Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 07:05:47 pm

Author Topic: Get to know you series :) [CURRENTLY: Favourite Kitchen Appliance]  (Read 58424 times)  Share 

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
Re: Get to know you series :) [CURRENTLY: introducing yourself!]
« Reply #180 on: January 31, 2020, 01:57:40 pm »
+8
- I failed my L’s the first time. I just booked my Hazard Perception test and I have a feeling I’ll fail that too.
Of all the three test for driving (L's, Hazards, actual drive test) Hazards was probably the only one I wasn't too confident in. Be prepared for the graphics of the test to be super grainy (something like a 1990s video game) so you really need to look close to see if a car in front of you is breaking and also it can be difficult to make out road signs. The biggest mistake people make on this test is thinking that they need to click for every single question. There isn't always a hazard within the video.

Before you start you get 4 practice questions. These are important as they they are the only questions you will get feedback on directly after the question. Do this set of 4 questions at least twice and make sure you know exactly when to click - these questions can come up on the actual test.

From memory, the test has a question bank of 90 questions and they give you 28 so the difficulty can vary quite a bit. Of the 28 I would guess you don't need to click for around 25% of them.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2020, 01:59:24 pm by Sine »

r1ckworthy

• NSW MVP - 2019
  • HSC Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +305
« Reply #181 on: January 31, 2020, 02:43:47 pm »
+12
Here's a small list of things about me:

- I'm a huge film geek: not as much as I want to these days, but I'm definitely into filmmaking from directing to cinematography and stuff. I also hope to write and direct some short films in the next few years, maybe a feature film? Who knows!

- I'm also very passionate about healthcare being accessible to all walks of life. I feel that being raised in a privileged society we have a responsibility to serve those who are struggling and help them reach the level as we are if that makes sense. I hope to work in rural areas as a doctor in the future (at least for a period of time).

- I used to binge-watch study tube, which is basically high achievers taking you through their day and giving you tips on how to study. I think I watched most study tip videos, but I'm kinda over it now. Still watch it every now and then, especially medicine vlogs.

- I'm a huge fan of Rick and Morty, and I love season 4. People are hating on it, as the show creators have only released 5 episodes after a huge break, but every single episode is so detailed and complex that I understand why they took so much time.

- I also love Bojack Horseman, another TV show similar to Rick and Morty, but much more personal and character building. I won't talk about it too much, but everything after a few episodes of season 1 is great, I binged all of it in a few days ;D

Small edit: Clarified point #2 ;D
« Last Edit: January 31, 2020, 03:14:01 pm by r1ckworthy »
HSC 2019: English Advanced || Mathematics || Mathematics Extension 1 || Physics || Chemistry || Science Extension || Ancient History ||

Bachelor of Physiotherapy @ ACU

The Yr12 journey- a diary I "hope" to update... || Halfway through Year 12... lessons I've learned so far. || Check out my youtube channel!

Grace0702

• MOTM: OCT 19
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +32
« Reply #182 on: January 31, 2020, 03:12:06 pm »
+9
I'll join in and say a few things about myself

- I have an obsession with baking and I wish I had more time to do it. I made lemon macaroons last week for the first time and they turned out surprisingly good?! I also love reading the science behind it all, I find it fascinating how it all works and how technical it really is!

- My all time favourite show is Gravity Falls. My brother and I have been obsessed with it ever since we saw the first episode. We compare ourselves to the characters in the show and surprisingly relate a lot (although I am yet to get a pet pig :/). Also so sad that the show only got two seasons, it deserved so much more  :'(

- I have a need to follow through with a lot of things e.g. i'm still watching Riverdale even though the show has gotten ridiculously bad and the plot literally makes ZERO sense (lowkey want to see how bad it can actually get)

- I love staring into the night sky and wondering about the mysteries of the universe.
Oh yes I love the sky at night, it is so pretty, I could stare at the stars for hours upon hours

- I can quote select Disney movies line for line, and will bring random quotes for multiple Disney movies into conversation where possible

- Also I can make a noise that sounds exactly like the Predator from the movies  :P

« Last Edit: January 31, 2020, 03:14:51 pm by Grace0702 »
HSC 2019: Advanced Maths 92 || Standard English 89 || Physics 80 || Business Studies
95 || Information Processes and Technology 94 || Studies of Religion 1 45

ATAR: 96.05

2020: B Engineering/B Commerce @USYD

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Musical Theatre Tragic And Ultimate Pun Generator
  • Respect: +1026
« Reply #183 on: February 01, 2020, 10:00:21 am »
+4
- My all time favourite show is Gravity Falls. My brother and I have been obsessed with it ever since we saw the first episode. We compare ourselves to the characters in the show and surprisingly relate a lot (although I am yet to get a pet pig :/). Also so sad that the show only got two seasons, it deserved so much more  :'(

We have so much to talk about. How have you never brought this up before!!
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-
Bachelor of Music (Music Education) at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music

fun_jirachi

• MOTM: AUG 18
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • All doom and Gloom.
  • Respect: +710
« Reply #184 on: February 01, 2020, 12:04:17 pm »
+9
Time to join the hype train :)

- I'm a huge fan of Rick and Morty, and I love season 4. People are hating on it, as the show creators have only released 5 episodes after a huge break, but every single episode is so detailed and complex that I understand why they took so much time.

