Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 05:39:21 am

Author Topic: English HSC Paper 2 - Questions from various trial papers  (Read 4085 times)

lace02

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
English HSC Paper 2 - Questions from various trial papers
« on: September 14, 2019, 12:33:28 pm »
+4
Hi all,

I just thought it would be beneficial to all HSC English Advanced students if we all shared our trial questions from Paper 2 just so we have a wide range of questions to practice from.

So I'll start. These were the questions from my school

Section 1 (Mod. A): 'It is only when texts are in constant dialogue with each other that we can truly appreciate them for not just being a product of their time.' To what extent is this statement true in light of your exploration of Textual Conversations?

Section 2 (Mod. B): 'Never did any novelist make more use of an impeccable sense of human values. It is against the disc of an unerring heart, an unfailing good taste, an almost stern morality that she shows up those deviations from kindness, truth, and sincerity which are the most delightful things in literature." To what extent do you agree or disagree with these claims that Austen exposed shortcomings in human behaviour? in your response make detailed reference to your prescribed text.

Section 3 (Mod. C): 'Good writing doesn't proceed from the individual writer, but from their interactions with the worlds of others, and from the vicissitudes* of lived experiences.' To what extent do you agree or disagree with this statement? In your response, refer to at least ONE text from Module C, and ONE OTHER TEXT from Module A, B, or the Common Module. This response must take the form of a PERSUASIVE piece of writing.

*A change in circumstances or fortune, typically one that is unwelcome and unpleasant.

Hope this helps everyone.

Thanks!

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
  • Musical Theatre Tragic And Ultimate Pun Generator
  • Respect: +1026
Re: English HSC Paper 2 - Questions from various trial papers
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2019, 01:28:18 pm »
Hi all,

I just thought it would be beneficial to all HSC English Advanced students if we all shared our trial questions from Paper 2 just so we have a wide range of questions to practice from.

So I'll start. These were the questions from my school

Section 1 (Mod. A): 'It is only when texts are in constant dialogue with each other that we can truly appreciate them for not just being a product of their time.' To what extent is this statement true in light of your exploration of Textual Conversations?

Section 2 (Mod. B): 'Never did any novelist make more use of an impeccable sense of human values. It is against the disc of an unerring heart, an unfailing good taste, an almost stern morality that she shows up those deviations from kindness, truth, and sincerity which are the most delightful things in literature." To what extent do you agree or disagree with these claims that Austen exposed shortcomings in human behaviour? in your response make detailed reference to your prescribed text.

Section 3 (Mod. C): 'Good writing doesn't proceed from the individual writer, but from their interactions with the worlds of others, and from the vicissitudes* of lived experiences.' To what extent do you agree or disagree with this statement? In your response, refer to at least ONE text from Module C, and ONE OTHER TEXT from Module A, B, or the Common Module. This response must take the form of a PERSUASIVE piece of writing.

*A change in circumstances or fortune, typically one that is unwelcome and unpleasant.

Hope this helps everyone.

Thanks!

Hey, lace02!

What an amazing resource! I think it's fantastic that you're sharing your Trials questions  :D This will benefit many students! Keen to see more fantastic contributions from you on the forum  8)

Angelina  ;D
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-
Bachelor of Music (Music Education) at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music

xbabynovax

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2019, 09:25:16 pm »
For Mod B, emma
In planning Emma Jane Austen wrote: ‘I am going to take a heroine whom no one but myself will much like.”

In the novel Mr Knightly describes Emma as: “the sweetest and best of all creatures, faultless in spite of all her faults.”

How do these conflicting views of Emma reflect Jane Austen’s interest in human nature?

For Mod A -
'Examine how the textual conversations in King Richard III and Looking for Richard reveal how values transcend time and place'

lace02

• Adventurer
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2019, 06:28:12 pm »
For Mod B, emma
In planning Emma Jane Austen wrote: ‘I am going to take a heroine whom no one but myself will much like.”

In the novel Mr Knightly describes Emma as: “the sweetest and best of all creatures, faultless in spite of all her faults.”

How do these conflicting views of Emma reflect Jane Austen’s interest in human nature?

For Mod A -
'Examine how the textual conversations in King Richard III and Looking for Richard reveal how values transcend time and place'

Thanks for sharing! Do you remember your Mod. C question?!

Elessa

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2019, 10:04:58 pm »
+1
MOD A: When exploring the conversation between texts, it is the disparities which are far more revealing and stimulating than the aspects they have in common.
To what extent do you agree with this statement from the pair of prescribed texts that you have studied in Module A?
MOD B: In your view, how does Ishiguro's portrayal of the complex nature of self awareness contribute to the enduring value of An Artist of the Floating World?
MOD C:
I hold the pen; i tap the keys. I control the glimses you get, or of you see anything at all. I like to frame the world from above, underneath or even through key-holes. We need fresh angles on the ordinary to combat modern numbness. This is my job; a writer's craft is to provoke, ensuring the world keeps feeling.
MAREE S. JONES Craft Against Malaise!
(a) Use this quotation as a stimulus for an imaginative, discursive or persuasive piece of writing that uses a fresh perspective on the ordinary to provoke engagement.
In your response, you must include at least ONE literary device or stylistic feature that you have explored during your study of a prescribed text in Module C.
(12 marks)
(b) Reflect on the effectiveness of your crafting decisions in part (a), including your use of the techniques you have studied in Module C.
(8 marks)

phungies

• Trailblazer
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2019, 03:12:46 pm »
Module A:
In what ways have textual conversations influenced your personal view about values that are able to withstand the test of time and place?
In your response make detailed reference to both texts you have studied.

