33] English [40] Methods [25] 
ATAR: 93.30
2013: B. Arts at Monash University
2014: Bachelor of Laws/Bachelor of Arts at Monash

hjm2

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
  • School: St. Joseph's College Geelong
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2012, 10:29:06 pm »
Didn't it say explain the process that is being described in the notice above?
They were only explicitly taking about royal assent and the fact that it had been given on a certain day. Although it was in the gazette they were not talking about proclamation and I believe that if that was the answer VCAA were looking for they would have made it more clear about the enactment of the law. Therefore I had royal assent, although my teacher, a VCAA assessor, said they will most likely accept both.   
VCE 2012: ATAR - 97.75
English [38] Further [41] Accounting [46] Business [47] Legal [50]
2013: Arts/LLB @ Monash Clayton

queen.muffin

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2012, 10:32:54 pm »
How did everyone answer the Supreme Court precedent one? I'm a bit confused about that :S
2012: Biology, Further Mathematics, Physics, English, Legal Studies

2013-2015: Bachelor of Arts @ University of Melbourne (Criminology and French)

hjm2

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2012, 10:36:03 pm »
How did everyone answer the Supreme Court precedent one? I'm a bit confused about that :S

Had to be distinguishing I believe.

KristyDanielle

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2012, 10:39:01 pm »

Had to be distinguishing I believe.

I totally screwed up that one. It was only after the exam that I realised my answer was absolute rubbish :P

michak

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2012, 10:39:39 pm »
They were only explicitly taking about royal assent and the fact that it had been given on a certain day. Although it was in the gazette they were not talking about proclamation and I believe that if that was the answer VCAA were looking for they would have made it more clear about the enactment of the law. Therefore I had royal assent, although my teacher, a VCAA assessor, said they will most likely accept both.   

They were talking about the assent in a past tense
And the gazette notifies the public when a bill has become legislation and now enforceable - which is what proclamation is

meganrobyn

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +62
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2012, 10:41:40 pm »

It asked for the stage "referred to" - so, yeah, RA. Proclamation is certainly implied as the next step, but the extract doesn't refer to it and doesn't give any date for commencement.
[Update: full for 2018.] I give Legal lectures through CPAP, and am an author for the CPAP 'Legal Fundamentals' textbook and the Legal 3/4 Study Guide.
Available for private tutoring in English and Legal Studies.
Experience in Legal 3/4 assessing; author of Legal textbook; degrees in Law and English; VCE teaching experience in Legal Studies and English. Legal Studies [50] English [50] way back when.
Good luck!

hjm2

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2012, 10:44:04 pm »

It asked for the stage "referred to" - so, yeah, RA. Proclamation is certainly implied as the next step, but the extract doesn't refer to it and doesn't give any date for commencement.

That is exactly how I interpreted it. However it was highly ambiguous. Thanks for clearing that up. Do you think that they will except both?

michak

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2012, 10:45:20 pm »
Why can't it be proclamtion?
I have always been told that the gazette is used to notify that a bill has been given assent and this is parliament proclaiming the legislation
I don't see how it could be wrong
It was talked about in the past tense as well, as this is what happens as this extract from the gazette is the proclamation

KristyDanielle

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2012, 10:45:38 pm »

Yep. Exactly. I knew it had to be royal assent. Let's just hope the examiners accept both responses for all our sakes!

michak

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2012, 10:47:01 pm »
Bloody VCAA the better accept both because there will be an uproar even if its just me
Megan could you also answer the question about the precedent on the court of appeal and trial division?

meganrobyn

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2012, 10:47:22 pm »

That is exactly how I interpreted it. However it was highly ambiguous. Thanks for clearing that up. Do you think that they will except both?

Hard to tell. Based on the wording of the question I would be in favour of just RA. But it's only 2 marks; important, but less important than other ones ;)
[Update: full for 2018.] I give Legal lectures through CPAP, and am an author for the CPAP 'Legal Fundamentals' textbook and the Legal 3/4 Study Guide.
Experience in Legal 3/4 assessing; author of Legal textbook; degrees in Law and English; VCE teaching experience in Legal Studies and English. Legal Studies [50] English [50] way back when.
Good luck!

KristyDanielle

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2012, 10:49:39 pm »
Why can't it be proclamtion?
I have always been told that the gazette is used to notify that a bill has been given assent and this is parliament proclaiming the legislation
I don't see how it could be wrong
It was talked about in the past tense as well, as this is what happens as this extract from the gazette is the proclamation

Hey, for all we know, you're probably right! I see where you are coming from however I also agree that this question held an enormous amount of ambiguity. But we don't know for sure. So let's just hope for the best!

meganrobyn

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #28 on: November 09, 2012, 10:50:39 pm »
Bloody VCAA the better accept both because there will be an uproar even if its just me
Megan could you also answer the question about the precedent on the court of appeal and trial division?

Well, in my opinion and if I were sitting the exam I would think distinguishing is the only available answer (assuming the cases are on the same area of law, ha ha) - unless I'm missing something??
Good luck!

Jezza

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +3
« Reply #29 on: November 09, 2012, 10:53:12 pm »
My teacher said that Q1a was Royal Assent. I went with Royal Assent, but I was think of saying proclamation instead.