VCE Stuff > VTAC Discussion

Regarding prerequisites...

(1/1)

jimvni:
So, I'm a Year 12 student, and I've gained a lot of interest in getting into BioMed next year. The problem is I've been looking through the prerequisites for most universities and it says I need at least a 25 study score in Chemistry. I am doing Biology and Methods, but I haven't picked up Chemistry at all and it's way too late for me to pick up the subject. Do I have no chance of getting into BioMed? Or can I get into BioMed by doing a Bachelor of Science? (Idk if that's how transferring works but I satisfy the prerequisites for Science so  :-\)

AngelWings:
Unfortunately, unis are pretty strict on having done their prereqs. You've got three major options here:
1. Check up bridging courses - If you're adamant about only doing Biomed at X uni and refuse to do other courses, then try asking about bridging courses for biomed and/or chemistry. Usually unis have some form of bridging course. After the bridging course, you can apply to get into Biomed. Sadly, I know little about these, so definitely do your research and contact the unis about these.
2. Internal transfer - If you're okay with studying Science or another related course for a while, try getting into one of these courses at the uni you wanted to study Biomed at and keep your uni grades up. After each semester, you can try transferring into Biomed. If you're attempting to transfer after your first semester at uni, then your ATAR may also come into play with your uni grades. If it's been a year or more at uni, then only your unis grades will count.
3. External transfer - Try to get as close as possible e.g. try to get into Biomed at a uni that doesn't have the Chem prereq (if not, try to study something else as close as possible to Biomed) and study that degree for at least a semester and try to transfer into Biomed at the institute you actually want to study Biomed at. Again, if you're attempting to transfer after your first semester at uni, then your ATAR may also come into play with your uni grades. If it's been a year or more at uni, then only your unis grades will count. Ask about credit transfers when you begin your first degree to ensure that the transfer will go as smoothly as possible.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version