Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 05:20:01 pm

Author Topic: georgie's vce journey <3  (Read 3094 times)

afuturepsych

• Adventurer
  • hi! i'm georgie n i spend all my time on pinterest
  • Respect: +16
georgie's vce journey <3
« on: May 05, 2020, 05:17:53 pm »
+17
i have seen and followed (more than a few) of these for quite some time...
so, HELLO!!
my name's georgie, and i'm in year 12 this year!
i'm studying methods, biology, chemistry, english and french
(i also did psych 3/4 last year and received a 43, which i was both happy and unhappy with?! i really wanted a 45+ but i had a lot of family stuff go down last year that meant i basically didn't learn an entire outcome so i've kind of accepted it. really miss the subject)
atm, i'm tutoring psych 3/4 and younger years french at my school, which i'm finding rewarding and a nice break.
i just wanted to do a rundown on each of my subjects
biology
- it is quite easy to learn via remote learning, so i appreciate that
- i want to do medicine/biomedicine, so arguably one of the most important subjects for me, but i'm really struggling with motivation for it. i LOVED bio 1/2, but really disliked the first 3/4 outcome. i am enjoying immunity so far, so that's a plus! my best friend received a 44 in bio so he's been really helpful.
- dream study score is anywhere between 35 and 40
chemistry
- my favourite subject atm (and i despise 1/2!! so that's strange)
- really enjoy the content and i find it pretty straight forward
- my teacher can be a tiny bit frustrating, as he gives a lot of work on top of 2 double periods of zoom lessons/week, but i think i'm keeping on top of it pretty well
- dream study score is anywhere between 40 and 45
english
- so i did unit 1 of literature and let me just say... ohmygodimisslit
- english is MUCH more structured. some people like that. i really don't. like reallyreallyreally don't.
- i'm quite harsh on myself, particularly when it comes to english, because i was always the GiFtEd english kid
- i am enjoying the 3/4 english texts much more than the 1/2 texts
- we are currently doing a group task, and 2/5 people have contributed so far. imma need a nap when its due
- dream study score is anywhere between 40 and 45
french
- my other favourite subject!
- i am such a francophile it's not even funny...
- i went on exchange over the summer and loved it, i was going to visit my host family at the end of this year but that's looking doubtful...
- i love the oral section of french the most. i put way too much effort into oral and writing compared to my other sections, but i'm working on evening that out :))
methods
- hell in a subject
- i'm not that bad at it when i'm up to date but why does a subject have SO MANY EXERCISES. it just seems unnecessary to me lmao
- i always seem to be behind...
- dream study score is anywhere between 30 and 40
special mention: ucat
- so my second uni pref (after monash med) is only 10% ucat weighted, which means my stress levels are MUCH LOWER than they should be
- haven't done nearly enough prep and i am WAITING for the realisation that it's coming up to slap me in the face
- best sections are situational judgement and verbal reasoning by far. abstract reasoning and quantitative reasoning... i have a bone to pick with you...
- dream ucat score is anywhere above the 90th percentile lol
ok thank you for reading this far <3 i'll try to keep up to date, but i am an Expert procrastinator. have a nice quarantuesday everyone!!
« Last Edit: May 25, 2020, 08:06:04 pm by afuturepsych »
kld class of 2020
'19:
psychology (43)
'20:
bio (38)
chem (37)
english (41)
french (37)
methods (38)
atar:
course:
bsci unimelb

Geoo

• MOTM: DEC 19
  • Forum Leader
  • Class of 2020
  • Respect: +685
Re: georgie's vce journey <3
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2020, 05:45:48 pm »
+5
Welcome to the forums Georgie!
Awesome subject selection, I feel the exact same way about bio, I finished it last year and I so do miss it. Do you think you'll continue to study psych after highschool? Good luck on completing with 8 subjects, I commend you for your dedication! In your free time, do you have many hobbies outside of school?
I  feel the same with chem, and I think quite a few people do, but I absolutely hated 1/2 chem, so i'm really glad i'm enjoying 3/4, it's been alot more interesting so far. What have you been enjoying so far, I think equilibrium has been my favourite, but i'm really looking forward to food chem and organic (even though they removed quite a large chunk of :(.

