Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 12:58:42 pm

Author Topic: Discovery Related Texts - Suggestions  (Read 129664 times)

Mymy409

• Trailblazer
  • "Stars can't shine without darkness."
  • Respect: 0
Re: Discovery Related Texts - Suggestions
« Reply #75 on: July 28, 2017, 08:37:17 am »
Hey! This is a common misconception - Using a 'common' related text puts you at no immediate disadvantage, just avoid picking it purely because it is common, it has to be something you can analyse and that works with your text! While markers might get sick of the same text done poorly, there is no issue if you do it well!

Thanks, Jamon!

ca052267

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +7
« Reply #76 on: July 30, 2017, 01:10:37 am »
Hey,
I know this thread is for discovery orts, but i was wondering if you could give me advice on this too...

I was just wondering if it is ok for me to use The Lorax by DR Seuss as my ORT for Mod C - People and Landscapes and possible even discovery?
 I thought about all the conservation ideologies and protecting the environment from exploitation which  would match well with the selected poems from Judith Wright (prescribed)

I was originally going to use The black book of Colour a picture book by Menina Cottin as my first ORT to talk about the impact of blindness on one's connection with the landscape. Then I thought of the Lorax ( my all-time favourite Dr Seuss book)

Thanks

Charbella :)
« Last Edit: July 30, 2017, 01:12:39 am by ca052267 »
'In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity.'
~ Albert Einstein ~

HSC 2017
Advanced English
General Maths 2
Biology
Food Technology
Textiles and Design

sirecg02

• Adventurer
« Reply #77 on: July 30, 2017, 11:48:31 am »
Hey I am hoping to use "The Glass Jar" - Poem by Gwen Harwood - I was wondering if I could have your opinion on whether it is suitable for discovery. My prescribed is "Away" by Michael Gow. :)

akunbebas

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #78 on: July 30, 2017, 01:20:33 pm »
Hi! I was wondering which related text should I choose.right now my class is doing film Stephen Daldry, Billy Elliot and prose fiction Allan Baillie, The China Coin. if anyone have some suggestions feel free to tell me.

brokenboxes

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #79 on: July 30, 2017, 11:10:29 pm »
+1
Just putting it out there, if anyone still can't decide on what to use as a discovery related I strongly recommend using "The Messenger" by Markus Zusak, it is a text that has really strong links to the rubric.

Also it is a great novel and is definitely a MUST read (... well anything Markus Zusak is a must read) :) You won't regret it

good_stuff

• Adventurer
  • Stay hydrated!!!
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #80 on: August 11, 2017, 11:25:22 pm »
Hi everyone,

Please help!!
I have trials coming up next week and I've stupidly left it till last minute- my teacher said today that using picture books can be a disadvantage because they require artistic frames and really specific analysis, which I don't feel confident doing- and I've only prepared a graphic novel; The Arrival by Shaun Tan.
My prescribed AOS is Robert Gray's poetry. Are there any quick life saving texts out there? Otherwise, any tips for analysing my graphic novel? :((

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #81 on: August 12, 2017, 12:11:42 am »
Hi everyone,

Please help!!
I have trials coming up next week and I've stupidly left it till last minute- my teacher said today that using picture books can be a disadvantage because they require artistic frames and really specific analysis, which I don't feel confident doing- and I've only prepared a graphic novel; The Arrival by Shaun Tan.
My prescribed AOS is Robert Gray's poetry. Are there any quick life saving texts out there? Otherwise, any tips for analysing my graphic novel? :((

Hey! With Trials so close, I honestly think sticking with The Arrival is your best bet! Like, if you can link it to Discovery and you've got quotes/techniques, that's all you actually need! Do you think you've checked those boxes to an extent you are happy with? :)

good_stuff

• Adventurer
  • Stay hydrated!!!
« Reply #82 on: August 12, 2017, 01:59:09 pm »
Hey! With Trials so close, I honestly think sticking with The Arrival is your best bet! Like, if you can link it to Discovery and you've got quotes/techniques, that's all you actually need! Do you think you've checked those boxes to an extent you are happy with? :)

Hi Jamon,
The Arrival doesn't have any words in it, apart from some weird drawn in words- apart from colour (the whole thing is in sepia), so I am a bit worried about the markers inherently thinking my analysis is shallow  but a I can analyse and link symbols to my prescribed, even if i have to stretch it a bit. :\\

bowiemily

• HSC Lecturer
  • Forum Obsessive
  • So it goes.
  • Respect: +133
« Reply #83 on: August 12, 2017, 03:03:47 pm »
+3
Hi Jamon,
The Arrival doesn't have any words in it, apart from some weird drawn in words- apart from colour (the whole thing is in sepia), so I am a bit worried about the markers inherently thinking my analysis is shallow  but a I can analyse and link symbols to my prescribed, even if i have to stretch it a bit. :\\

