Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 09:17:44 pm

Author Topic: How do the markers mark the BOW?  (Read 1535 times)  Share 

dcesaona

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +24
How do the markers mark the BOW?
« on: April 23, 2018, 06:17:49 pm »
Hey there. I realise that my BOW is kind of conceptually abstract in a way - my painting is a rundown building painted in darkness - but I'm obviously trying to portray the deeper idea of the rarities of my city and how although its 'ugliest' buildings are treated as 'outcasts' they can also be beautiful - by painting them at night it kind of heightens when they are most impactful to me. But, of course when the markers look at my painting that is not the idea that they are going to get. So how do they mark BOWs if so many of the concepts are lost in the painting?? Will I get marked down if they can't understand my concept and my intentions behind my work?

Thanks so much!  :)
2018 HSC

dancing phalanges

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +312
Re: How do the markers mark the BOW?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2018, 11:53:14 pm »
+2
Hey there. I realise that my BOW is kind of conceptually abstract in a way - my painting is a rundown building painted in darkness - but I'm obviously trying to portray the deeper idea of the rarities of my city and how although its 'ugliest' buildings are treated as 'outcasts' they can also be beautiful - by painting them at night it kind of heightens when they are most impactful to me. But, of course when the markers look at my painting that is not the idea that they are going to get. So how do they mark BOWs if so many of the concepts are lost in the painting?? Will I get marked down if they can't understand my concept and my intentions behind my work?

This might help you :) It gives you an idea of how markers look at both technical precision and conceptual strength and they are quite good at picking up subtle concepts like yours! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szx4Pin14QQ
HSC 2017 (ATAR 98.95) - English Advanced (94), English Extension 1 (48), Modern History (94), Studies of Religion 1 (48), Visual Arts (95), French Continuers (92)

Download our free discovery trial paper!

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Musical Theatre Tragic And Ultimate Pun Generator
  • Respect: +1026
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2018, 10:39:06 am »
+2

Hey, there!

I think this is my concern too because I have an abstract work as well that looks at nature but I think the Artist's Statement will cover most of what you wish to convey in your BOW for your marker to extract meaning from it  ;D

Angelina
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-
Bachelor of Music (Music Education) at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1566
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2018, 02:20:20 pm »
+1
Hey!

Just adding onto dancing phalanges and Angelina’s fantastic answers above, from what I’ve heard from my art teachers (experienced HSC markers) that in the marking process, one marker would lay out the work and then try decipher to meaning without looking at the title or the artist’s statement. The markers are super experienced and have seen countless of works that theyre bound to dig through the many layers of meaning within your work. Once they’re done marking the work on their own, they discuss it with another marker. However, the markers have your VAPD as well so they can always check it out.

Hope this helps :)
Which will hold greater rule over you? Your fear or your curiosity?

Please note that I am no longer active on the forums.
If you need any assistance, please message an admin or a natmod instead.