Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 09:13:07 am

Author Topic: The Most Stressful Year of My Life (Jaime’s HSC Journey)  (Read 2589 times)

jaimexlea

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: +5
The Most Stressful Year of My Life (Jaime’s HSC Journey)
« on: November 27, 2019, 07:44:09 pm »
+11
hi everyone, i’m jaime and i thought i’d give this a try because it seems fun!

a little info on me:
i’m doing my hsc in 2020, and my subjects are:
• english advanced
• ancient history
• business studies
• korean beginners (via distance ed)
• legal studies

my goal for the end of the hsc is to get an atar of 85+ to get into my dream course: b.arts (korean studies)/b. media (comms&journalism) at unsw. this is the only uni i’ve seen that offers this double degree, and i’m determined to get in lmao. not exactly sure what i want to do as a profession though - currently tossing up teaching english in korea, or being a journalist/social media marketer/something along the lines of that.

the thing is, i live in a small country town and go to a school that has never ranked higher than 520 (according to bettereducation) and that kinda worries me? especially because my best internal rankings are in business and legal where i’ve ranked 2nd for prelim. i’m worried that i won’t get the atar that i need, especially considering the people that go to my school rarely seem to get band 6s - even band 5s aren’t common.

it sounds stupid, but i REALLY don’t know what i’m going to do with my life if i don’t get into that course.

so, that’s why i’m here i guess. i really want to do well in my studies for the next year, and this is how i’m going to document everything (unless i forget oof)

Ionic Doc

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +212
Re: The Most Stressful Year of My Life (Jaime’s HSC Journey)
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2019, 08:44:46 pm »
+5
hi everyone, i’m jaime and i thought i’d give this a try because it seems fun!

a little info on me:
i’m doing my hsc in 2020, and my subjects are:
• english advanced
• ancient history
• business studies
• korean beginners (via distance ed)
• legal studies

my goal for the end of the hsc is to get an atar of 85+ to get into my dream course: b.arts (korean studies)/b. media (comms&journalism) at unsw. this is the only uni i’ve seen that offers this double degree, and i’m determined to get in lmao. not exactly sure what i want to do as a profession though - currently tossing up teaching english in korea, or being a journalist/social media marketer/something along the lines of that.

the thing is, i live in a small country town and go to a school that has never ranked higher than 520 (according to bettereducation) and that kinda worries me? especially because my best internal rankings are in business and legal where i’ve ranked 2nd for prelim. i’m worried that i won’t get the atar that i need, especially considering the people that go to my school rarely seem to get band 6s - even band 5s aren’t common.

it sounds stupid, but i REALLY don’t know what i’m going to do with my life if i don’t get into that course.

so, that’s why i’m here i guess. i really want to do well in my studies for the next year, and this is how i’m going to document everything (unless i forget oof)

Hey Jaimie
Welcome to ATAR NOTES (AN for short),
You have a pretty neat line of subjects, which seem to replicate what you want to study at UNSW. Nice  :)

I wouldn't worry too much about where your school ranks. There are countless people over AN who have gotten 90+ ATAR'S for the first time in ages for their school (Bri MT is a great example).
I guess as long as your determined and willing to put in the effort then everything else will fall in place. My current school (also somewhat in the countryside)  isn't so great either but I keep telling myself that I'm gonna give it my best shot next year and hopefully have no regrets at the end of VCE, I'm sure you tell yourself the same thing.
I'm not gonna lie though, the thought of not getting into your dream course is pretty hellish, but as so many before us have done, there are plenty of other paths/options to get to where we want to be, so don't overstress.

Well great to meet you and i look forward to seeing more updates from you in the future.
See you soon  :D
2019/2020 - Psychology | Biology | Chemistry | Methods | Further | English
2021 - Science @ Melbourne University

r1ckworthy

• NSW MVP - 2019
  • HSC Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +305
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2019, 08:50:16 pm »
+6
Hey jaimexlea! Welcome to ATARNotes ;D

It's great that you have got a course you're aiming for. I've only figured out what course I would love to get into to at the start of term 2, and even then I've changed so many times. Hopefully, it becomes a motivating factor for you to work hard!

You've got an interesting set of subjects- why did you choose them? And what part of the degree attracts you the most?

In terms of your ATAR goal, I would set it aside and focus on working hard throughout the year. Right now, just reflect on prelims and what you could have done in order to gain a better rank- should you have studied more, tested yourself with specific topics or work on time management? Reflect on these issues and then put them in practice for the coming year. I wouldn't give much thought to school rankings and stuff like that. Like Ionic Doc above mentioned, there are countless people who have scored exceptionally well in their circumstances. You're already focused on your academic goal- proof of that is starting a journal on ATARNotes- so you've already taken the first step :). Think about it like you're a sports coach. Throughout the game, you won't be looking at the scoreboard all the time, right? you will be thinking about tactics, strategies and so on in order for that scoreboard to be in your favour. In the same way, you should treat your results up to the HSC as indicators of where you are headed. If it is too low, reflect on your current strategies, ask what it is you could have done better and keep going!

