Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 06:42:10 pm

Author Topic: VCE Biology Exam - 01/11/19 - Discussion/Questions/Solutions  (Read 80760 times)

tdowler100

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Re: VCE Biology Exam - 01/11/19 - Discussion/Questions/Solutions
« Reply #165 on: November 03, 2019, 05:31:36 pm »
Overloading of DNA - overloading of DNA slows down the migration of DNA fragments. Contamination - presence of impurities, such as salts or proteins can affect the movement of the DNA - about the dna migration question

Erutepa

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Forum Leader
  • evenin'
  • Respect: +775
« Reply #166 on: November 03, 2019, 06:09:22 pm »
+2
Overloading of DNA - overloading of DNA slows down the migration of DNA fragments. Contamination - presence of impurities, such as salts or proteins can affect the movement of the DNA - about the dna migration question
I don't disagree with this, however simply stating "contamination with other dna" I don't think will earn you the mark unfortunately. DNA overloading may very well affect the movmenr of DNA, but contamination with other dna and DNA overloading aren't the same thing, and for that reason I don't think it's suffice to use dna contamination as a factor affecting movement of DNA.
Qualifications
 > Have counted to 227
 > Can draw really good spiders
 > 2 Poet points
 > 6.5 insanipi points
 > 1 Bri MT point

LiamBio

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #167 on: November 03, 2019, 06:33:27 pm »
Can someone predict my study score, If I'm averaging 91% in SACs, and I'm rank 4 in my cohort (highly competitive, select entry school w 100+ bio students) and I get 90-95% on the exam?

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • They/them/theirs
  • Respect: +3102
« Reply #168 on: November 03, 2019, 06:44:59 pm »
+2
Can someone predict my study score, If I'm averaging 91% in SACs, and I'm rank 4 in my cohort (highly competitive, select entry school w 100+ bio students) and I get 90-95% on the exam?
Likely 45+ (assuming your exam prediction is accurate). Can't predict it any more accurately than that given the limited data vcaa provides, anything else would just be guessing.
2019: B. Environment and Sustainability/B. Science @ ANU
2020: Just Vibing
2021: B. Paramedicine/B. Nursing @ ACU Canberra

shiningstar

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #169 on: November 03, 2019, 06:53:11 pm »
Hey i have some questions.. Would you be able to tell me if these could be right?

1a) As a difference, i wrote that tRNA has uracil as a nucleotide base. I didnt write it as a comparison stating that tRNA has a uracil base instead of thymine. Is that okay?
3a) For the entry of bacteria.. i wrote that it could enter orally by contaminating food, or through inhalation since its airborne. Would this be right?
6ai) For examining the blood sample, i wrote that they could check the persons chromosomes.. since it is a chromosomal abnormality.
7b) For the extinction, i wrote that lack of diversity can lead to extinction when exposed to new selection pressures.
8c) For the gel, i wrote factors could be charge, size (shorter fragments will move further) but also weight (stating that heavier bands will stay closer to the well while lighter will be lighter).
9a) As a social factor, i wrote having pets. Hence, this could increase physical interactions and allow transfer.

I would really appreciate it if you could let me know about these answers!

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • They/them/theirs
« Reply #170 on: November 03, 2019, 07:02:04 pm »
+2
Hey i have some questions.. Would you be able to tell me if these could be right?

1a) As a difference, i wrote that tRNA has uracil as a nucleotide base. I didnt write it as a comparison stating that tRNA has a uracil base instead of thymine. Is that okay?
3a) For the entry of bacteria.. i wrote that it could enter orally by contaminating food, or through inhalation since its airborne. Would this be right?
6ai) For examining the blood sample, i wrote that they could check the persons chromosomes.. since it is a chromosomal abnormality.
7b) For the extinction, i wrote that lack of diversity can lead to extinction when exposed to new selection pressures.
8c) For the gel, i wrote factors could be charge, size (shorter fragments will move further) but also weight (stating that heavier bands will stay closer to the well while lighter will be lighter).
9a) As a social factor, i wrote having pets. Hence, this could increase physical interactions and allow transfer.

I would really appreciate it if you could let me know about these answers!
1a) This was a table, if you wrote about uracil in the box for tRNA difference 1 then you would have had to write about thymine in the box for dna difference 1.
3a) Maybe. You'd get at least one mark. It'll depend on whether vcaa considers them the same route or not (they may consider the routes to be through mucous membranes and through skin, or they may accept any two scenarios).
6ai) Did you mean 6aii? If so, then this will probably be accepted.
7b) This is probably fine.
8c) First two are correct, you probably wouldn't get the mark for weight, it's essentially the same thing as size.
9a) This should be fine.

shiningstar

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #171 on: November 03, 2019, 07:38:55 pm »
Yup, for 1a, i did write thymine on the DNA difference. And oops yes, sorry i meant 6aii.

Thank you soo much! I was really unsure about my answers.. but thanks for clarifying!

