Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 07:38:14 pm

Author Topic: Is a minor in Economics with a major in Mathematics allowed?  (Read 3781 times)  Share 

schoolstudent115

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +6
I’ve been researching how to do particular minors along with the bachelor of science (I’d like to major in maths). It seems quite confusing and I can’t find all the details.

What can you do as a minor alongside maths?
2021: ATAR: 99.95
2022-2024: University of Melbourne, BSci (Major in Mathematics and Statistics)

rkjthguakj

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +45
Re: Is a minor in Economics with a major in Mathematics allowed?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2021, 02:53:14 pm »
+4
At Melbourne, minors from a faculty that isn't from your degree faculty (in your instance, the science faculty), would not be allowed as an official minor. Hence, you can not 'officially' take economics as a minor if you are enrolled in the Bachelor of Science, as it is under the commerce/arts faculty. It would not appear on your academic transcript.

However, as you do have breadths available to you, you can take economic subjects through your breadths. If you were to use all your breadths on economics, this would be the equivalent of minoring in economics, but would not be officially recognised by the university.

Hope this helps. (P.S. I'm a first year and might be wrong about some of these things)
2019: Business Management
2020: English | Methods | Economics | Legal Studies | Global Politics
2021: Bachelor of Commerce @ UniMelb
2022- 2024: Bachelor of Arts @ UniMelb | Diploma in Languages (Chinese)

schoolstudent115

• Trendsetter
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2021, 04:36:36 pm »
At Melbourne, minors from a faculty that isn't from your degree faculty (in your instance, the science faculty), would not be allowed as an official minor. Hence, you can not 'officially' take economics as a minor if you are enrolled in the Bachelor of Science, as it is under the commerce/arts faculty. It would not appear on your academic transcript.

However, as you do have breadths available to you, you can take economic subjects through your breadths. If you were to use all your breadths on economics, this would be the equivalent of minoring in economics, but would not be officially recognised by the university.

Hope this helps. (P.S. I'm a first year and might be wrong about some of these things)
Thanks this does help.
Would this mean that in theory, I could take breadth subjects in economics (as you said) and also minor in another science related area (such as physics, or data science?).

M909

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +48
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2021, 10:35:07 pm »
+1
rkjthguakj is pretty much correct, although I'd add that I don't think you'd have enough credits in your BSci alone to technically do all the subjects in a BCom major - You generally have up to 6 breadth and this would require 2 level 2, 3 level 3 and 2 prerequisite level 1 subjects, this pretty much explains what the major entails pretty well. But if you plan carefully (I.e. check out the "what will I study" sample plan and try to find in everything you're interesting in keeping in mind prerequisites and semester availability from indidvidual handbook entries such as this one), you can get pretty close and pick out which subjects best suit your purpose. But also keep in mind there'd be a certain number of level 1, 2 and 3 subjects you have to do for a BSci in general.

As for a science minor, I don't believe science officially recognises minors (as far as I know only arts do this, but happy to be corrected if I've said anything incorrect). Similar to what rkjthguakj  said above you can also probably technically do enough subjects for two majors with free science electives (would be easier if a major closely related to maths like mathematical physics or data science), but your transcript would only officially recognise the major you officially choose in your study plan.

That being said, this might also be difficult if you want to use all your breadths on economics. Another option could be to do a BSci in the other major you're interesting in and do a concurrent maths diploma if you're super keen on exploring all these different areas and don't mind possibly having to extend your degree. Although apparently you can't do this with data science, but I think it'd work with a physics major

Best of luck, hopefully this wasn't information overload.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2021, 10:42:53 pm by M909 »
VCE, 2015-2016
BCom (Econ) @ UniMelb, 2017-2019
MCEng (Elec) @ UniMelb, 2020-?

schoolstudent115

• Trendsetter
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2021, 11:18:11 pm »
rkjthguakj is pretty much correct, although I'd add that I don't think you'd have enough credits in your BSci alone to technically do all the subjects in a BCom major - You generally have up to 6 breadth and this would require 2 level 2, 3 level 3 and 2 prerequisite level 1 subjects, this pretty much explains what the major entails pretty well. But if you plan carefully (I.e. check out the "what will I study" sample plan and try to find in everything you're interesting in keeping in mind prerequisites and semester availability from indidvidual handbook entries such as this one), you can get pretty close and pick out which subjects best suit your purpose. But also keep in mind there'd be a certain number of level 1, 2 and 3 subjects you have to do for a BSci in general.

As for a science minor, I don't believe science officially recognises minors (as far as I know only arts do this, but happy to be corrected if I've said anything incorrect). Similar to what rkjthguakj  said above you can also probably technically do enough subjects for two majors with free science electives (would be easier if a major closely related to maths like mathematical physics or data science), but your transcript would only officially recognise the major you officially choose in your study plan.

That being said, this might also be difficult if you want to use all your breadths on economics. Another option could be to do a BSci in the other major you're interesting in and do a concurrent maths diploma if you're super keen on exploring all these different areas and don't mind possibly having to extend your degree. Although apparently you can't do this with data science, but I think it'd work with a physics major

Best of luck, hopefully this wasn't information overload.
I see. It's funny you mention data science, as that was what I had in mind as a BSci minor. But as a minor is not possible for BSci, I may just major in Maths, then take electives for Data science. As far as economics goes, I think just doing some as part of my breadths (but not to the extent that this becomes a minor/major) would be fine.

Thanks for the information (and I appreciate the detail, twasn't overload).

hums_student

• MOTM: SEP 18
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +520
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2021, 11:20:32 pm »
+1
As rkjthguakj and M909 already stated, you can't minor in Economics from BSc. However, you can complete the subjects that make up an Economics minor (so you technically did all the subjects required for the minor, it just won't be officially recognised). These are:

First year - ECON10004 and ECON10003 (Introductory Micro and Macroeconomics)

Second year - ECON20002 and ECON20001 (Intermediate Micro and Macroeconomics)

Third year - two level 3 ECON subjects.
2019-21: Bachelor of Arts (Politics & Int'l Relations / Economics)