Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 19, 2024, 07:42:16 pm

Author Topic: HSC Legal Studies Question Thread  (Read 566574 times)  Share 

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
Re: Legal Studies Question Thread
« Reply #1245 on: August 17, 2017, 01:33:18 pm »
+2
HI! what are some possible essay questions we can expect for the syllabus dot point 'nature of crime'

Hey! It is very unlikely they would have an essay question target that part of the syllabus by itself - There isn't enough depth to it!! So don't stress about knowing it beyond the knowledge you need to answer MC questions ;D

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #1246 on: August 17, 2017, 02:23:46 pm »
+2
HI! what are some possible essay questions we can expect for the syllabus dot point 'nature of crime'

There's one question I thought of after a student challenged me to make it into an essay question, and I think something like,

"To what extent is the nature of crime considered in sentencing and punishment procedures."

But, drawing at straws ;)
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

paigek3

• Forum Obsessive
  • My name is Ella
  • Respect: +126
« Reply #1247 on: August 17, 2017, 02:54:28 pm »
+1

Questions could be to do with situational and social crime prevention though, which is in that part of the syllabus, such as emphasising using those means to reduce crime rather than others
HSC subjects
Advanced English | Extension 1 English | Extension 2 English | Legal Studies | PDHPE | Society and Culture | General 2 Maths

Need HSC tutoring, mentoring or essay marking? I'm offering all of that online! Check out all the offers, pricing and details here https://bandsevenhsctutoring.wordpress.com/blog/ and feel free to get in contact with me if you want any more info :)

hansolo9

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #1248 on: August 18, 2017, 06:48:37 pm »
Hi :)

I don't get why the answer is High Court.
I thought you could only appeal to there if something was unjust like in Dietrich v Queen

rodero

• Forum Obsessive
  • Professional quote and statistic generator
  • Respect: +81
« Reply #1249 on: August 18, 2017, 08:42:24 pm »
+3
Hi :)

I don't get why the answer is High Court.
I thought you could only appeal to there if something was unjust like in Dietrich v Queen

Hey,
So the answer here is definitely the High Court of Australia. I've attached the court hierarchy below - feel free to have a look at it while you read the rest of my answer. The case we've been given starts off at the District Court. From there, an appeal will continue to climb the court hierarchy before reaching the top of the ladder. No matter where a criminal case begins, the highest possible court to hear the matter will be the High Court of Australia. However, the case will need be given special permission first, before an appeal can go through.

Keep in mind that the question is asking for the highest court, so although the Supreme Court and the Court of Criminal Appeal are able to hear the appeal, they are not the highest point of call. Also, a case involving drugs will not necessarily be heard in the Drug Court. That court won't deal with trafficking, as it's primary concern is rehabilitation for drug users.

So for a quick overview, the highest court that may hear an appeal will be the High Court of Australia (it's in the name I guess). Cases won't go straight to the top of the chain, but they'll go through the next highest court, then the next, until they reach the HCA.
HSC 2017:
English (Advanced): 91    Legal Studies: 92    Modern History: 91    Studies of Religion 2: 90    Business Studies: 92

ATAR: 96.75

Need tutoring? Click here!

kiiaaa

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #1250 on: August 18, 2017, 11:51:10 pm »
Hey guys i was wondering if you could please help me in these two questions

1. how does the European union promote human rights?
2. how do NGO's promote and enforce human rights? ( can they really enforce tho? and do you know any really good NGO's that do both enforce and protect)

Thank youuu very much  :P :P :P :P :P

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Im Moment studiere ich kein Deutsch :-(
  • Respect: +864
« Reply #1251 on: August 19, 2017, 09:55:52 am »
Hey guys i was wondering if you could please help me in these two questions

1. how does the European union promote human rights?
2. how do NGO's promote and enforce human rights? ( can they really enforce tho? and do you know any really good NGO's that do both enforce and protect)

