Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 03:53:20 pm

Author Topic: 2022 study design changes - will it be much different?  (Read 3092 times)  Share 

HappyMe

• Adventurer
  • Everything happens for a reason
  • Respect: 0
2022 study design changes - will it be much different?
« on: August 15, 2021, 07:33:46 pm »
So every 3 years, the VCE curriculum for subjects changes and you need to buy new books as some things apparently are changed around in the new edition. However, I want to ask if anyone has an idea on how MUCH the design changes. I'm personally not keen on buying new books, and would much rather just buy second hand so would it be alright to buy this years book for next year? (My school doesn't allow tech in class so can't use PDF's :c)
2021 - Psychology 1/2
2022 - Psychology 3/4, Further 3/4, Biology 1/2, Legal 1/2, English 1/2, H&HD 1/2
2023 - Biology 3/4, Legal 3/4, English 3/4, H&HD 3/4

literally lauren

• Administrator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Resident English/Lit Nerd
  • Respect: +1423
Re: 2022 study design changes - will it be much different?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2021, 08:25:23 pm »
+2
So every 3 years, the VCE curriculum for subjects changes and you need to buy new books as some things apparently are changed around in the new edition. However, I want to ask if anyone has an idea on how MUCH the design changes. I'm personally not keen on buying new books, and would much rather just buy second hand so would it be alright to buy this years book for next year? (My school doesn't allow tech in class so can't use PDF's :c)
The only one you'll have to worry about is Bio, as your other subjects aren't changing until 2023 (so congrats, you're graduating just in time to make the most of second hand resources! :D )

There are some fairly big changes to the Bio SD, but most resources will still be 95% useful. The core concepts of cellular processes, DNA technologies, fossil dating etc. are still the same. However, you'll have to be extra cautious if you're using an outdated book since it might either:

- Go into too much detail that you no longer have to learn for Units 3&4 (e.g. apoptosis has been simplified and moved to Unit 1)

- Not cover the specifics of new things that have been added (e.g. more detail for C3/C4/CAM plants and CRISPR-Cas9 will be required for Unit 3)

So long as you're aware of those two potential issues, you should definitely make the most of any existing resources out there. Just don't use old textbooks/notes etc. as your bible for what you do or do not have to know - only use the study design for that! :)
You can download the new study design if you scroll to the bottom of this page. We've also published the new ATAR Notes books for Biology, and most other companies (Checkpoints, A+, etc.) will do so soon too if they haven't already. But old ones are absolutely useful so long as you're cautious about how you use them!

mystic_dragon123

• Adventurer
  • Year 9
  • Respect: 0
Re: 2022 study design changes - will it be much different?
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2021, 08:58:08 pm »
The only one you'll have to worry about is Bio, as your other subjects aren't changing until 2023 (so congrats, you're graduating just in time to make the most of second hand resources! :D )

There are some fairly big changes to the Bio SD, but most resources will still be 95% useful. The core concepts of cellular processes, DNA technologies, fossil dating etc. are still the same. However, you'll have to be extra cautious if you're using an outdated book since it might either:

- Go into too much detail that you no longer have to learn for Units 3&4 (e.g. apoptosis has been simplified and moved to Unit 1)

- Not cover the specifics of new things that have been added (e.g. more detail for C3/C4/CAM plants and CRISPR-Cas9 will be required for Unit 3)

So long as you're aware of those two potential issues, you should definitely make the most of any existing resources out there. Just don't use old textbooks/notes etc. as your bible for what you do or do not have to know - only use the study design for that! :)
You can download the new study design if you scroll to the bottom of this page. We've also published the new ATAR Notes books for Biology, and most other companies (Checkpoints, A+, etc.) will do so soon too if they haven't already. But old ones are absolutely useful so long as you're cautious about how you use them!

Hey, you mention that "there are some fairly big changes to the BIO SD" Could you explain what some of the major changes are? Thanks  :)
{Methods, Chemistry, Biology, English, French}