Module B:
In planning Emma, Jane Austen wrote: "I am going to take a heroine whom no one but myself will much like"
In the novel, Mr George Knightley describes Emma as: "This sweetest and best of all creatures, faultless in spite of all her faluts"

How do these conflicting views of Emma reflect Jane Austen's interest in human nature?
In your response refer to the quotation and make close reference to the novel as a whole.

Module C:
a) Select an incident where a character, persona or speaker from ONE of your prescribed text is about to make a critical decision. Imagine this person has come to you to ask advice about what he or she should do. Write an imaginary conversation between the two of you where you try to persuade this person to take a particulary course of action.

b) Discuss the features of writing you have used to persuade this person to act on what you are convinced is the right decision for him or her to make in this particular situation.

dani01

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2019, 04:35:27 pm »
That's such a funny mod c question! I think I would have stressed out if I saw that question in the exam though

Module A:
In what ways have textual conversations influenced your personal view about values that are able to withstand the test of time and place?
In your response make detailed reference to both texts you have studied.

Module B:
In planning Emma, Jane Austen wrote: "I am going to take a heroine whom no one but myself will much like"
In the novel, Mr George Knightley describes Emma as: "This sweetest and best of all creatures, faultless in spite of all her faluts"

How do these conflicting views of Emma reflect Jane Austen's interest in human nature?
In your response refer to the quotation and make close reference to the novel as a whole.

Module C:
a) Select an incident where a character, persona or speaker from ONE of your prescribed text is about to make a critical decision. Imagine this person has come to you to ask advice about what he or she should do. Write an imaginary conversation between the two of you where you try to persuade this person to take a particulary course of action.

b) Discuss the features of writing you have used to persuade this person to act on what you are convinced is the right decision for him or her to make in this particular situation.

dani01

• Forum Regular
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2019, 04:50:48 pm »
+1
Module A
When exploring the conversation between texts, it is the disparities which are far more revealing than the aspects they have in common.
To what extent do you agree with this statement from the pair of prescribed texts that you have studied in Module A?

Module B
"A classic (text) will never finish what it has to say" - Italio Calvino
How do the ideas in Shakespeare's King Henry I, Part 1 continue to speak to 21st century readers? In your response make close reference to the distinctive features of this history-play, exploring how they engaged you in the text.

Module C
MOD C:
I hold the pen; i tap the keys. I control the glimses you get, or of you see anything at all. I like to frame the world from above, underneath or even through key-holes. We need fresh angles on the ordinary to combat modern numbness. This is my job; a writer's craft is to provoke, ensuring the world keeps feeling.
MAREE S. JONES Craft Against Malaise!
a)Use this quotation as a stimulus for an imaginative, discursive or persuasive piece of writing that uses a fresh perspective on the ordinary to provoke engagement.
In your response, you must include at least ONE literary device or stylistic feature that you have explored during your study of a prescribed text in Module C. (12 marks)
b) Reflect on the effectiveness of your crafting decisions in part (a), including your use of the techniques you have studied in Module C.(8 marks)

dani01

• Forum Regular
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2019, 04:54:29 pm »
+1
What have your teachers said about module c as in prediction wise about what they might make us do? I more of a persuasive/discursive kinda person and I'm really worried that they might give us a imaginative. (I do have one kind prepared anyway).
My teacher reckons that they will give us a choice but just wanted to know what any other schools have been thinking
Thanks!

phungies

• Trailblazer
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2019, 07:22:47 pm »
That's such a funny mod c question! I think I would have stressed out if I saw that question in the exam though

Haha, I totally freaked out in my trials and answered the question completely wrong  :P. Instead of writing from my own perspective, I wrote from a character's perspective. But hey, least I passed!

phungies

• Trailblazer
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2019, 07:26:02 pm »
What have your teachers said about module c as in prediction wise about what they might make us do? I more of a persuasive/discursive kinda person and I'm really worried that they might give us a imaginative. (I do have one kind prepared anyway).
My teacher reckons that they will give us a choice but just wanted to know what any other schools have been thinking
Thanks!

My teacher said the same thing, that the markers will most likely give us a choice. But then again, she also said that it is best to be prepared as they can potentially ask you anything. I went to an English lecture today and learned that by making your creative response a speech, it can work both as a discursive and an imaginative! I hope that advice makes sense (:

dani01

• Forum Regular
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2019, 09:52:51 pm »
My teacher said the same thing, that the markers will most likely give us a choice. But then again, she also said that it is best to be prepared as they can potentially ask you anything. I went to an English lecture today and learned that by making your creative response a speech, it can work both as a discursive and an imaginative! I hope that advice makes sense (:

yeas totally makes sense! I think that's what I'm going to do If it comes down to it. A speech or even a blog post. I am really screwed if they have a question that is like "from the perspective of a character" yadiyadiyada. ahhh so stressful  :-\ :-\