Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 12:54:47 am

Author Topic: English Comparative Tracks and Charlies Country  (Read 3952 times)  Share 

Brandon.warren

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
English Comparative Tracks and Charlies Country
« on: August 05, 2019, 08:27:57 am »
Hey all,
Our school is studying 'Charlies country' and tracks for the comparative for VCE.
I'm struggling with the insight gained for the differences. My teacher has explained it but is very hard to get around it. Wondering if anyone had the same problem and have a solution for it or what should I do

OZLexico

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +8
Re: English Comparative Tracks and Charlies Country
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2019, 11:29:09 am »
I'm not an expert on these two texts but you could consider the point of view first - In "Tracks", Robyn is choosing to move away from the settlements and any kind of familiar urban life and learning to be at ease in remote and desolate places. Charlie is at ease in his own place on the edge of a small town but is forced to confront the complexities of the urban environment when his health suffers and he's taken to hospital. I think the director also tries to be invisible to ensure that this is a 'genuine' (?) representation of indigenous experience, so there is a layering of the story - it's not just Charlie's experiences but how the director wants viewers to see that experience. In "Tracks", it's a bit more straightforward as Davidson tells her own story. So the landscape in "Tracks" seems like an alien place whereas in "Charlie's Country" it's the urban environment and the hospital (as well as rules and regulations, relationships with police) that seem really wierd and disorienting.