Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 30, 2024, 01:59:02 am

Author Topic: Learning 3/4 Japanese SL without 1/2  (Read 2022 times)  Share 

belsarino

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Learning 3/4 Japanese SL without 1/2
« on: March 11, 2017, 05:31:54 pm »
Is it possible to go for the Unit 3/4 Japanese SL without taking 1/2?

I have been learning Japanese since I was in year 7 and then I didn't take UNIT 1/2 because my school didn't offer it but they have a Unit 3/4 so is it possible to learn 3/4 without the knowledge of 1/2?

AngelWings

• Victorian Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
  • Respect: +1425
Re: Learning 3/4 Japanese SL without 1/2
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2017, 06:30:09 pm »
Is it possible to go for the Unit 3/4 Japanese SL without taking 1/2?

I have been learning Japanese since I was in year 7 and then I didn't take UNIT 1/2 because my school didn't offer it but they have a Unit 3/4 so is it possible to learn 3/4 without the knowledge of 1/2?

This is completely possible, as long as your skills are up to date and you're sure that you can put in the hard yards to catch up on the missed vocabulary and grammar from Japanese 1/2. Japanese 1/2 tends to discuss more personal topics, compared to Japanese 3/4, which discusses more about the country's culture and world issues. Have a look at the study design to see what you missed and will be doing.
VCE: Psych | Eng Lang | LOTE | Methods | Further | Chem                 
Uni: Bachelor of Science (Hons) - genetics
Current: working (sporadically on AN)
VTAC Info Thread

Max Kawasakii

• Trailblazer
  • Just try and stop me
  • Respect: +6
Re: Learning 3/4 Japanese SL without 1/2
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2017, 09:02:09 pm »
This is absolutely possible!! In fact it is these circumstances that I am under currently. I missed Unit 1/2 due to it clashing with another one of my subjects, so over the summer break I went out and bought the text books my class completed during the year, and completed them over summer. When there was something I didn't understand entirely, I would see if there were any relevant websites (there a multitude of resources available online), if that failed, I turned to certain websites like lang-8. Think of my particular example as a pen pal website (kind of)... let me explain... On the website a Japanese person learning English would post an essay or sentence and someone who had English as their native language would correct/offer advice. This worked hand in hand with those who wear learning Japanese, all my questions were answered by a native!

I have a profound love for second languages, so studying was 'easier' for me, the biggest skills you want to acquire from 1/2 are in my opinion, the ability to have general conversations, and memory retention. Learn a grammar point, study it, revisit it 3 weeks later to keep it fresh! You just have to be prepared to do more than the person sitting next to you, even more so in your case.

Hopefully this offered an insight, it's possible, it's an amazing subject, you just have to work hard :)
'Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value.' - Albert Einstein