Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 11:37:07 pm

Author Topic: Will my school make me drop methods?  (Read 1912 times)  Share 

Stormbreaker-X

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +31
Will my school make me drop methods?
« on: May 29, 2020, 07:19:37 pm »
So I have failed about 2 test in a row now  :'(
My teacher has not said anything yet, but I am afraid that my school might try and make me drop it if I don't do any better, luckily I have an exam in a few weeks and if I pass that they might let me continue. So we have been graphing things and I just can't do it, I find it difficult. No matter what happens I want to and must keep methods because university prerequisites. My plan right now is to try and pass on the exam I believe the pass mark is around 40% which is pretty high. So what are my options, assuming my school is going to make me drop it what can I do next? Letting go of my only math will defeat the whole purpose of my other subjects since I really must do it. I am so lost in this subject, just last year I can never imagine I would do this bad. The exam will on tech active and I will be allowed to have a bound book, should I just study like a maniac for the next few weeks and hope to improve? I think I have failed because I don't finish my homework.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2020, 07:22:36 pm by Stormbreaker-X »

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +1536
Re: Will my school make me drop methods?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2020, 07:48:45 pm »
+4
They are not allowed to.

The best they can do is make recommendations for you to drop it. In the end, the decision is yours and your parents'.
Experience in teaching at both secondary and tertiary levels.

website // new forum profile

brothanathan

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2020, 07:54:39 pm »
+2
My teacher has not said anything yet, but I am afraid that my school might try and make me drop it if I don't do any better, luckily I have an exam in a few weeks and if I pass that they might let me continue. So we have been graphing things and I just can't do it, I find it difficult. No matter what happens I want to and must keep methods because university prerequisites. My plan right now is to try and pass on the exam I believe the pass mark is around 40% which is pretty high. So what are my options, assuming my school is going to make me drop it what can I do next? Letting go of my only math will defeat the whole purpose of my other subjects since I really must do it. I am so lost in this subject, just last year I can never imagine I would do this bad. The exam will on tech active and I will be allowed to have a bound book, should I just study like a maniac for the next few weeks and hope to improve? I think I have failed because I don't finish my homework.

What were your maths skills like in previous years. Before dropping Methods in Year 11, I personally decided to be dead honest myself with my progression. I reflected back to my earlier years. I never fine-tuned my maths skills growing up, I lacked engagement in maths, once I was challenged by something I wouldn't try to 'understand why I didn't understand it', if someone was explaining to me how to understand it, I was genuinely disinterested or just listened tentatively. I would just skip it and move on. The work you were set to do but not required to submit, I would just skip it. Came 1/2 Methods, I was struggling, real struggling. Not because what was being taught was significantly hard, but I wasn't able to interpret certain concepts and link back to concepts learnt in previous years. There was a brief period before deciding to drop Methods, I met with a very patient teacher regularly to seek support for questions and etc. I didn't understand. But, it eventually came to a point that even if I was actively listening to teacher's explanations, it never clicked. Probably didn't help that my questions lacked specificity or mathematical clarity, if that's a thing.

Maths is one of those subjects that you must maintain your knowledge and skills from every single year. I didn't have a sound understanding of the mathematical language, didn't develop a mathematical brain sufficient for Methods, struggled with those extended response/problem solving questions that expected you to be able to recall things you learnt or briefly learnt in the past decade. I admitted to myself It was to my own detriment that I couldn't progress, not someone else's fault.

It's not impossible to fill in the gaps, but you must be dead honest towards yourself, and ask yourself if you can realistically do so in just a few weeks.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2021, 07:33:38 pm by brothanathan »

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2020, 08:58:49 pm »
+1
Assuming you are in year 12 it is unlikely for them to force you to drop it midway.

Although, it is not unheard of schools making sure that some students don't go into certain subjects when they are in year 10/11 for a number of reasons e.g. keeping their median study scores higher. They obviously don't directly say it but it will be a bit more implicit pushed to the students such as encouraging other subjects, going to do VCAL or just really strong pressure from the school making everything really difficult for the students.

Stormbreaker-X

• Forum Leader
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2020, 09:30:07 pm »
Assuming you are in year 12 it is unlikely for them to force you to drop it midway.

