Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 08:58:20 pm

Author Topic: VCE Legal Studies Question Thread  (Read 596469 times)  Share 

jeanweasley

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Trust only in yourself
  • Respect: +73
  • School: SHGC
  • School Grad Year: 2013
Re: VCE Legal Studies Question Thread
« Reply #750 on: March 16, 2013, 02:07:37 pm »
Okay. I'm kind of confused. If the question was :Evaluate two weaknesses of Parliament, would I still have to discuss its strengths?
I know that if the question asks for strengths and weaknesses that I would have to talk about both and give examples. My question was asking whether if the question focuses on only a strength or a weakness, that would I have to include the rebuttal information?
2014: BA @ Monash University
2015: LLB(Hons)/BA @ Monash University

yearningforsimplicity

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Former ATARNotes HHD & Psych Lecturer & Author
  • Respect: +133
« Reply #751 on: March 16, 2013, 02:37:00 pm »
I was told different we never had to make a judgement there if it said critically evaluate or just evaluate and it was a six mark question I would make three points with their corresponding strength and weakness.
Ask you teacher what they want in their answers but this is what I did the whole year

I never made "judgements" for 'critically evaluate' Q's either - I always thought critically evaluate just meant to explain one strength and one weakness (this explanation yielding 2 marks so you'd know how many points to discuss depending on the marks given) :) On the other hand, if the Q said something like "Conclude", "Deduce" or "Make a statement about bla bla", then you would probably make some sort of judgement :)
2011: English | Methods | Psychology | Health & Human Development | Legal Studies | Texts & Traditions
2012: B.A. (Psychology) @ UniMelb
2015-16: Master of Teaching (Secondary: Psychology/Health) @ UniMelb
2017- Teaching Psych & HHD :D

Happy to help out with; Health & HD(48), Psych(48), Qs about UniMelb Psych or MTeach courses :D

*Doing Health & Human Development in 2021?* :D
yearningforsimplicity's HHD 3&4 EXAM REVISION PACKS :)

michak

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +21
  • School: Westbourne Grammar School
  • School Grad Year: 2012
« Reply #752 on: March 16, 2013, 02:40:43 pm »
+1
I never made "judgements" for 'critically evaluate' Q's either - I always thought critically evaluate just meant to explain one strength and one weakness (this explanation yielding 2 marks so you'd know how many points to discuss depending on the marks given) :) On the other hand, if the Q said something like "Conclude", "Deduce" or "Make a statement about bla bla", then you would probably make some sort of judgement :)
Okay. I'm kind of confused. If the question was :Evaluate two weaknesses of Parliament, would I still have to discuss its strengths?
I know that if the question asks for strengths and weaknesses that I would have to talk about both and give examples. My question was asking whether if the question focuses on only a strength or a weakness, that would I have to include the rebuttal information?

Evaluate means to look at both sides so because it says evaluate a weakness you give one weakness of parliament and explain why it is a weakness but the give a strength of that weakness
For example one weakness of parliament is thaey don't actyally sit in parliament for a lot of the the of the year however a strength is that it has the power to delegate law making powers to other authorities to make them a subordinate which can now make law on behalf of the parliament

Does that make sense
2011: Bio [36]
2012: Legal [42] PE [43] Chem [33] English [40] Methods [25] 
ATAR: 93.30
2013: B. Arts at Monash University
2014: Bachelor of Laws/Bachelor of Arts at Monash

hjm2

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
  • School: St. Joseph's College Geelong
« Reply #753 on: March 16, 2013, 02:50:57 pm »
+1
From my understanding, evaluate questions just require strength vs weakness, whereas critically evaluate requires strength vs weakness then a conclusion or opinion.
VCE 2012: ATAR - 97.75
English [38] Further [41] Accounting [46] Business [47] Legal [50]
2013: Arts/LLB @ Monash Clayton

awesomejames

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +7
« Reply #754 on: March 16, 2013, 03:50:09 pm »
+1
What if the question were to start with,

"Discuss..."

Would that mean you basically just talk about the strengths and the weaknesses and that all. Like our teacher told us not to form an opinion. And also, regarding forming an opinion for a question starting with "discuss" how would you write a conclusion without actually STATING your opinion or agreeing with the statement? (hope you know what i mean :P)

Our teacher also said when you see this question you don't really need an introduction, and you can get straight into what you're saying. Eg: "a weakness of parliament as a law-maker is...". Then next paragraph, "however, a strength as parliament as a law-maker is...".

So, he basically said no introduction is needed. Is this correct?

jeanweasley

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Trust only in yourself
« Reply #755 on: March 16, 2013, 04:01:15 pm »
Evaluate means to look at both sides so because it says evaluate a weakness you give one weakness of parliament and explain why it is a weakness but the give a strength of that weakness
For example one weakness of parliament is thaey don't actyally sit in parliament for a lot of the the of the year however a strength is that it has the power to delegate law making powers to other authorities to make them a subordinate which can now make law on behalf of the parliament

Does that make sense

Oh okay. So it doesn't matter whether it's talking about a strength or a weakness because you still have to discuss both. Alright, that makes sense.

jeanweasley

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Trust only in yourself
« Reply #756 on: March 16, 2013, 04:04:58 pm »
What if the question were to start with,

"Discuss..."