Fan here too :) Totally agree with all of this, I could honestly wait quite a long time for every episode because you can just rewatch it and dissect it over and over and still find new ideas every time. Probably one of the most complex shows I've seen - love it.

- I don't like big crowds. Loads of random people creep me out, and in general crowds of anything are just weird.

- Love Pokemon. It's just a huge thing with me - got a DS and Pokemon when I was 7 and never looked back. Ever since I couldn't keep up with consoles and newer games (latest game I own was released in 2012, on the Nintendo DS), I've sort of resorted to 'borrowing' off friends and cousins, and investing my focus elsewhere (online battle simulators, mobile games, Trading Card Game). The card game especially is a money drain, but totally worth it. Looking to get back into the games soon :)

- I like a lot of different sports and will play whatever with friends, but personal favourites are football and cricket. If there's a BBL or IPL game on somewhere or an international I'll always have an ESPN tab open tracking the scores and if something's on free to air TV I'll probably be watching it. Also a big Spurs fan, and I'll try and watch every game I possibly can even if they're at like 3am in the morning. It also doesn't have to be a Spurs game; could watch anything and still be fully interested - but Spurs is the one team I'll back all the way.

- I also enjoy wandering around aimlessly, I've walked for really long periods of time just deciding randomly where to go.
Spoiler
HSC 2018: Mod Hist [88] | 2U Maths [98]
HSC 2019: Physics [92] | Chemistry [93] | English Adv [87] | 3U Maths [98] | 4U Maths [97]
ATAR: 99.05

UCAT: 3310 - VR [740] | DM [890] | QR [880] | AR [800]
Guide Links:
Subject Acceleration (2018)
UCAT Question Compilation/FAQ (2020)
Asking good questions

whys

• VIC MVP - 2020
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +916
« Reply #185 on: February 12, 2020, 03:48:22 pm »
+6
Stumbled across this and honestly why not :D

- I love the lion king (all the movies). My all-time favourite. I know every single dialogue in the first and second movies by heart and I cry when Mufasa dies every single time. My mum always tells me that I watched that movie over a thousand times in my childhood (I watched it like every day lol).

- My previous (foster) dog is currently in the Nothern Territory working in the airport as a sniffer dog! *proud mum moments*

- My favourite tv show is Grey's Anatomy - it never gets old!

- I passed my driving test with exactly 78%

- I have never broken/fractured a bone/pulled a muscle (I didn't think this was a big deal until I found out that basically everyone had done one of those three things at least once before)

- My favourite book series is Sarah J Maas' Throne of Glass series - I own all the books and I love rereading the series!

- My favourite songs to listen to are those by Kehlani or Selena Gomez (closely followed by Tinashe :) )
psych [50] bio [50]
2021-2025: BMedSci/MD @ Monash

KatherineGale

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +92
« Reply #186 on: February 21, 2020, 07:27:25 pm »
+4
- I'm also very passionate about healthcare being accessible to all walks of life. I feel that being raised in a privileged society we have a responsibility to serve those who are struggling and help them reach the level as we are if that makes sense. I hope to work in rural areas as a doctor in the future (at least for a period of time).

That's awesome :) it's really great to see someone with similar aspirations to myself, although I do veer towards wanting to provide better healthcare for people, in particular children, with disabilities that serves to their overall health and quality of life,  rather than just the ailment they present with. (more specifically again, those with disabilities who are unable to access the healthcare they deserve - whether that's due to money, living rural etc.) You would make an amazing doctor if you do decide that's the path you want to take :)

r1ckworthy

• NSW MVP - 2019
  • HSC Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +305
« Reply #187 on: February 21, 2020, 09:10:26 pm »
+7
That's awesome :) it's great to see someone with similar aspirations to myself, although I do veer towards wanting to provide better healthcare for people, in particular children, with disabilities that serves to their overall health and quality of life,  rather than just the ailment they present with. (more specifically again, those with disabilities who are unable to access the healthcare they deserve - whether that's due to money, living rural etc.) You would make an amazing doctor if you do decide that's the path you want to take :)

That's amazing! I veer mostly towards the mental health aspect of medicine (at least right now), which deserves a lot more talk such as breaking down stigma and generally help people live a better life emotionally. I don't know much stuff on it, but I hope to research more about it in the future. It's great that you want to focus on disabilities- it's something I thought about here and there, I hope to delve into it much more in the future, as I have almost no knowledge of it right now ;D. How did you get to this aspiration?
HSC 2019: English Advanced || Mathematics || Mathematics Extension 1 || Physics || Chemistry || Science Extension || Ancient History ||

Bachelor of Physiotherapy @ ACU

The Yr12 journey- a diary I "hope" to update... || Halfway through Year 12... lessons I've learned so far. || Check out my youtube channel!

