Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 19, 2024, 03:32:19 pm

Author Topic: Mundane life updates  (Read 265387 times)  Share 

Snow Leopard

• MOTM: SEP 19
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +196
Re: Mundane life updates
« Reply #810 on: July 18, 2019, 07:54:34 pm »
+1
Rock climbing is a lot more strenuos and tiring than it looks.
I feel so sore after going rock climbing today.  :-\
« Last Edit: July 19, 2019, 08:02:44 pm by Snow Leopard »

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #811 on: July 18, 2019, 07:59:21 pm »
+9
Rock climbing is a lot more strenous and tiring than it looks.
I feel so sore after going rock climbing today.  :-\

If you feel really tired and sore chances are you were expending a lot more effort than you needed to. Often beginners will overuse their arms and neglect the importance of their legs. Next time you go, try using your legs to push you up the wall and your arms/hands for balance :)

Snow Leopard

• Forum Leader
« Reply #812 on: July 19, 2019, 08:04:31 pm »
+1
If you feel really tired and sore chances are you were expending a lot more effort than you needed to. Often beginners will overuse their arms and neglect the importance of their legs. Next time you go, try using your legs to push you up the wall and your arms/hands for balance :)
Thanks, I'll definitely try to keep that in mind for when I go rock climbing next week.
We have the oppurtunity to jump off the wall. Does anyone have any experience with that and is it as scary as it looks?

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #813 on: July 19, 2019, 08:20:41 pm »
+3
Thanks, I'll definitely try to keep that in mind for when I go rock climbing next week.
We have the oppurtunity to jump off the wall. Does anyone have any experience with that and is it as scary as it looks?

No worries :)

What do you mean by "jumping off the wall"? Like abseiling?

First time I went abseiling it was a bit intimidating and I tripped over backwards off the cliff face (this was outdoors) but I was fine :) If you're dealing with overhangs just make sure you lower yourself down enough so your head won't crash into the wall/face (you won't die or anything if it does but I tend to prefer not whacking my head into things ahaha). Remember that even if you screw up anything you have your belayer there as a safety net  :)

The scariest part of most things is starting & that's certainly true for many people when it comes to stuff involving heights.

Snow Leopard

• Forum Leader
« Reply #814 on: July 19, 2019, 08:28:21 pm »
No worries :)

What do you mean by "jumping off the wall"? Like abseiling?

First time I went abseiling it was a bit intimidating and I tripped over backwards off the cliff face (this was outdoors) but I was fine :) If you're dealing with overhangs just make sure you lower yourself down enough so your head won't crash into the wall/face (you won't die or anything if it does but I tend to prefer not whacking my head into things ahaha). Remember that even if you screw up anything you have your belayer there as a safety net  :)

The scariest part of most things is starting & that's certainly true for many people when it comes to stuff involving heights.
I'm not really sure to be quite honest but I'll try to describe it anyways. Context: Indoor Rock Climbing.
So like there's a little place to stand on top of the rock climbing thing and you can jump off that with like a rope or something.
Sorry if that made no sense.

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #815 on: July 19, 2019, 08:40:57 pm »
+1
I'm not really sure to be quite honest but I'll try to describe it anyways. Context: Indoor Rock Climbing.
So like there's a little place to stand on top of the rock climbing thing and you can jump off that with like a rope or something.
Sorry if that made no sense.

Oh I think I get it - so like freefall?  In that case I woudn't find it very scary since if you're wearing the harness you can control your speed and it's pretty hard to muck that up (not saying I couldn't - just that the chances are quite low) and even if you did you'd have a belayer or autobelay system to stop you if needed. That being said, it'll probably feel scary for most people standing on the platform.

If you're jumping where there's a wall or other obstacle near you, you should face it so you can push off it with your feet if needed (which I find fun), but I'm sure they'll go through everything relevant anyway :)

Snow Leopard

• Forum Leader
« Reply #816 on: July 19, 2019, 08:51:38 pm »
Oh I think I get it - so like freefall?  In that case I woudn't find it very scary since if you're wearing the harness you can control your speed and it's pretty hard to muck that up (not saying I couldn't - just that the chances are quite low) and even if you did you'd have a belayer or autobelay system to stop you if needed. That being said, it'll probably feel scary for most people standing on the platform.

If you're jumping where there's a wall or other obstacle near you, you should face it so you can push off it with your feet if needed (which I find fun), but I'm sure they'll go through everything relevant anyway :)
Yeah, I think it is a freefall.
Thanks again for your advice.  :D

blueycan

• MOTM: AUG 19
  • Forum Obsessive
  • she/her
  • Respect: +244
« Reply #817 on: July 19, 2019, 09:00:46 pm »
+3
I'm going to Tassie for the weekend!
Any recommendations on souvenirs to bring home?

SlowandSteady

• MOTM: JULY 2019
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +151
« Reply #818 on: July 19, 2019, 09:14:26 pm »
+4
You know you've cooked some tender chicken when you try to turn them in the pan and all of the meat falls off the bone.
QCE Class of 2023 :D

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #819 on: July 25, 2019, 05:20:41 pm »
I'm going to Tassie for the weekend!
Any recommendations on souvenirs to bring home?

Ha! I was in Tassie over the weekend, too! Where did you go? How did you find it? :)

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

Snow Leopard

• Forum Leader
« Reply #820 on: July 25, 2019, 05:25:37 pm »
+6
I done the freefall for rockclimbing.
Like Bri MT said the scariest thing was when you jump off the platform. After that it's not too bad.
I'm glad I did it cause I would've regretted if I didn't.

blueycan

• MOTM: AUG 19
  • Forum Obsessive
  • she/her
  • Respect: +244
« Reply #821 on: July 27, 2019, 12:22:27 am »
+2
Ha! I was in Tassie over the weekend, too! Where did you go? How did you find it? :)

I was in Hobart! I went to the Tasmanian Art Gallery and Museum, did a bus tour, went on the ferry, had some good food! I enjoyed it a lot, and I definitely need to go again!
I’m spewing I didn’t get to go to MONA  >:(
What were you up to ?

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #822 on: July 27, 2019, 09:09:01 am »
+2
I was in Hobart! I went to the Tasmanian Art Gallery and Museum, did a bus tour, went on the ferry, had some good food! I enjoyed it a lot, and I definitely need to go again!
I’m spewing I didn’t get to go to MONA  >:(
What were you up to ?

Similar! Started in Launceston, then Freycinet, then Hobart. :)

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
« Reply #823 on: July 27, 2019, 09:39:02 pm »
+11
Hello everyone, my name is Rui and I study statistics. And my sole purpose in life is to make a bunch of plots that I don't understand but at least they look pretty.

...at least if you allow yourself to believe that they're pretty?
« Last Edit: July 27, 2019, 09:40:40 pm by RuiAce »

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #824 on: July 29, 2019, 08:30:28 am »
+3
I went to use dog shampoo as hand soap this morning. Interesting start to the week.