Looking forward to more updates!
2020: VCE 93.2
2022: BSci/Arts (Chemistry/Pharmacology and French)@Monash

Chocolatemilkshake

• MOTM: JAN 21
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +371
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2020, 05:55:37 pm »
+5
Nice to meet you georgie, we are doing such similar subjects! It's great you like the oral section of french, do you have any tips for it? I find french so hard (definitely not my favourite subject ahaha) and it's such a competitive subject, but it's also really beautiful!
Your aspirations after high school are so similar to mine (med or biomed). Chemistry is my favourite subject too! (so many similarities  ;D)
If you liked lit so much why did you drop it? Timetabling issue?

Can't wait to follow your journal in the future, good luck with the online learning - CM

Edit; typo
« Last Edit: May 05, 2020, 06:22:34 pm by Chocolatemilkshake »
2021-2025: BMedSci/M.D @ Monash

Evolio

• MOTM: MAY 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +485
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2020, 05:58:26 pm »
+3
Hello georgie! Nice to meet you!  ;D

Oo, looks like we have 4 subjects in common! I agree, Psychology is amazing! I'm doing it now and I absolutely love it!

- so i did unit 1 of literature and let me just say... ohmygodimisslit
- i'm quite harsh on myself, particularly when it comes to english, because i was always the GiFtEd english kid
Teach me your ways! I'm really bad at English so the only reason I'm doing Lit is because I love the subjective nature of it! And how it delves into things you don't really learn in English (I think) such as psychoanalytic theory! It's just so deep, ya know? What did you like about Lit when you did it last year?

- i'm not that bad at it when i'm up to date but why does a subject have SO MANY EXERCISES. it just seems unnecessary to me lmao
Haha, ME! I did it last year and sometimes it felt like I was doing methods all the time.

Cool, I'm going for med as well! What interests you about med?

Looking forward to future Journal updates.  8)
« Last Edit: May 10, 2020, 09:43:49 am by Evolio »

ashmi

• MOTM: June 20
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Living an illusion
  • Respect: +660
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2020, 06:16:33 pm »
+5
Hey georgie!! ;D

Welcome to the super addictive VCE Journey Journals!

I can confirm that we are spiritually the same🤣👌 . Methods has so many repetitive exercises and sometimes I really do question myself because no matter how much I do, it never seems to stop! I absolutely hated 1/2 Chem so I can totally understand you with 3/4 being completely different.

Is there a reason you are aiming for Med? Either way I'm super excited to see more of this journal unfold!

afuturepsych

• Adventurer
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2020, 07:43:34 pm »
+6
Good luck on completing with 8 subjects, I commend you for your dedication! In your free time, do you have many hobbies outside of school?
hi geoo! thank you for your kindness! only 6 subjects, sorry to disappoint ;) but at my school 6 is mandatory! i'm not much of a free time person, as i often work in fast food, but i do love singing and ukulele - i did musical last year and was apart of 2 choirs until the virus hit....
I  feel the same with chem, and I think quite a few people do, but I absolutely hated 1/2 chem, so i'm really glad i'm enjoying 3/4, it's been alot more interesting so far. What have you been enjoying so far, I think equilibrium has been my favourite, but i'm really looking forward to food chem and organic (even though they removed quite a large chunk of :(.
my favourite topic was def fuels - is that weird?! but i am very excited for organic, i really loved that component of fuels!! have a great night friend!

I agree, Psychology is amazing! I'm doing it now and I absolutely love it!
hi evolio! thank you for your reply <3  i'm glad you're liking psych - i wish i was doing it this year.
Teach me your ways! I'm really bad at English so the only reason I'm doing Lit is because I loved the subjective nature of it! And how it delves into things you don't really learn in Enlglish (I think) such as psychoanalytic theory! It's just so deep, ya know? What did you like about Lit when you did it last year?
i totally miss the subjectivity of lit, esp. the critical readings and i felt the texts are at a much higher level in comparison to english. also, my marks were better ;)
Cool, I'm going for med as well! What interests you about med?
i'm interested in med as my absolute dream is to work with MSF international (thus the french) as a doctor - so in third world countries. it sounds so rewarding!

