Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 09:23:12 pm

Author Topic: The CASual Journey to the End | Ashmi's VCE journal アシュ  (Read 76805 times)

ashmi

• MOTM: June 20
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Living an illusion
  • Respect: +660
Re: The CASual Journey to the End | Ashmi's VCE journal アシュ
« Reply #255 on: October 09, 2020, 05:42:12 pm »
+8
Replies are in the spoilers!

CM🍫
Gosh I was totally joking (and everyone likes different things which is why AN is so cool) - also I feel like your brain is more wired towards the mathematics of chemistry? but yeah the organic chem stuff is more similar to bio. I kind of understand where you're going though, I mean sometimes the lack of depth in VCE or the fact that they only skim the surface of certain topics can be annoying (although I had the same problem with electrolysis, which you probably didn't have because of your physics background - I was so confused between the difference between voltage and current and my teacher just could not explain it at all.)

Anyway sorry for that mini rant and thanks again for the update, keep being the best  8)
Hey Choco!!🥰

Oh thank heavens! I really don't like how Chem sometimes just skims over everything.😖. Electrolysis was probably one of my fav bits of Chem [you are defs right about that because it involves good old Physics🤩

[Ashmi: *Learns from CM that half of Unit 4 is Bio.
Ashmi: *sweats as she has just realised she has enraged the Bio lover*]
Don't worry Choco, mini-rants are always good to have!🤣
Bri MT🐢
Hey,

The reason you're using concentrated H2SO4 is Le Chatlier's principle! It's a reversible reaction & dilute H2SO4 would mean adding more water...

Usually people hate mechanisms (the actual step by step of how reactions work) but I learnt a bit of that in VCE and I found it helped me feel like I was actually understanding a process rather than just memorising.

Also: spectroscopy is the best topic in chem imo so u4 gets major points for that

With physics:
- you should be able to do standing wave formation in strings practically
- the formulas don't come from nowhere - you should be able to learn/be taught why the path diff eqs are as they are and same for De Broglie model of the atom. Not sure if that helps?

Congrats on your folio!

It's pretty normal to be feeling a lot of pressure at this time of year but I hope the heaviness of it eases up soon :)
Hey Bri!

Chem:
You are an absolute miracle worker! That makes SO much more sense for the concentrated bit [but now I have more questions on why it is specially H2SO4....].

I really like learning about the mechanisms of how everything works! [I have a memory of a goldfish that's why I love to learn about the why and not the what].

Physics:
Yeah I've tried doing all that [physically making a standing wave and deriving things from first principles etc] but it just doesn't seem very appealing or 'fun'? I might try doing what you suggested again and see if that works though!
The whole standing waves unit I am struggling to enjoy but I think I might need to look into a different lens to see the 'true beauty' of it🤣.

Thank you so much Bri for your kind words! I'm super relieved to have handed in my folio and thank you for reassuring me that what I'm feeling is definitely normal. I really appreciate it🥰.
Potato🥔
Yay, an Ashmi update!! So sorry about the late response, I spent the entire day spazzing about the GAT today ahaha
Thank you!! Good luck with your upcoming exams (though you don't need it  8) )WHAT A ROCKSTAR, amazing job!! I can't even imagine how terrifying or stressful it would be! Don't worry though, your products are AMAZING and I'm sure the examiners will be in awe  ;D
That's not 'pretty well,' that's extraordinary, Losing 7 marks in your first exam is outstanding and shows how much passion you've had for this subject this year. I also hated Bio before Year 10 all my life hahaha, sometimes it's our least favourite subject which becomes our favourite!
Wowowowow! I don't have anything to say, Im legit so amazed (I have very bad vocab lol). This is sooooooo amazing. Waiting for that 50 in English dude...