Figure out how to work smart as well. Read over all the study guides spread out through the ATARNotes forum, and see to it that you use these resources effectively!

So yeah, in short, don't worry :). As long as the effort is there and is being put in the right place, you should be fine! Keen for more updates ;D.
HSC 2019: English Advanced || Mathematics || Mathematics Extension 1 || Physics || Chemistry || Science Extension || Ancient History ||

Bachelor of Physiotherapy @ ACU

The Yr12 journey- a diary I "hope" to update... || Halfway through Year 12... lessons I've learned so far. || Check out my youtube channel!

Grace0702

• MOTM: OCT 19
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +32
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2019, 01:51:13 pm »
+6
Hiya Jamie!

I think it's great that you have a plan for the end of the year, it allows you to define a clear path create a plan of attack! However to begin with, I say focus on achieving your personal best, that is all any of us can hope to achieve. You may even surprise yourself in the end. I remember this time last I was hoping for an 80.0+ ATAR, mid-year my results improved and I thought an 85.0 sounded achievable, and now that i've reached the end, I raised my hopes even more for a 90.0+ ATAR (fingers crossed). In saying this I just want to let you know plans change, so be aware of that, you may discover a passion for something that you barley even know of right now, or realise that you are able to achieve more than you originally set out, so in the mean time, just try your best! The hard work and effort you put in now will reward you when your HSC journey comes to an end!

I'm excited to see future updates! Good luck with the year ahead!!  ;D
HSC 2019: Advanced Maths 92 || Standard English 89 || Physics 80 || Business Studies
95 || Information Processes and Technology 94 || Studies of Religion 1 45

ATAR: 96.05

2020: B Engineering/B Commerce @USYD

jaimexlea

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2020, 10:18:25 pm »
+2
Hey Jaimie
Welcome to ATAR NOTES (AN for short),
You have a pretty neat line of subjects, which seem to replicate what you want to study at UNSW. Nice  :)

I wouldn't worry too much about where your school ranks. There are countless people over AN who have gotten 90+ ATAR'S for the first time in ages for their school (Bri MT is a great example).
I guess as long as your determined and willing to put in the effort then everything else will fall in place. My current school (also somewhat in the countryside)  isn't so great either but I keep telling myself that I'm gonna give it my best shot next year and hopefully have no regrets at the end of VCE, I'm sure you tell yourself the same thing.
I'm not gonna lie though, the thought of not getting into your dream course is pretty hellish, but as so many before us have done, there are plenty of other paths/options to get to where we want to be, so don't overstress.

Well great to meet you and i look forward to seeing more updates from you in the future.
See you soon  :D
thanks! this has lifted a bit of the stress i had as everywhere i’d searched people had heavily stressed the fact that high-ranked school = high ATAR

sending good luck for your VCE!

Hey jaimexlea! Welcome to ATARNotes ;D

It's great that you have got a course you're aiming for. I've only figured out what course I would love to get into to at the start of term 2, and even then I've changed so many times. Hopefully, it becomes a motivating factor for you to work hard!

You've got an interesting set of subjects- why did you choose them? And what part of the degree attracts you the most?

In terms of your ATAR goal, I would set it aside and focus on working hard throughout the year. Right now, just reflect on prelims and what you could have done in order to gain a better rank- should you have studied more, tested yourself with specific topics or work on time management? Reflect on these issues and then put them in practice for the coming year. I wouldn't give much thought to school rankings and stuff like that. Like Ionic Doc above mentioned, there are countless people who have scored exceptionally well in their circumstances. You're already focused on your academic goal- proof of that is starting a journal on ATARNotes- so you've already taken the first step :). Think about it like you're a sports coach. Throughout the game, you won't be looking at the scoreboard all the time, right? you will be thinking about tactics, strategies and so on in order for that scoreboard to be in your favour. In the same way, you should treat your results up to the HSC as indicators of where you are headed. If it is too low, reflect on your current strategies, ask what it is you could have done better and keep going!

Figure out how to work smart as well. Read over all the study guides spread out through the ATARNotes forum, and see to it that you use these resources effectively!

So yeah, in short, don't worry :). As long as the effort is there and is being put in the right place, you should be fine! Keen for more updates ;D.

hi! when i chose my subjects i basically ruled out pdhpe/STEM subjects as i was not interested in them and had no confidence in myself in those subjects! after that, there really wasn’t much to choose from, but luckily they were the subjects that i was happy to be in, and i find them interesting :)

about the degree - i’d love to be an english teacher in korea, and so i’d like to continue korean into uni (as well as i’m finding it really fun, if i’m being honest!). if i’m not able to do that, then journalism would be my next career path, as it’s always seemed interesting!

i like your sports analogy (is that what it’s called?) - it’s a great way to put into perspective what i’m aiming for!