Is there a reason you are aiming for Med? Either way I'm super excited to see more of this journal unfold!
hey ashmi! cool to see another 2020 kld-er on the forums :)) as mentioned above, med is hopefully leading to working with mSF. thank you for your comment <3

It's great you like the oral section of french, do you have any tips for it? I find french so hard (definitely not my favourite subject ahaha) and it's such a competitive subject, but it's also really beautiful!
hi CM! another kld-er... am i starting to see a trend?
my oral for french massively improved after my exchange, so i think trying to speak french as much as you can - often i'll end up saying random sentences to myself in the shower... also just drafting responses for as many of the questions you can, and having filler words (eg. cependant, toutefois) - i practice these using anki (best app omg)
If you liked lit so much why did you drop it? Timetabling issue?
i actually dropped lit due to anxiety about receiving a lower study score - quite frustrated at my past self, as i averaged a+ in lit but then b+/a in english whoops
« Last Edit: May 05, 2020, 07:53:44 pm by afuturepsych »
kld class of 2020
'19:
psychology (43)
'20:
bio (38)
chem (37)
english (41)
french (37)
methods (38)
atar:
course:
bsci unimelb

ThunderDragon

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +110
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2020, 07:57:26 pm »
+3
Haha welcome georgie! I think I know what your second preference course is hahaha from my extensive time spending researching courses instead of doing homework.
2019 - Geography [41]
2020 - English, Methods, Chem, Bio and Psych [39]
2021 - 2023 Bachelor of Science at Monash

ThunderDragon's Journey to Med

Currently offering tutoring in 3/4 Psychology for 2022. PM if interested!

afuturepsych

• Adventurer
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2020, 08:02:48 pm »
+1
Haha welcome georgie! I think I know what your second preference course is hahaha from my extensive time spending researching courses instead of doing homework.
we're also fb friends you goose ;)
kld class of 2020
'19:
psychology (43)
'20:
bio (38)
chem (37)
english (41)
french (37)
methods (38)
atar:
course:
bsci unimelb

Geoo

• MOTM: DEC 19
  • Forum Leader
  • Class of 2020
  • Respect: +685
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2020, 08:15:47 pm »
+4
hi geoo! thank you for your kindness! only 6 subjects, sorry to disappoint ;) but at my school 6 is mandatory! i'm not much of a free time person, as i often work in fast food, but i do love singing and ukulele - i did musical last year and was apart of 2 choirs until the virus hit....my favourite topic was def fuels - is that weird?! but i am very excited for organic, i really loved that component of fuels!! have a great night friend!
Not sure where I got that number than, I must of counted the UCAT, woops!
It't not everyday someone learns the ukulele, how did you come to learn how to play?
I think the great thing about fuels is how it really is so applicable to real life. I mean in the next few months i'm looking to buy my first car,  so with the knowledge from the first AOS, I think it will really help me make a decision. I found the biofuels more interesting than the fossil fuels though. The lengths some go to to create bio fuel (especially bioethanol and biodiesel) is quite astounding, and the chemical process' involved are very interesting!
2020: VCE 93.2
2022: BSci/Arts (Chemistry/Pharmacology and French)@Monash

TigerMum

• Trendsetter
  • Master Procrastinator
  • Respect: +86
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2020, 08:32:13 pm »
+2
Hello georgie and welcome to the forums!  ;D
french
- my other favourite subject!
- i am such a francophile it's not even funny...
- i went on exchange over the summer and loved it, i was going to visit my host family at the end of this year but that's looking doubtful...
- i love the oral section of french the most. i put way too much effort into oral and writing compared to my other sections, but i'm working on evening that out :))

Yay, another LOTE student on here! I'm doing Italian for VCE (despite not having a single drop of Italian blood in me). I have to say, I am quite the opposite of you in regards to which sections I put effort into the most/which sections I am good at. My reading is head and shoulders above everything else; I just read the Italian news all the time. My listening really needs some work; I can understand when someone is speaking slowly, however, Italians aren't really known for speaking slowly  ;)

That's pretty unfortunate that you won't get to see your host family again, I was supposed to go on an exchange in December this year but that looks dead in the water.  :(

Do you have any plans for French after you finish school? (living/studying over there, taking French classes at uni etc.)

