Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 24, 2024, 12:35:00 am

Author Topic: Improving english writing skills  (Read 1297 times)  Share 

Mariamnourine

• Forum Regular
  • Be a voice, not an Echo
  • Respect: +13
Improving english writing skills
« on: April 25, 2017, 02:07:51 pm »
Hey Everyone!
I'm a current year 12 student looking to improve my English writing skills.
Does anyone have any advice on how to do this, especially with language analysis!
Thanks Guys!  :)

p.s I heard reading a lot of books during year 12 REALLY helps, what are your thoughts?
2017: TT, Psychology, Further, English, BusMan

2018 : Nursing [Clinical leadership] /midwifery @ Deakin

You can't always win, but don't be afraid to fail.

Quantum44

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +313
Re: Improving english writing skills
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2017, 04:50:58 pm »
Hey Everyone!
I'm a current year 12 student looking to improve my English writing skills.
Does anyone have any advice on how to do this, especially with language analysis!
Thanks Guys!  :)

p.s I heard reading a lot of books during year 12 REALLY helps, what are your thoughts?

Traditionally good expression is acquired over time through reading quality literature. So if you want to improve, the key is to practice the specific type of response (in this case language analysis), take on board any feedback, and read quality literature in your spare time. Reading high ranking responses from other students also helps.

It would be also worthwhile, for language analysis in particular, to read the newspaper and try to analyse how they persuade the reader. Try to think about language techniques, appeals and how their arguments are logically structured.
UAdel MBBS

Mariamnourine

• Forum Regular
  • Be a voice, not an Echo
  • Respect: +13
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2017, 08:40:21 pm »
Traditionally good expression is acquired over time through reading quality literature. So if you want to improve, the key is to practice the specific type of response (in this case language analysis), take on board any feedback, and read quality literature in your spare time. Reading high ranking responses from other students also helps.

It would be also worthwhile, for language analysis in particular, to read the newspaper and try to analyse how they persuade the reader. Try to think about language techniques, appeals and how their arguments are logically structured.

Thanks Quantum44,  That newspaper idea is a winner!!
2017: TT, Psychology, Further, English, BusMan

2018 : Nursing [Clinical leadership] /midwifery @ Deakin

You can't always win, but don't be afraid to fail.

gisele

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
  • Respect: +45
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2017, 03:18:40 pm »
+2
I 100% agree with everything suggested so far!

Also, I went into year 12 with the worst possible writing skills ever tbh (ok maybe not the worst possible, but it was pretty bad trust me) and found that regular feedback was what worked best for me so, if anything, definitely try that out!

There's no point writing 50 essays without any feedback cause you'll prob end up making the same mistakes over and over. So what you want to do -every time you write an essay (or even just one practice body paragraph) make sure to get feedback from your teacher/tutor/peers before writing another piece. If you do this like once a week (or even just once a fortnight) from now onwards, you'll see improvement in no time. I can vouch for this  :)