KatherineGale

• Trendsetter
« Reply #188 on: February 21, 2020, 10:44:07 pm »
+3
That's amazing! I veer mostly towards the mental health aspect of medicine (at least right now), which deserves a lot more talk such as breaking down stigma and generally help people live a better life emotionally. I don't know much stuff on it, but I hope to research more about it in the future. It's great that you want to focus on disabilities- it's something I thought about here and there, I hope to delve into it much more in the future, as I have almost no knowledge of it right now ;D. How did you get to this aspiration?

That's incredible. Mental health is so important. It's amazing (sorry that sounds insensitive - I just find it fascinating) and terrible the things your body does when your emotional health is poor, and also how your mental health and brain chemicals can be changed from having health issues. You're inner voice is a lot more important than people tend to think. I also would love to know more about this area - I'd be especially interested to see the mental health of people with intellectual disabilities and how that would play into it.

This is probably going to be a long explanation :) It's been a long journey haha

Well, when I was a lot younger, I was tossing up between being a vet and being a doctor (mum laughed it off as a phase haha). I've always been drawn to healthcare, bodily functions and dysfunctions fascinate me :) I was actually leaning more towards wanting to be a vet, because I figured animals would be better patients :) Then when I was 10, my father passed away from motor neuron disease. We'd had him at home for the entirety of his diseases progression (6 years)  - from slurring of speech, to needing a wheelchair, to being hoisted around and fed - and this was before anyone really knew what MND was. I was at the hospital with him before he passed and the doctor had no clue about MND. He was on the phone with a lot of other people trying to figure out how to treat my dad (and there was absolutely nothing he could do) but watching the doctor do everything in his power to help my dad and see him looking so defeated after my father passed,  really inspired me.

About six months later, my niece was born prematurely (at just 24 weeks). As you could probably imagine, she has a host of health issues -severe autism, nonverbal, epilepsy, brain injury from encephalitis, etc. I thought I had experience with people with disabilities after my dad, but it was a whole other ball game. And I realised how uneducated I had been about it. And then, over the many years of watching how other people treat her, I also realised how uneducated a lot of other people are about it - not to the fault of anyone, but even a lot of healthcare professionals out there just don't understand how to act around people with disabilities.

My niece also has eating problems - she doesn't understand that she has to eat, so if she doesn't feel like it or if she is stressed,  she just stops eating. She has the peg now, but she had used nasal feeding tubes before. I watched 2 nurses hold my niece down while she sobbed to try to get a nasal tube up her nose. Forty minutes later, my niece collapsed back in exhaustion - from the look of it, I would have said she passed out for a couple of moments. For hours afterwards, I thought to myself - this would never have happened to a child who could say no. If a child without the disabilities my niece has needed a feeding tube, but didn't want one, they would have tried (for a much shorter time than forty minutes - or at least have broken it up to give them a moment to catch their breath), but when that didn't work, they would have figured out another way - like possibly getting an anaesthetist in.

But it wasn't the nurses fault. They didn't know any better. How much time of their studies had been dedicated to treating people with disabilities? Not much. Which is silly, because people with disabilities would surely need to see doctors and nurses more often,  right? They do,  after all,  have more health issues than the average person. Unfortunately, because so many people are uneducated about disabilities, they also don't see that more education would fix a lot of issues and get these people better healthcare.

To be honest,  after going through all that, I don't think I had much choice in my direction in life haha.

I must note though, I have met a number of healthcare professionals - mainly through my niece - that have absolutely understood how to treat my niece and their other patients with disabilities in a respective and effective manner. They have further inspired and taught me the kind of care that unfortunately many people with disabilities don't get access to.

Sorry to rant - I get a little too passionate about this subject hahaha :)

KatherineGale

• Trendsetter
« Reply #189 on: February 21, 2020, 10:59:04 pm »
+4
Whilst I'm on this thread:

-I can't write anything without it ending up being an essay in length. I don't mean to. I really don't :)

-I secretly love really bogan music, like the stuff with the heavy Aussie accent. It's bloody hilarious.

-I write books, but I'll never tell you more than that. If I ever do publish, it'll be under a different name haha.