You are literally rocking all of your subjects which most people find difficulty with and you've shown extra resilience doing a art/tech subject in a pandemic. All the best for all of your subjects, and especially for PDT and Physics, you're gonna ace it! Have an amazing week  ;)

Yo yo yo what's up Potato?🥰

Oh bro the GAT don't even remind me about that haha. I'm sure you did fine so no stress!

Bro, I'm definitely going to need all the luck I can!! I'm not magically gifted sadly so luck is going to be a major factor here haha. Also thank you so much for your kind words on my folio! I think have my soul went into that so I'm really grateful everything turned out alright.

I'm so confused when it comes to science exams and what is perceived as 'good' or 'bad' but thanks to you and everyone else it is super reassuring to know that I'm going alright! It is super funny how we can go from hating something so much to loving in with time🤣.

I have bad vocab too Potato don't worry!!🤣. Sorry to burst that bubble but defs not getting anywhere near 50 thanks to my SAC grades + ranking haha. I am also aiming no where near that haha. But WOAH that confidence Potato is truly astonishing!

Awww thank you Potato for your kind words and thanks for stopping by to this mess. I really appreciate it🥰.
angrybiscuit🍪
Hey ash! I literally missed you so much!!

Awesome job on your folio, I know how hard you've worked all through the year and I hope the examiners can see it :) By the way it looks incredible!!!!

Also incredible (sorry my lack of vocab is really showing through) job with the interviews... your role sounds v important so good job. Awesome work with all your subjects so far, you're showing incredible results and we're super proud!! I love how in-depth you go in English ahha I could never. Hope your trial exams go well, and best of luck for the term ahead :)
Oh would you look at this cutie🥰. Hey sis how is it going??
Firstly, I MISS YOU TOO!😭

Awww thank you for your kind words biscuit🥺. I'm really glad you liked it!

If there is one thing we have in common AB, it's the fact we both have terrible vocab🤣. I don't know what has happened with me and English recently but man I don't want it to stop anytime soon [got my comparative next week haha].

Good luck to you too sis and I hope to hear some great things from you!!🥰
whys🦁
Hey ashmi! Been a bit busy so I'm late to the party, unfortunately. :(

Firstly, a massive congrats on finally finishing and submitting that mammoth of a folio. It's no easy feat, especially in the mess of a situation we're in right now, so I'm very very proud! The photos you've attached are astounding and I can see the hard work you've put into it.

I'm going to have to terminate our friendship right here. You don't like unit 4 chem!?!?!?! My goodness, it's the only bearable part of chem! If it weren't for unit 4 I don't even think I'd have picked up this subject. I cannot, for the life of me, understand unit 3, and it's so so confusing, and I still have all of unit 3 to relearn before exams. :( In all honesty, I'm so envious of your love of unit 3 because I just don't understand anything in it. :(

Congratulations with physics! I know by this point I'm just echoing what's already been said by the people above me, but you did so well on your exam and you should be mighty proud! ;D I know you'll do amazing in this subject, keep working hard! It's also great to see your love for English shine through the comparative.

Re. thoughts
I don't know what it's like to do PDT or further, but I do know how you feel. Take a deep breath ash, I know things will get better. It's hard to maintain a positive outlook on things right now, but you've been working so hard and I think you're being hard on yourself. It's totally valid to feel fearful and I hope things get better for you. I'm always here if you need someone to talk to, and ease some of that pressure. <3
Hey hey whys! 🥰

Awww whys that means so much to me.🥺 I'm really grateful for your kind words and yes that folio was like climbing mount Everest and back [I don't even know how the other folio kids do it...]

Ashmi: *Seeing whys wanting to end friendship over U4 Chem*
*Also remembers CM saying Bio was pretty much U4 Chem*
*Realising that everyone on AN likes Bio*

Ashmi: *SWEATS AND RUNS*

Hey whys, do you think we can merge together into one person and exchange our U3 + U4 knowledge?🥺👉👈🤣. Honestly we are the polar opposites when it comes to Chem!