Sconey

• Trendsetter
  • 'Any fool can know. The point is to understand.'
  • Respect: +52
« Reply #172 on: November 03, 2019, 08:11:28 pm »
Could someone do a study score estimate: I'm in a strong cohort of about 60.
GA1: Rank 25
GA2: Rank 15
GA3: 81/85/90%

Thanks  :D

dev_xy

• Adventurer
« Reply #173 on: November 03, 2019, 08:43:58 pm »

I think 26-31 study score
« Last Edit: November 03, 2019, 08:47:00 pm by dev_xy »

Sconey

• Trendsetter
  • 'Any fool can know. The point is to understand.'
  • Respect: +52
« Reply #174 on: November 03, 2019, 08:48:57 pm »
+1
I think 26-31 study score

Dunno about that mate

dev_xy

• Adventurer
« Reply #175 on: November 03, 2019, 08:49:53 pm »
Hi just a quick quick question
for the genetic screen one should these be okay.

Ethical issue: the baby's right not to be tested
Social issue: The screen becoming 'free' in the future would mean use of taxpayers money, it may affect the economy

Dunno about that mate

I know someone with the similar ranking and B+ on the exam who got 28 so

28 not scaled, scaled was 29

Mod edit: merged triple post. In future please modify your existing post if you have something further to add rather than creating posts twice (or more) in a row
« Last Edit: November 04, 2019, 12:06:59 am by Bri MT »

BitcoinEagle

• Trailblazer
  • You should've bought Bitcoin in 2008.
  • Respect: +3
« Reply #176 on: November 03, 2019, 08:55:04 pm »
Hello Eurepta and Phoenix!
For Q31, I did a bit of research on the capsule of Influenza and found this:
Influenza is an RNA virus with a roughly spherical lipid envelope, which is colored yellow on our schematic model. The outside of the virus capsule is covered with 3 specific proteins: hemagglutinin (purple), neuraminidase (pink) and the M2 channel (blue).

For this reason, could Q31 be C given this information? A mutation in the capsule could change the neuraminidase protein.
2019: Methods {47} Bio {47}
2020: Spesh {44}, Physics {46}, Chemistry {46}, English {50}, Economics {47}

ATAR: 99.95

Proudest achievement: Doing Unit 1 Lang alone in sem 1 2019, Unit 2 Lit alone in sem 2 and unit 3/4 English alone in 2020 and somehow pulling out a rank 1. (It's a long story)

Erutepa

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Forum Leader
  • evenin'
  • Respect: +775
« Reply #177 on: November 03, 2019, 09:08:11 pm »
+2
Hello Eurepta and Phoenix!
For Q31, I did a bit of research on the capsule of Influenza and found this:
Influenza is an RNA virus with a roughly spherical lipid envelope, which is colored yellow on our schematic model. The outside of the virus capsule is covered with 3 specific proteins: hemagglutinin (purple), neuraminidase (pink) and the M2 channel (blue).

For this reason, could Q31 be C given this information? A mutation in the capsule could change the neuraminidase protein.
This question is one of those ones where the precise wording can trip you up.
The question asks where a mutation must have occured for relenza to be made innefective.
The previous question refers to the target of relenza as "an enzyme neccasary for ongoing virus replication". Hence, for relenza to be made inefective, this "enzyme neccasary for ongoing replication" must have a mutation that changes its shape and charge.
A mutation in the capsule (assuming nuraminidase is part of the capsule) could have caused relenza to become innefective, but may not if it effected proteins other than neuraminidase.

Social issue: The screen becoming 'free' in the future would mean use of taxpayers money, it may affect the economy
I think the ethical issue should be good,(EDIT: See PheonixxFire's post below) but the social issue is not in relation to the specific scenario given. The question wants a social issue that could arise from the finding that the couple are carriers of the same severe mutation - not a social issue about genetic screening in general

Also just a side note - you have made a few posts in a row and its probably best to edit your previous post rather than to make mutliple posts. Doing so just helps keep the threads a bit more organised.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2019, 09:18:47 pm by Erutepa »
Qualifications
 > Have counted to 227
 > Can draw really good spiders
 > 2 Poet points
 > 6.5 insanipi points
 > 1 Bri MT point

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • They/them/theirs
« Reply #178 on: November 03, 2019, 09:16:10 pm »
+2
Exam is far more important than ranking. Similar rankings can mean vastly different things between schools, just knowing someones rank is meaningless without context. All of those exam marks will be in the A+ range (potentially with the exception of 81%). There's no way they'll get anything remotely close to 28 with that.

81% will be approximately a 40, 90% will be approximately a 44, assuming equivalent GA1 and GA2 scores. If your GA1/2 scores are lower than your exam (your position as a percentile, not the actual score) then they'll go down a bit, if they're higher then they'll go up a bit. Your GA1 is likely to be a little lower, your GA2 will probably be somewhat equivalent to your exam (depending on what score you got) - but that can't really be predicted without knowing how your cohort did on the exam.

The baby wasn't being tested - both parents carrying the same recessive trait does not mean that the baby will inherit it. You wouldn't get the mark for the social one either because it's not relevant - the question asked about a social issue resulting from the finding that both parents/prospective parents carried the same mutation.

Stop beating me to questions Eru  >:(

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +35
« Reply #179 on: November 03, 2019, 09:40:26 pm »
think about that exam score, clearly an A+ which only 10% of the state get. Do u really think that equates to a 28-31?
2019 (Goals) ATAR: 93.00
Physics [44] Chemistry [40] Biology [40] English [35] Methods [25]