Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 19, 2024, 08:43:42 pm

Author Topic: Poet’s (Slightly Hypocritical) Guide to Healthy Eating and Stress-Munchies  (Read 5235 times)

Poet

• MOTM: JUN 18
  • Part of the furniture
  • Love. ~she/they
  • Respect: +2790
*Guess Indigo stays in the Community Lounge. Thanks, Nick ;)

Welcome to a Pretty Short, Sweet, Neat and Comprehensive Guide, If I do Say So Myself.
Apologies beforehand, I've had this about 70% finished and I kind of forgot about it since April... anyway, we're here now! So, I hope y'all take some of this on board. :)

We all know what’s good for us when it comes down to eating. Year 8 food pyramids in Health class can attest to that. Eat your fruit and veg. Drink 8 cups of water a day. Get the right amount of carbs. Don’t eat the entire packet of lolly snakes even though the serving suggestion picture looks like you’re meant to. We’re hit with so many opinions and rules as to what’s right for us, and sometimes we just end up ignoring them. Especially in those times of maximum stress. The thing is, when you’re stressed, eating unhealthily is one of the worst things you can do. I do it myself. Do your best to keep yourself on track – sleep well, drink enough water, give yourself study breaks, and use your self-discipline. The more you do it, the easier it will get. So, when exam times loom, you can be a happier and healthier person.

Don’t let the stress monkey give you stress munchies (or lack of appetite)! Instead, do your best to eat healthily in those times. Here’s a few suggestions for (some) cheap, quick and easy munchy-mashers:

1. Fruit.
the health rainbow
Yeah, fruit. You guys are probably rolling your eyes, but it’s true! Sometimes the best are the basics. Fruit holds essential sugars, such as fructose, and vitamins like A, B, C and D. Popping into the fruit aisle instead of the lolly aisle is a much better option for your concentration, happiness and fatigue levels. And, if you compare the prices of many fruits with that of lollies per 100 grams, you might just find that fruits like apples, mandarins, oranges, bananas, kiwi fruits, pears and even the occasional cheeky strawberry punnet are cheaper and healthier. Even though the taste of candy is nice, it doesn’t leave you feeling satisfied like fruits do.

2. Vegetables.
eat yo veg
Again, go with the basics. The closer to nature, the better for you. Why not get your head out of the chip packet and try some carrots, or celery sticks? Spinach, snow peas, tomatoes, potatoes, and even Woolworths’ Odd Bunch avocados (if you’re keen for the smashed avo tips, these are the best) are again cheaper in weight ratio to the candies. Remember that these food options are a choice you’re giving yourself – even if stuffing yourself with junk is somewhat calming, will the subsequent crash and fatigue be worth it? Would you rather stay alert and able to do your work, or inadvertently continue the cycle of stress and depression due to your eating and sleeping choices? Everything is a fragile balance – check yoself before you rek yoself.

3. Meat and Proteins.
I bet cavemen were happy dudes
Hey, to all you vegetarians out there: chickpeas and beans. They are God’s heavenly protein pods. Eat them. I bet the angels like beans. Also nuts. Angels may not enjoy milk and eggs as much, but seriously, eat more chickpeas.

And to all you carnivores/people who don’t mind meat, eat it. Red meat like veal or lamb especially. This may not be the cheapest option but the outcome is a lot better than trying to survive off of chicken-flavored 2-minute noodles for a month (no really, personal experience talking here). We need protein for the mending of muscles and the upkeep of our cells. Without protein, our brains and bodies are exhausted and it can be extremely difficult to work. Meat also holds an abundance of iron, and without that we can’t function. Iron deficiency is a serious blood illness, and unfortunately a prevalent one, especially in women. Eating meat will keep you alert and your concentration levels up.

4. Breads and Grains.
yum, bred
Before you argue, no, carbs are not all bad. In fact, quite a lot of us need them in our diet. They are our staple. Rice, bread, grains, they all contain fructose and fibre to fuel our brain, liver, kidneys, heart and muscles. This will help you feel satisfied and full after you’ve eaten, and will help with a stress-eating problem. Stay alert with enough carbs (but not too many). Next time you’re at the shops, why not grab some wholegrain bread and try it out? It’s real good with some hummus. :-)

5. The occasional treat <3

yay candy <3
Don’t fret! It’s not like you’ll never be able to see your dear friend Minty ever again, but just make sure you’re not eating it in excess, or too often. Candies are treats, and should be used as a reward, but not to the point where the almost imperceptible sugar rush is a craving you search for in times of anxiety.

Self-discipline throughout both schooling and the rest of life is key, and it can start by eating healthy. Get into the habit. But be nice to yourself. Working towards a better diet isn’t as easy as it seems – if you’re into a habit of getting a quick Maccas run instead of spending the time to look after yourself, that can still be done – but try and use the Maccas run as a reward. Soon enough, you might not even want to eat junk anymore. Love yourself the best you can – push yourself to be disciplined in everything you do.

And, no matter what, stay cool. Be yourself. Love your body. And smash those exams.

All the best, lovely AN family!
Comment below if you have any other tips - this was an extremely wide, quick overview. I'll see if I can add recipes or meal ideas below over time as well, but feel free to leave extra tips!
« Last Edit: August 20, 2018, 07:16:55 pm by secretly_a_poet »
Thoughts are only thoughts.
They are not you. You do belong to yourself,
even when your thoughts don't.

Dealing with Year 12 - Put Your Mental Health at the Forefront
A Little Guide to Healthy Eating

S200

• Part of the furniture
  • Yeah well that happened...
  • Respect: +244
So... Where do Tina Wafers and Nutella fit in here?

Nice Job!
Carpe Vinum

\(\LaTeX\) - \(e^{\pi i }\)
#ThanksRui! - #Rui\(^2\) - #Jamon10000

5233718311 :D

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
Nice work! :)

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

kauac

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +291
Such an awesome, informative post, Poet! Love seeing someone who is just as passionate about healthy eating as I am.  :)

Glad that you mentioned water too! Cannot stress enough how is super duper important staying hydrated is! There's nothing worst then getting a massive headache when trying to study because you haven't had enough water...Sometimes we can confuse a feeling of hunger for thirst...
2018: HSC

2019: Gap Year

2020-2024: B Science / M Nutrition & Dietetics @ USYD