Also, thank you for the reassurance🥺🥺🥺. I definitely needed that and I think I seriously need to take a deep breath.

Thank you whys for your help and good luck for exam prep!!

ashmi

• Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Living an illusion
« Reply #256 on: November 07, 2020, 07:40:37 pm »
+9
✰Update: 7/11✰

Hey AN!

I'm stopping by for maybeeeeee one last update till my last exam is over.

Thank you for those that have supported this hectic journal and have actually clicked on to this random thread. It means a lot to me and hopefully you guys learn a lot from my mistakes.

✰Song of this journal update✰
✰Just a little update on subjects✰

So numerically, this is how confident I feel for certain subjects:

English: 5/10
MM E1: 6/10
MM E2: 8/10
PDT: 9/10
Chem: 4/10
Physics: 10/10 (I am more prepared for this subject than all my subjects combined HAHAHAHAHA)

Qualitatively, this is how I feel:

English:
I have made many plans for Section B (Stasiland and Never Let Me Go) and I feel confident I can write a sustained piece in this bit, however, I am struggling to make full proof essay plans for Section A (Rear Window). Section C has been a nightmare because of its repetitive nature - sometimes I cannot tell if my piece is good or not? At the start of exam revision period, I was getting 7/8s for my essays, but now I've been able to stabilise myself to 8s and 9s depending on the prompts/article used. I don't know if my teacher marks too easily or harshly so these are only rough estimates. (I am still questioning how I managed to get all high scoring essays in my first timed trial exam cause I haven't been able to replicate that since...)
If anybody wants to be last min study buddies for any of the texts above please DM me! I love exchanging ideas!!

MM E1: This exam is hell. No honey just no. It is always the arithmetic errors I'm making here. Yes, I can get the method mark 99% of the time, but depending on how much I have to 'do' to get to the final answer, the worse my marks get. I am working towards improving my arithmetic and hopefully, I can reduce the marks lost here before the exam soon.

MM E2: This exam is heaven. When I have a CAS, everything in life becomes so much better. I have the worse arithmetic ever and I absolutely adore this exam because of my CAS. I probably should add I haven't even printed out my bound reference yet. I had a mini 2 page bound ref for my very last MM SAC, but it doesn't include any of Unit 4 though... Man, I am unorganised in comparison to last year. I've mainly been using the formula sheet though so I actually am not too sure what to add into it. I'll figure it out after the English Exam.

PDT: Ouchie. I'm also losing a lot of silly marks here and there but I'm working on techniques to make sure I reduce the chances of this happening in the real exam. (Mainly with colour coded highlighters and looking at the questions thoroughly through reading time). I'm finding it VERY HARD to draw a fully coloured and annotated design in just under 8 minutes though (the max time you can spend in order to be able to complete the next following questions). There are not a lot of exams available sadly, so sometimes it is hard to feel confident that you know hat you are doing. The good news is that every trial I have done, I've been to get over 90%. The bad news is that I haven't gotten one 100% yet - I've come close with 89/90, but not the target 90/90. There is still plenty of time for me to refine my mistakes though, so that is what I will keep doing and hope it pays off.

Chem: You are my 10% subject and I do not care about you anymore. There is a VERY distinct difference between my Chem trial exam scores in comparison to my other subjects and my SAC scores (although they do get moderated) are much worse than all my other subjects. I'm sorry bro but it is time for me to leave you, however, I'll come back to you though if you have juicy electrolysis questions. Sorry, Chem, I didn't want this to happen but it is pretty obvious you are the 10% in my life now.

Physics: Oh hi handsome. How can someone be so beautiful yet so understanding?
Trial exams have been going great, plenty of time leftover and I love every question I see. Definitely, one of the most fun exams to do! I have done a lot of trial exams for this subject and have definitely lost count at this point. I'm just scrambling to get my hands on as many hard questions as I physically can. I never imagined this would be one of my best subjects in Year 12 and I really hope that unlike last year's 3/4, this subject pays off big time. I have worked my butt off for you Physics and I am begging you to NOT do a 180-degree turn on me now. This subject and PDT right now are my only hope.