Would that mean you basically just talk about the strengths and the weaknesses and that all. Like our teacher told us not to form an opinion. And also, regarding forming an opinion for a question starting with "discuss" how would you write a conclusion without actually STATING your opinion or agreeing with the statement? (hope you know what i mean :P)

Our teacher also said when you see this question you don't really need an introduction, and you can get straight into what you're saying. Eg: "a weakness of parliament as a law-maker is...". Then next paragraph, "however, a strength as parliament as a law-maker is...".

So, he basically said no introduction is needed. Is this correct?

Well, our teacher said that in our intro we MUST always have the statement "Parliament is a supreme law-maker" and address other terms in the question. She also said that you can also signpost the strengths.

jeanweasley

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Trust only in yourself
« Reply #757 on: March 16, 2013, 07:54:46 pm »
Ooh. I'm back with another question.What do sections 92, 99 and 128 of the Constitution mean? It's quite hard to understand. :/
Thanks in advance for your help.

michak

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +21
  • School: Westbourne Grammar School
« Reply #758 on: March 16, 2013, 07:58:05 pm »
Ooh. I'm back with another question.What do sections 92, 99 and 128 of the Constitution mean? It's quite hard to understand. :/
Thanks in advance for your help.

Section 128 - referendum process, need to know this inside and out
section 99 - the commonwealth must treat all states equally in regards to revenue, commerce and trade
section 92 - trade and the movement of people between states shall be free (as in you can't put a tax on it)
2011: Bio [36]
2012: Legal [42] PE [43] Chem [33] English [40] Methods [25] 
ATAR: 93.30
2013: B. Arts at Monash University
2014: Bachelor of Laws/Bachelor of Arts at Monash

jeanweasley

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Trust only in yourself
« Reply #759 on: March 16, 2013, 08:29:06 pm »
Section 128 - referendum process, need to know this inside and out
section 99 - the commonwealth must treat all states equally in regards to revenue, commerce and trade
section 92 - trade and the movement of people between states shall be free (as in you can't put a tax on it)

Thanks. :)

meganrobyn

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +62
« Reply #760 on: March 18, 2013, 03:35:31 pm »
+1
A few quick things!

1. No difference between evaluate and critically evaluate. Treat them the same as analyse, as well.

2. All of them require an opinion. At the start, at the end, or both. You don't usually get a mark *for* it, but you lose one without it.

3. If you evaluate a weakness you have to start with the weakness then go to the corresponding strength - not the other way around or half marks lost. Then you finish with a short opinion on whether the weakness is really a huge weakness.

4. Unless the question asks you to, you don't need to say that parliament is the supreme law-maker.
[Update: full for 2018.] I give Legal lectures through CPAP, and am an author for the CPAP 'Legal Fundamentals' textbook and the Legal 3/4 Study Guide.
Available for private tutoring in English and Legal Studies.
Experience in Legal 3/4 assessing; author of Legal textbook; degrees in Law and English; VCE teaching experience in Legal Studies and English. Legal Studies [50] English [50] way back when.
Good luck!

jeanweasley

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Trust only in yourself
« Reply #761 on: March 18, 2013, 04:01:18 pm »
A few quick things!

1. No difference between evaluate and critically evaluate. Treat them the same as analyse, as well.

2. All of them require an opinion. At the start, at the end, or both. You don't usually get a mark *for* it, but you lose one without it.

3. If you evaluate a weakness you have to start with the weakness then go to the corresponding strength - not the other way around or half marks lost. Then you finish with a short opinion on whether the weakness is really a huge weakness.

4. Unless the question asks you to, you don't need to say that parliament is the supreme law-maker.

Okay, that makes more sense. But for 4) my teacher says that it's a must to  be put on when responding to the question. So do I just leave it or what?

awesomejames

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +7
« Reply #762 on: March 18, 2013, 04:21:10 pm »
A few quick things!

Can u give some info for questions starting with discuss?

meganrobyn

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #763 on: March 18, 2013, 08:52:01 pm »
Okay, that makes more sense. But for 4) my teacher says that it's a must to  be put on when responding to the question. So do I just leave it or what?

For SACs, your teacher is god. Or, rather, whoever is marking it is god. Do what they say.
[Update: full for 2018.] I give Legal lectures through CPAP, and am an author for the CPAP 'Legal Fundamentals' textbook and the Legal 3/4 Study Guide.
Experience in Legal 3/4 assessing; author of Legal textbook; degrees in Law and English; VCE teaching experience in Legal Studies and English. Legal Studies [50] English [50] way back when.
Good luck!

meganrobyn

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #764 on: March 18, 2013, 08:54:16 pm »
Can u give some info for questions starting with discuss?

I treat 'discuss' questions exactly the same as analyse, evaluate and critically evaluate. Basically, they want you to weigh up reasons for and against an opinion. They're marked essentially the same, but even if technically you were *allowed* to only look at strengths or only look at weaknesses - why would you? That's chopping out half your notes, which you spent so much time writing and learning!
Good luck!