Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 16, 2024, 02:22:24 pm

Author Topic: Link between rights and principles of justice  (Read 1615 times)  Share 

lleeea

• Trendsetter
  • dont judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree
  • Respect: +6
Link between rights and principles of justice
« on: February 15, 2019, 10:34:24 pm »
hi everyone,

Could someone pls explain the link would between accuseds right and each of the principles of justice. i.e. the right to be tried without unreasonable delay and justice (i.e. fairness, equality, etc). Also I am not sure about link between victim and principles of justice (i.e. link between giving evidence as vulnerable witness and justice). I'd help a lot.
 Thanks.

Jigsaw

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +97
Re: Link between rights and principles of justice
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2019, 06:50:22 pm »
+3
Hey! So by 'link', I assume you are asking how the principles of justice are achieved in relation to the rights of the accused and the rights of victims. In terms of answering this question, remember that (in a general sense) :

Fairness is the the impartial and just treatment/behaviour without favouritism or discrimination; free from bias or injustice.

Equality is the notion that people should be treated the same in the eyes of the law and have the same opportunity to present their case without advantage or disadvantage.

Access is the ability for an individual to understand and to be informed of their legal rights and for individuals to have the ability to pursue their legal claims in court.

So, using these definitions, attempt to explain how the rights of an accused/victim meet the principles. For example, if answering how access is met in relation to the right of a victim being informed about the likely release date of the accused, you could write:

Access refers to the notion that an individual should be able to understand their legal rights through being regularly informed about the justice system, and pursue relevant claims in court. Hence, by allowing victims of acts of violence to join the 'Victim's Register', the Victim will receive information, such as the likely release date of the accused, thus ensuring that not only do they remain informed about this information, but also, that the criminal justice system remains accessible to such victims. This ensures access is therefore achieved.

I'd recommend following this structure when answering these types of questions. Now that you seen one worked example, try the others and see how you go. If you have any further issues, feel free to leave a reply.
2017: | Business Management [47] |
2018: | Legal Studies [50] (Premier's) | English [48] | Accounting [41] | Japanese SL [38] | Maths Methods [32] |

ATAR: 99.40 2019 Onwards: Laws (Hons)/Arts @ Monash