My literally mood right now for Physics:
Spoiler

*I can spiritually relate to the seal right now*

✰Revised Goals✰
Oh and here are the goals for what I want to get:
ATAR: 88
Course: BSci @UniMelb
Major: Probably Physics (Don't tell my Physics teacher this or I will be interrogated like there is no tomorrow)
Plans: Engineering/Physics/Teaching - can't decide yet so let's leave that for older Ashmi. I not wise enough yet as you can tell.
Other things I want to add: I pray my friends also get into the same course cause this is also their first preference.

From this journal update forward, this is going to be an ATAR FREE JOURNAL. Yes, you heard that right, ATAR free on ATAR NOTES. MINDBLOWN.

So yes to those people that want to stay away from exam threads and want something that doesn't talk about study scores/ATARs, feel free to pop on by in the future. All you will hear is if I got into the course above or not. No matter what score I get, you probably won't hear about it, unless it gets publicly announced by my school or something. (Hopefully not)

We are close to the end guys and good luck to everyone!!! 🥺💕
You have got this and I love you all very much. Go into the exam confident and I hope to hear positive news from each and every one of you. You all deserve to do well and I really hope everything goes smoothly!❤️
« Last Edit: November 07, 2020, 07:46:06 pm by ashmi »

Coolgalbornin03Lo

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +132
« Reply #257 on: November 07, 2020, 08:30:51 pm »
+5
I was so excited to see an update!!!!!!

Also your gonna do GREAT in English! Your essays are amazing and you have quotes and everything! And also I’m up for being a rear window study buddy because I understand the struggle.....Section B is so much easier 😭😭

Chemistry is also being left behind for me. I mean 3 exams that aren’t Chem and I wonder what I’ll be doing 🤔

Good luck!!!! I can’t wait to see how you go! I’m sure you’ll do amazing  :D
My avatar sums up life.
“I’m free to be the greatest one alive” ~ Sia
╔══════════════════════════════╗
2020: English | Methods | Biology | Chemistry |              Psychology | ATAR: 0
╚══════════════════════════════╝

homeworkisapotato

• MOTM: Aug 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +288
« Reply #258 on: November 07, 2020, 08:36:59 pm »
+6
Hey Hey ashmi!! You're gonna smash this, I believe in you! Your mindset is amazing, I wish I was as good in physics as you 8)
Looking forward to your ATAR-free posts and all the best! <3
2020: Biology [43]
2021: Methods, Chemistry, HHD, English, Further
Selective School Entry Tips

ashmi

• Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Living an illusion
« Reply #259 on: November 16, 2020, 09:31:35 pm »
+9
✰Update: 16/11✰

Hello beautiful people of AN!!

Your girl here is procrastinating (as usual) and has decided to do a very quick mini-update to this journal.

✰Song of this super quick mini-update✰

Coolgalbornin03Lo🤠
Hey bro🥰

Thank you so much for the last min English cram session last week! I loved that so much and I cannot believe that we actually did a prompt very similar to the one in Section A HAHAHAHAHA. I'm so glad I don't have to listen or watch Rear Window again.
Good luck for your upcoming exams and I know you are gonna do great!!
Potato🥔
Hey hey Potato🥰
You know when you see Potato there is going to be a massive rush of positivity
Welcome back to this good old messy journal 8).
Oh man, how I wished I wish I could understand bio🤣.
I'm glad to hear that the bio exam was alright and also good luck for any assessments/Yr 11 exams (if you have them) coming up! You will be 100% fine I know it!
Although this is a short update, I think it is quite important so I'll just post it in this journal today.

I have some exciting news!!