-I grew up in a haunted house.

-I love Chinese food so much that I genuinely think it will be cheaper for me long term to just invest in a restaurant in exchange for free food.

-I am probably one of the most contradictory people I know - I love rap music and classical, I am strictly logical and believe ghosts exist (though not the way most people see them - it's just energy) etc. I don't even understand myself :)

-This is probably one of my shortest posts.

-Oh, and I have really long hair (almost past my bum) but it's no where near the length I want it. I won't stop until it's a little under the back of my knees.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2020, 11:03:14 pm by KatherineGale »

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
« Reply #190 on: February 21, 2020, 11:21:11 pm »
+4
I am probably one of the most contradictory people I know - I love rap music and classical.
Why do you think this is contradictory?  :)

Maybe knowing your favourites from each genre will give more context haha

Music is becoming more and more genreless and at least from my experience it definitely isn't uncommon for someone to appreciate the best from many "genres".

KatherineGale

• Trendsetter
« Reply #191 on: February 21, 2020, 11:51:21 pm »
+1
Why do you think this is contradictory?  :)

Haha, it's less that I think they're contradictory, than they tend to be placed in those categories. As you said though, it's happening a lot less nowadays.

I mean, I love 2016 Golden Era Records Cypher https://youtu.be/alPNKJ3IXxM and also Tchaikovsky's Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy, so... :)
(Also, is it just me or would dance of the sugar plum fairy be the perfect music for a horror scene starring giant spiders terrorising people?)

I'm so glad I found Hilltop Hoods - their restrung album had rap to a classically inspired backdrop and they're my staple songs. I think they actually used a choir when they went touring with that album, which would have been amazing live. So, they, like you said, blur the lines between genres.

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
« Reply #192 on: February 22, 2020, 11:01:52 am »
+1
Haha, it's less that I think they're contradictory, than they tend to be placed in those categories. As you said though, it's happening a lot less nowadays.

I mean, I love 2016 Golden Era Records Cypher https://youtu.be/alPNKJ3IXxM and also Tchaikovsky's Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy, so... :)
(Also, is it just me or would dance of the sugar plum fairy be the perfect music for a horror scene starring giant spiders terrorising people?)

I'm so glad I found Hilltop Hoods - their restrung album had rap to a classically inspired backdrop and they're my staple songs. I think they actually used a choir when they went touring with that album, which would have been amazing live. So, they, like you said, blur the lines between genres.

fair enough... I agree that with casual music listener's and anyone not properly exposed to each "genre" may still hold those sort of views haha

SanchaTheSeeker

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +10
« Reply #193 on: April 18, 2020, 06:36:07 pm »
+4
Extracurriculars
I currently do Venturer Scouts, however I used to also swim, do Karate, and was part of the Australian Air League. Not sure if it’s an extra-curricular but I like riding trains and planning events
What I want to be when I grow up
When I was younger, I wanted to be a teacher because I wanted to inspire kids. I also wanted to be a paramedic and an ER nurse because I was interested in the medical field and I really enjoy helping others. Now, I really want to work in the commuter rail industry and implement a better rail system
Fears
Loud noises, people scaring me, any sort of exotic food
Thoughts about politics
Not really into it, it’s confusing for me and I don’t like causing debates with people that have different views
Favourite type of weather? Least favourite? Why
Favourite: Sunny days but not too hot, it’s the perfect weather to go outside
Least favourite: Thunderstorm, I’d be soaked in 5 minutes
Favourite day ever
31st March 2019 because I got to attend an event with Scouts and I got to do what I really love – ride trains and plan things. I also met some amazing friends
Favourite TV show
I never watched TV growing up, wasn’t exposed to it besides watching the footy with my siblings. Now, I like Jonah from Tonga or we can be heroes (Chris Lilley!)
What's an activity/endeavour you've always wanted to pursue, but haven't?
Drive a train
As a rule, what's your favourite day of the week? Why?
Wednesdays. It’s the middle of the week
Favourite quote?
“Our life is a constant journey, from birth to death. The landscape changes, the people change, our needs change, but the train keeps moving. Life is the train, not the station.” -Paulo Coelho
I like trains, but I really like the quote because it means that we should keep moving on from hardships and things will pass, whether they’re good or bad

“Our life is a constant journey, from birth to death. The landscape changes, the people change, our needs change, but the train keeps moving. Life is the train, not the station.”

― Paulo Coelho

Train nerd, Venturer Scout, and JMSS hoomun

JMSS guide: https://atarnotes.com/forum/index.php?topic=189547

ig: @sfaunncgha

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #194 on: May 05, 2020, 04:22:50 pm »
+4
PROMPT: If you could give yourself at the start of the year advice based on what you know now, what would it be?

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.