Hiya Jamie!

I think it's great that you have a plan for the end of the year, it allows you to define a clear path create a plan of attack! However to begin with, I say focus on achieving your personal best, that is all any of us can hope to achieve. You may even surprise yourself in the end. I remember this time last I was hoping for an 80.0+ ATAR, mid-year my results improved and I thought an 85.0 sounded achievable, and now that i've reached the end, I raised my hopes even more for a 90.0+ ATAR (fingers crossed). In saying this I just want to let you know plans change, so be aware of that, you may discover a passion for something that you barley even know of right now, or realise that you are able to achieve more than you originally set out, so in the mean time, just try your best! The hard work and effort you put in now will reward you when your HSC journey comes to an end!

I'm excited to see future updates! Good luck with the year ahead!!  ;D

thank you so much!! i hope you got that 90+ atar, it sounds like you deserved it :D

Mod edit: Please refrain from posting multiple times in succession! Hit the 'quote' button for every post you want to reply to, type your response, and repeat! :-)

Mod edit #2: If you want to know what it's like studying media at UNSW, I'd be happy to help you out - I'm doing PR & Advertising, but experiences are similar and most of my media friends do journalism!
« Last Edit: January 04, 2020, 10:46:20 pm by fantasticbeasts3 »

jaimexlea

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2020, 10:27:44 pm »
+5

i like how the last thing i wrote was ‘(unless i forget oof)’, which is exactly what i have done /facepalm/

happy late new year!

it’s currently the holidays, and for the past two weeks i haven’t been as productive as i’d hoped. in the first week i had organised all of my handouts from last term, started my holiday essays, and had managed to read half of ‘hag-seed’ - but once i went to my grandparents’ house (where i currently am) i just... stopped? i have been procrastinating doing anything and now i am stressing even though i still have a few weeks to get everything done!

starting yesterday i have been going to the public library to try and get into a study mood, and let me tell you - i’m waaaaay more productive there! i put on my ~lo fi chill beats playlist~ and smashed through typing up my legal notes and business studies homework. i’m trying to get there as many days as i can.

well, that’s all i can think of now. but my goal from now on in 2020 is to study harder and smarter and update this journal at least once a week! wish me luck~

Pearlmilktea

• MOTM: DEC 19
  • Forum Regular
  • "fun n fresh"
  • Respect: +44
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2020, 05:00:16 pm »
+3
it’s currently the holidays, and for the past two weeks i haven’t been as productive as i’d hoped. in the first week i had organised all of my handouts from last term, started my holiday essays, and had managed to read half of ‘hag-seed’ - but once i went to my grandparents’ house (where i currently am) i just... stopped? i have been procrastinating doing anything and now i am stressing even though i still have a few weeks to get everything done!

starting yesterday i have been going to the public library to try and get into a study mood, and let me tell you - i’m waaaaay more productive there! i put on my ~lo fi chill beats playlist~ and smashed through typing up my legal notes and business studies homework. i’m trying to get there as many days as i can.

Hiya! I'm so excited to have another year 12 journal to read :)
Don't worry about working inconsistently during the holidays - time to rest is still incredibly important, especially since year 12 can be reasonably intense at times. You still sound like you have done lots of work tho - good job!!

I totally agree with the benefits of going to public libraries. I got the bulk of my holiday hw done in them and am so grateful they exist ! I tried to clump my study days there together so that I could chill out near the end of the holidays.

Good luck with everything Jaime and I'm looking forward to future updates!
HSC 2018: French Continuers (92)
HSC 2019: Biology (94), English Adv (92), French Extension  (41), Legal Studies (91) and Italian Beginners (95).

ATAR: 98.45
HSC All-rounder :)

Gracie :D

jaimexlea

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2020, 01:58:24 am »
+3
Hiya! I'm so excited to have another year 12 journal to read :)
Don't worry about working inconsistently during the holidays - time to rest is still incredibly important, especially since year 12 can be reasonably intense at times. You still sound like you have done lots of work tho - good job!!

I totally agree with the benefits of going to public libraries. I got the bulk of my holiday hw done in them and am so grateful they exist ! I tried to clump my study days there together so that I could chill out near the end of the holidays.

Good luck with everything Jaime and I'm looking forward to future updates!

thank you ^__^
yep, i find the library the best place to get my work done! i’m also trying to arrange my study days so that i’m at the library mon-fri this week and maybe mon-tue next week, and then i’ll be done (fingers crossed!) so i have the rest of the holidays to relax

caffinatedloz

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +856
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2020, 06:04:30 pm »
Hey Jainexlea! How did you end up going with that homework? Have you had lots of time to relax? ;D