So those that have friends that do the art/tech/design might have heard of something called the VCE Season of Excellence. To cut the long story short, there are different streams, Top Screens, Top Arts, Top Acts, Top Class, Top Talks and Top Designs.

Well, since your girl here does PDT, she decided to enter for Top Designs. I didn't think much of it and considering that my whole folio is digital (goes completely against all normal folios haha), I figured I wouldn't get anywhere. I completely forgot to mention it in my journal (I actually did forget it existed for a good two weeks) and time flies when you are focusing on exams.

Last Friday about 5pm ish while I was stuck grinding some PDT exams at school, I got an email.
"Who on EARTH is emailing me now?" I huffed, especially since I was stuck on this super hard question I was trying to formulate a concise answer for.

I put my pen down and then went to read the email. Saw the sender was VCAA Season of Excellence and thought "Ok it is probably a rejection email from the application I sent in the other day". I could only send in 10 very specific pages that didn't show my full folio potential anyway so I was already expecting to get rejected from the start. (Let me tell you the 10 pages they asked for were the worst pages of my folio...) Even the girls at my school that have gotten 50s in the past didn't get shortlisted at all. I knew it was a very strict process and that my folio definitely didn't make the cut in comparison to the other amazing folios I've seen.

I checked the email out anyway and my eyes nearly popped out of my head.

It said this:

"Dear Ash,

Thank you for your Product Design and Technology (PD&T) application for Top Designs 2021. Selection for PD&T is a two-step process and I'm very pleased to advise your application has been shortlisted for the next stage"

I got shortlisted for VCE's Season of Excellence: Top Designs

I got shortlisted for Top Designs

I GOT SHORTLISTED FOR TOP DESIGNS.

My measly little digital folio got SHORTLISTED????

OMG, WHAT IS HAPPENING. VCAA WHAT ARE YOU DOING?! AND NOW YOU ARE TELLING ME I HAVE TO GO TO YOUR HEAD OFFICE TO GIVE MY FULL FOLIO IN FOR ROUND 2???

This is literally happening and I never thought a day like this would come. I'm doing something right in PDT after all.

I don't think I'll get past the 2nd stage (VCAA has a theme each year and I doubt that my Leafeon Costume will fit this year's new theme) but MAN I'M HAPPY YOU EVEN SHORTLISTED IT!! This is like a dream come true to even get shortlisted!! I am SO SO happy to even get someone to look at my folio and think it is worth something. I'm honoured for whoever is on the VCE Season of Excellence committee who looked at my work and actually considered it.

Now if you check the very first post on this journal, it says this:
On top of that, I would also really love to get into Top Designs for 2021 (or at least shortlisted). Just the idea of having your folio and product up on display in a museum sounds pretty cool and I would really love if I could get my costume up there one day!
+1 Accomplishment = Happy Ashmi
This may have been a messy year where I have thrown most of my original goals out of the window, but I'm glad one of them worked out🤣. I might post some photos of my folio in this journal if people want to see them?

Ok sorry for the sudden outburst of an update. I felt PDT was quite an important part of myself and hence why it gets its own journal update today. Also, good luck to all you guys doing exams! I know you will do great!❤️❤️
« Last Edit: November 16, 2020, 09:33:55 pm by ashmi »

lm21074

• MOTM: JAN 19
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +594
« Reply #260 on: November 16, 2020, 09:43:03 pm »
+6
CONGRATULATIONS ASHMI! 👏❤

From what you've shown us on the forum, your PDT work is ah-ma-zing! :)

Just wanted to say that I admire your passion for the subjects you enjoy and love of learning! I have no doubt that whatever ventures you take, you will go far.

Hope the rest of your exams go well! Keep at it :)

2021: VCE
2022: Science / Arts @ Monash

Coolmate

• NSW MVP - 2020
  • HSC Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • 🚀🚀Secret to getting ahead: Get Started!
  • Respect: +456
« Reply #261 on: November 16, 2020, 09:44:33 pm »
+7
Hey Ash!