Although, it is not unheard of schools making sure that some students don't go into certain subjects when they are in year 10/11 for a number of reasons e.g. keeping their median study scores higher. They obviously don't directly say it but it will be a bit more implicit pushed to the students such as encouraging other subjects, going to do VCAL or just really strong pressure from the school making everything really difficult for the students.
I am currently in year 11 and I am freaking out because of this, idk about what my school will do and from what I heard people said schools can't stop you. I just hope it never gets to the point where my school will attempt to stop me. There is very little pressure at my school (fortunately), but I won't know for sure what my teachers think.

In reply to the other answers, I am very sure and honest with myself. I must continue no matter what, dropping just can't be an option for me.

colline

• MOTM: NOV 19
  • Forum Obsessive
  • ♡ 2 Timothy 1:7 ♡
  • Respect: +512
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2020, 11:05:38 pm »
+3
I am currently in year 11 and I am freaking out because of this, idk about what my school will do and from what I heard people said schools can't stop you. I just hope it never gets to the point where my school will attempt to stop me. There is very little pressure at my school (fortunately), but I won't know for sure what my teachers think.

In reply to the other answers, I am very sure and honest with myself. I must continue no matter what, dropping just can't be an option for me.

Not 100% certain, but I've heard that a school can only stop you from doing a subject if there's either too little demand for it to run or if the timetable cannot work out.

Since you're still in year 11, you still have more than a year to work on getting better in methods. ;)

VCE: Literature [50] Methods [50] Further [48] Chemistry [40] Biology [33]
2022: Bachelor of Science (Mathematical Economics) @ ANU

brothanathan

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2020, 11:16:46 pm »
+1
Since you're still in year 11, you still have more than a year to work on getting better in methods. ;)

Exactly, if you truly want to improve, Year 11 is 'the' opportunistic year. There's no time to waste :D

a weaponized ikea chair

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +12
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2020, 11:21:02 pm »
+3
They cannot force you to drop methods, but they can make your life difficult if you don't.

For instance, you might have numerous discussions with your methods teacher discussing your suitability in methods or whether you should consider repeating the year.

Basically, they can't kick you out, but they can make ur life miserable until u leave on your own accord.

Stormbreaker-X

• Forum Leader
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2020, 12:15:58 pm »
They cannot force you to drop methods, but they can make your life difficult if you don't.

For instance, you might have numerous discussions with your methods teacher discussing your suitability in methods or whether you should consider repeating the year.

Basically, they can't kick you out, but they can make ur life miserable until u leave on your own accord.
Yes they can and probably will make my life living hell until I improve. I know I still got some time before the exam to make a comeback, but so far I am still very uncertain about my scores.

Stormbreaker-X

• Forum Leader
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2020, 01:36:55 pm »
Just an average public school, it is ranked around the 200th-ish. I assume if my school is not doing well then no one would care if I fail?

The Cat In The Hat

• MOTM: NOV 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Do all to the glory of God. - 1 Corinthians 10:31
  • Respect: +344
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2020, 11:16:32 am »
+1
If you're not finding it easy to do Methods, wouldn't it be difficult to therefore enjoy something that had it as a prerequisite? Just a thought. Also, could you switch to Further or something?

Just do your best, I guess, and stick to it if you're certain. Remember, they can't kick you out completely.
VCE 20
HHD MM Revs (F/R) Eng T&T
ATAR 85
Uni 21-24: BNursing/BMidwifery @ Deakin
Y1T2:
HNM102
HNN122 (double)
HNN114
I hope I don't fail....
Listens to Amira Willighagen and Alma Deutscher and a little Marjolein Acke
~English - PM for P&P/creatives help~
Creative excerpts
Nur/Mid uni journal

For Narnia and for Aslan!

she/her

Basically inactive now. May change. Have a nice day.

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2020, 02:36:40 pm »
+4
If you're not finding it easy to do Methods, wouldn't it be difficult to therefore enjoy something that had it as a prerequisite? Just a thought. Also, could you switch to Further or something?

Just do your best, I guess, and stick to it if you're certain. Remember, they can't kick you out completely.
I've considered this point before since it seems logical but in reality, it isn't that simple imo.
Plenty courses have prerequisites but then go onto teach you that content again or not even go over it. Also, the way of learning is a lot different between university and highschool so some people may be better at uni.
 E.g. I think for Biomed you need methods but in the course, it is unlikely you will do calculus whilst in undergrad unless you want to start deriving formulas.

arcalahwolf

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2020, 02:11:30 pm »
+2
I'm in a similar boat to you, really. I missed a lot of content due to mental health issues, but I've mostly caught up so far. I'm just struggling like crazy with quadratics. I have exams next week, would you like to study together, maybe? My email is: [email protected]