Though I think the Arrival is still a great text, and I too would suggest sticking with what you've prepared this late in the game, perhaps a short story would be worthwhile. Maybe Lamb to the Slaughter by Roald Dahl, or any of Tim Winton's short stories.
I can vouch for picture books working well though. This is because many people are encouraged to use paintings for Extension One English in order to heighten the sophistication of their response. Surely this wouldn't be suggested if analysis of a visual was thought to be superficial? Also, even if you are worried about stretching your links, as long as they have grounding in the discovery syllabus, they should be fine. Just make sure you explicitly state the rubric dot point you are trying to prove
Currently offering tutoring, send me a PM or email me at [email protected]
AdvEng: 100 (1st in State) - ExtEng: 49/50 - EarthEnviroScience: 95/100 (7th in State) - Modern History: 95/100 - Legal Studies: 96/100 Studies of Religion: 47/50

ATAR: 99.85
Studying Arts/Law at Sydney University

good_stuff

• Adventurer
  • Stay hydrated!!!
« Reply #84 on: August 14, 2017, 06:20:31 pm »
Though I think the Arrival is still a great text, and I too would suggest sticking with what you've prepared this late in the game, perhaps a short story would be worthwhile. Maybe Lamb to the Slaughter by Roald Dahl, or any of Tim Winton's short stories.
I can vouch for picture books working well though. This is because many people are encouraged to use paintings for Extension One English in order to heighten the sophistication of their response. Surely this wouldn't be suggested if analysis of a visual was thought to be superficial? Also, even if you are worried about stretching your links, as long as they have grounding in the discovery syllabus, they should be fine. Just make sure you explicitly state the rubric dot point you are trying to prove

Hey Emily!
haha I don't know if you remember but I very awkwardly said thank you after your HSC lecture last holidays. I did my test today, and ended up just sticking to my previous text. Hopefully everything will end up fine :) Just got paper II now!!

bowiemily

• HSC Lecturer
  • Forum Obsessive
  • So it goes.
  • Respect: +133
« Reply #85 on: August 16, 2017, 11:16:25 am »
+2
Hey Emily!
haha I don't know if you remember but I very awkwardly said thank you after your HSC lecture last holidays. I did my test today, and ended up just sticking to my previous text. Hopefully everything will end up fine :) Just got paper II now!!

Ah yes I remember! Nice to see you on the forums :) I think you made the best decision there. Best of luck for Paper 2!
Currently offering tutoring, send me a PM or email me at [email protected]
AdvEng: 100 (1st in State) - ExtEng: 49/50 - EarthEnviroScience: 95/100 (7th in State) - Modern History: 95/100 - Legal Studies: 96/100 Studies of Religion: 47/50

ATAR: 99.85
Studying Arts/Law at Sydney University

Caleb Campion

• Forum Regular
« Reply #86 on: October 14, 2017, 03:37:48 pm »
Hey! I was wondering if anyone knows of any discovery related texts (novels) that are uncommonly used by schools and most people, but would still be able to find at a library etc? I really wanted to use 'An Open Swimmer' by Tim Winton but it wasn't at my library! Does anyone know of any good Tim Winton novels that have deep discovery themes? Any answers asap would be appreciated :)

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #87 on: October 14, 2017, 03:43:23 pm »
Hey! I was wondering if anyone knows of any discovery related texts (novels) that are uncommonly used by schools and most people, but would still be able to find at a library etc? I really wanted to use 'An Open Swimmer' by Tim Winton but it wasn't at my library! Does anyone know of any good Tim Winton novels that have deep discovery themes? Any answers asap would be appreciated :)

Cloudstreet does (I'm reading it at the moment but I'm not too far in yet) but I've noticed this in Cloudstreet. If you're willing to move away from Tim Winton and don't mind a challenge, Charles Dickens' Great Expectations has soooo many levels of discovery!
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

Potatohater

• Forum Leader
  • All the world's a stage & this is my improvisation
  • Respect: +302
« Reply #88 on: October 14, 2017, 04:16:52 pm »
Another good one to add for the plays section is Ruby Moon by Matt Cameron - it provides an interesting contrast to my prescribed and most likley others too since it explores the concequences of excessive rediscovery and resistance to discovery. There are other discoveries in there too but I think the above points are the most interesting to explore.   ;D
HSC 2017: Advanced English [85] General Maths [92] Biology [96] Geography [92] Drama [86]

2018: Bachelor of Arts and Advanced Studies at University of Sydney

-- need a tutor for any of the subjects listed above?? I reckon I'm the girl! Just message me on ATAR notes or here--

Caleb Campion

• Forum Regular
« Reply #89 on: October 14, 2017, 04:33:39 pm »
I've managed to get a hold of an eBook of 'The Messenger' by Markus Zusak. Is it good to do? Or are the ideas of discovery too simple? Also, how 'teen-fiction' is it? My teacher didn't want us doing 'teen fiction like the hunger games'. I'm looking for a text with deep and advanced analysis that works well, but I'm not a big reader, so less than 400 pages would be good?