Congratulations on your shortlisting, this is fantastic news!!! ;D ;D
All of your hard work is paying off! ;)

Looking forward to the next update and goodluck with the rest of your VCE exams ;D

Coolmate 8)
🤯HSC 2020:🤯
🔥Advanced Maths🔥 - 📚Advanced English📚 - ☄️Physics☄️ - ✌Biology✌ - 🙏SOR 1🙏 - 👨‍💻IPT👨‍💻

🎓University 2021 - 2025:
Bachelor of Science (Biology) / Bachelor of Information Technology (Cyber Security)

👊Need Motivation Click Here!💪         🌴Bio Marking and Feedback!

🧬Biology Guide:
🧪Module 5

blueycan

• MOTM: AUG 19
  • Forum Obsessive
  • she/her
  • Respect: +244
« Reply #262 on: November 16, 2020, 09:55:49 pm »
+6
Congratulations, ashmi! You're killing it!
You should be very proud  ;D  ;D  ;D

Good luck for the rest of your exams! Keen for your next update <3

Geoo

• MOTM: DEC 19
  • Forum Leader
  • Class of 2020
  • Respect: +685
« Reply #263 on: November 16, 2020, 10:30:24 pm »
+7
AHHHHH! That's amazing Ash!
You should be so proud of yourself!

The amount of work you've put in for PDT has really shown through your entire journal, so congratulations, you deserve it.
2020: VCE 93.2
2022: BSci/Arts (Chemistry/Pharmacology and French)@Monash

Chocolatemilkshake

• MOTM: JAN 21
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +371
« Reply #264 on: November 17, 2020, 06:00:35 am »
+6
I’m SO PROUD!! You deserve this so much and I’m so happy for you! I’m sure that you will be very well considered for the next stage, especially since I’ve seen pages of your folio and it’s incredible  8)
Congratulations again!!
2021-2025: BMedSci/M.D @ Monash

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #265 on: November 17, 2020, 06:58:54 am »
+5
Congratulations!!

Also there is seriously nothing to apologise for, thank you for sharing your accomplishment and excitement with us!

homeworkisapotato

• MOTM: Aug 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +288
« Reply #266 on: November 17, 2020, 07:38:08 am »
+4
Hey ashmi!!! Thank you so much for the encouragement!
AND CONGRATULATIONS that's amazing!!!! I'm sososo proud and so happy for you! You deserve this soo much  ;D
All the best for your exams and looking forward to the next update  ;)
2020: Biology [43]
2021: Methods, Chemistry, HHD, English, Further
Selective School Entry Tips

ArtyDreams

• MOTM: Jan 20
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • Fly against the wind. Not with it.
  • Respect: +599
« Reply #267 on: November 17, 2020, 08:24:28 am »
+5
CONGRATS ASH!!I know I said this already, but I'm so so so excited for you  :D Good luck for your interview!!

Marylen

• Forum Regular
  • 'You can live with disappointment but not regret.'
  • Respect: +46
« Reply #268 on: November 17, 2020, 10:57:31 am »
+6
OOOOOOOOOOO GO ASHMI!
I knew you could do it! (I have been silently reading your journals throughout these last entries  ;D)
Can't wait to see what happens next! Heck, maybe I could be gazing with astonishment if I see your designs on a fancy mannequin behind glass!

Love,
Mary
Marylen's VCE journal

2020:
Psych: 40
Further Maths: 39

2021:
Methods, Accounting, English & Chemistry

whys

• VIC MVP - 2020
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +916
« Reply #269 on: November 17, 2020, 11:16:08 am »
+6
YOU GO GIRL!!!!!
I’m so so so proud of you - YOU DID IT!!!! You’ve worked immensely hard and the fact that you’ve been shortlisted for top designs is amazing, keep up the good work!
psych [50] bio [50]
2021-2025: BMedSci/MD @ Monash