afuturepsych

• Adventurer
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2020, 08:44:54 pm »
+4
Yay, another LOTE student on here! I'm doing Italian for VCE (despite not having a single drop of Italian blood in me). I have to say, I am quite the opposite of you in regards to which sections I put effort into the most/which sections I am good at. My reading is head and shoulders above everything else; I just read the Italian news all the time. My listening really needs some work; I can understand when someone is speaking slowly, however, Italians aren't really known for speaking slowly  ;)
thank you tigermum! my twin brother is doing 3/4 italian this year, and we are decisively not italian - but he speaks it fluently (literally... i am so jealous of him)
hahaha, french aren't known for speaking either! i studied italian through primary school and junior high school, but had to drop it unfortunately to continue french. i don't remember much though!
That's pretty unfortunate that you won't get to see your host family again, I was supposed to go on an exchange in December this year but that looks dead in the water.  :(
ahh that's the worse news! maybe try and find some online friends in italy, i know my brother found that really helpful and speaks to native italians most days
Do you have any plans for French after you finish school? (living/studying over there, taking French classes at uni etc.)
i will definitely do french at uni, but as i mentioned in other replies, my dream is to work with MSF international, where french or hebrew is a requirement, as they do mostly work in francophone countries. so french will definitely be a help for that.
thank you for your comments !!

Not sure where I got that number than, I must of counted the UCAT, woops!
It't not everyday someone learns the ukulele, how did you come to learn how to play?
I think the great thing about fuels is how it really is so applicable to real life. I mean in the next few months i'm looking to buy my first car,  so with the knowledge from the first AOS, I think it will really help me make a decision. I found the biofuels more interesting than the fossil fuels though. The lengths some go to to create bio fuel (especially bioethanol and biodiesel) is quite astounding, and the chemical process' involved are very interesting!
i learnt to play ukulele mostly as an accompaniment for singing, but i've been playing for i think 3 years now, and i love it so much. i taught myself via youtube and ukulele tabs.
i really loved biofuels too - i'm a bit of a greenie at heart, so it was a bit heartbreaking to find out how much effort (and money!!!) these biofuels require, but i'm sure we will make leaps and bounds in research so that they are a bit more viable for daily life.
jealous of you re: driving! i was booked in to (finally, two years later) get my learners later this month, but it has just been cancelled :(
« Last Edit: May 05, 2020, 08:48:28 pm by afuturepsych »
kld class of 2020
'19:
psychology (43)
'20:
bio (38)
chem (37)
english (41)
french (37)
methods (38)
atar:
course:
bsci unimelb

claudiaelena

• Fresh Poster
  • claudia
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2020, 10:56:26 pm »
+3
hi georgie
I am doing psych 1/2 in year 10 and I really hope next year I can get an amazing ss like your's
I have no idea how to use this forum so how do I follow you? if thats even a thing hehe

lm21074

• MOTM: JAN 19
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +594
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2020, 11:09:48 pm »
+7
Hi claudiaelena!

Welcome to the ATAR Notes Forum!

On this forum, you cannot follow people as of yet. The closest thing you can do this is use the Notify button found at either the top right or bottom right of each thread. This will notify you by email when a reply is posted to a thread.

You'll find an array of buttons that looks like this:

Good luck with Psych 1/2! :)
2021: VCE
2022: Science / Arts @ Monash

saraoc

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2020, 09:36:42 am »
i have seen and followed (more than a few) of these for quite some time...
so, HELLO!!
my name's georgie, and i'm in year 12 this year!
i'm studying methods, biology, chemistry, english and french

Hi!!! Everyones journals are so cool, im thinking of starting one too haha
Whats your favourite subject? and do you have any tips for 3/4 Psych
- sara ✧:・゚

afuturepsych

• Adventurer
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2020, 07:57:32 pm »
+3
Hi!!! Everyones journals are so cool, im thinking of starting one too haha
Whats your favourite subject? and do you have any tips for 3/4 Psych
hi saraoc! yes they're good fun to make, and help keep you a little bit accountable
i love french and chem, as i said in my post!! re: psych.... don't play papa's freezeria in all your unit 4 classes like i did  ;)
kld class of 2020
'19:
psychology (43)
'20:
bio (38)
chem (37)
english (41)
french (37)
methods (38)
atar:
course:
bsci unimelb