Thank youuu very much  :P :P :P :P :P

1. the european union protects human rights through the european court of human rights, where every decision made must be incorporated into the legal systems of member states. (that was worded very badly i apologise it's a bit early for the weekend)
2. NGOs promote human rights as they bring attention to human rights abuses, create programs, etc. you're right - an NGO can't enforce human rights, they can only promote. :-)
HSC 2017: English (Standard) // Mathematics // Modern History // Legal Studies // Business Studies
2018-2022: B International Studies/B Media (PR & Advertising) @ UNSW

abachmid

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #1252 on: August 19, 2017, 10:35:53 am »
hey, i was wondering if you could provide me with some potential compliance and non compliance essay topics.
thankssss

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #1253 on: August 19, 2017, 01:15:01 pm »
hey, i was wondering if you could provide me with some potential compliance and non compliance essay topics.
thankssss

Hey! I'd wager such a question would be fairly broad, perhaps just "How does the legal system encourage compliance?" If they were to hone in on a specific area, it would likely be the criminal investigation process (focusing on police powers) or sentencing. If they don't hone in, those would be where your focus would lie ;D

Bubbly_bluey

• Trendsetter
  • Just Floating By :)
  • Respect: +10
« Reply #1254 on: August 19, 2017, 05:32:20 pm »
Hello! Heres a question that stumped me:
Which body organisation has the jurisdiction to prosecute crimes against humanity?
I put down the ICC but the answer says ICJ and idk why. If anyone can explain that would be awesome! :)
Thank you

soha.rizvi1

• Adventurer
« Reply #1255 on: August 19, 2017, 09:32:00 pm »
Hey Guys,

I know a lot of people don't do the Indigienous people's Option topic, but for those of you who are familar with it, can someone please explain how to state soveringty restricts IP's access to international mechanisms?

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #1256 on: August 20, 2017, 12:14:21 am »
+2
Which body organisation has the jurisdiction to prosecute crimes against humanity?
I put down the ICC but the answer says ICJ and idk why. If anyone can explain that would be awesome! :)
Thank you

i have no idea, i would've put the icc because we're talking about a crime :-/

Hey Guys,

I know a lot of people don't do the Indigienous people's Option topic, but for those of you who are familar with it, can someone please explain how to state soveringty restricts IP's access to international mechanisms?

Thanks, Soha

hi fellow indigenous peoples person!!! state sovereignty restricts IPs access to international mechanisms because in order for international mechanisms to be effective, they must be enacted into domestic law. for an essay on state sovereignty, refer to the various international mechanisms (there's only 2) and incorporate case studies on various IPs from different countries. hope this helps :-)
HSC 2017: English (Standard) // Mathematics // Modern History // Legal Studies // Business Studies

soha.rizvi1

• Adventurer
« Reply #1257 on: August 20, 2017, 12:33:19 am »
Hey,

Thanks for the Reply but now I have a question specific to courts and locus Standi of Indigenous peoples. How does state soveringty restrict  IP's access to international courts ( I know it's something about not having locus standi but don't quite understand it)

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #1258 on: August 20, 2017, 12:47:00 am »
+3
Hey,

Thanks for the Reply but now I have a question specific to courts and locus Standi of Indigenous peoples. How does state soveringty restrict  IP's access to international courts ( I know it's something about not having locus standi but don't quite understand it)

i have no idea what locus standi is, sorry, but as for international courts, we mostly refer to the international court of justice to resolve disputes with IPs. only recognised nations (that is, countries which have accepted the jurisdiction of the icj) may directly bring a dispute before the court . this means indigenous peoples can’t bring their own case as they are not recognised as their own nation. the Court's powers of enforcement are limited as it must rely on the willingness of the party nations to comply, or depend on pressure from the world or the UN.

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #1259 on: August 20, 2017, 01:36:14 am »
Thank you

Definitely agree with fantasticbeasts, reckon that's a typo ;D