Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 24, 2024, 04:07:37 am

Author Topic: SEAs help ???  (Read 1784 times)  Share 

Genshai

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +11
SEAs help ???
« on: July 18, 2020, 09:44:09 pm »
Hi AN !

I hope this is the right place to post this, but at my school we haven't had any help with anything related to VTAC (preferences, careers, seas etc). I have a general idea of what SEAs is, and I think I qualify for at least one category, but I've heard the applications are over. Is this true? and if so, is there anyway to send in late applications?
On the off chance I can still apply, how does this work?

Also, should I be worried that my school hasn't even mentioned any of this? or is this something that should be like, individual research? I think preferences are coming up, but no one has spoken to us.

Sorry, this is kind of all over the place - just another stressed yr 12 :(
2019: Biology [40]
2020: English [35], Methods [27], Art [36], Revs [38], Chem [29]

ATAR: 87.85

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +2877
Re: SEAs help ???
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2020, 11:07:14 pm »
+5
Here's a link to the VTAC website which gives you a pretty good run down of SEAS:
http://www.vtac.edu.au/who/seas.html

It says for 2020 applications don't open until the 3rd of August and close in October, so you haven't missed out!
When you apply, you do it on the VTAC website and from memory you select which categories of SEAS you're applying for and give any relevant info - might be info on where you live (category 1), financial stuff (category 2) or impact statements about how a condition or event has impacted you (categories 3 and 4).

I recommend having a thorough read through the VTAC website - all the relevant info is there :)

Genshai

• Trailblazer
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2020, 10:12:22 am »
Here's a link to the VTAC website which gives you a pretty good run down of SEAS:
http://www.vtac.edu.au/who/seas.html

It says for 2020 applications don't open until the 3rd of August and close in October, so you haven't missed out!
When you apply, you do it on the VTAC website and from memory you select which categories of SEAS you're applying for and give any relevant info - might be info on where you live (category 1), financial stuff (category 2) or impact statements about how a condition or event has impacted you (categories 3 and 4).

I recommend having a thorough read through the VTAC website - all the relevant info is there :)

Thank you !!

AngelWings

• ATAR Notes Superstar
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
  • Respect: +1425
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2020, 11:57:09 am »
+7
It’s exactly as K888 said. You haven’t missed it; I think the ones you were thinking about that passed were the mid-year applications for those who wanted to start higher education in Semester 2 2020, which isn’t you seeing as you’re hoping to apply for 2021 at the earliest (I assume you’re in year 12 right now).

In a normal year, the information starts to show up around late July/ August and schools typically inform you of this stuff at the end of July or early August when VTAC applications open. Due to COVID-19, this process might be delayed a bit, although I’m not sure when. Either way, I wouldn’t panic too much right now. Instead, you can read up on SEAS and what sorts of preferences you like (I think it’s 8 preferences still) to prepare for when VTAC is open for applications. If you need help picking courses, have a look at the Virtual Uni Events link in my signature.
VCE: Psych | Eng Lang | LOTE | Methods | Further | Chem                 
Uni: Bachelor of Science (Hons) - genetics
Current: working (sporadically on AN)
VTAC Info Thread

Genshai

• Trailblazer
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2020, 02:51:47 pm »
It’s exactly as K888 said. You haven’t missed it; I think the ones you were thinking about that passed were the mid-year applications for those who wanted to start higher education in Semester 2 2020, which isn’t you seeing as you’re hoping to apply for 2021 at the earliest (I assume you’re in year 12 right now).

In a normal year, the information starts to show up around late July/ August and schools typically inform you of this stuff at the end of July or early August when VTAC applications open. Due to COVID-19, this process might be delayed a bit, although I’m not sure when. Either way, I wouldn’t panic too much right now. Instead, you can read up on SEAS and what sorts of preferences you like (I think it’s 8 preferences still) to prepare for when VTAC is open for applications. If you need help picking courses, have a look at the Virtual Uni Events link in my signature.

Thank you, that's reassuring ! I'll be sure to look into to it :)

ThunderDragon

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +110
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2020, 09:46:19 am »
Hey

Does anyone know what ''You're parents getting Centrelink benefits under Category 2 '' count as Low, Medium-Low, Medium, Medium-High or High for Financial Disadvantage on the Monash SEAS Calculator?
2019 - Geography [41]
2020 - English, Methods, Chem, Bio and Psych [39]
2021 - 2023 Bachelor of Science at Monash

ThunderDragon's Journey to Med

Currently offering tutoring in 3/4 Psychology for 2022. PM if interested!

The Cat In The Hat

• MOTM: NOV 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Do all to the glory of God. - 1 Corinthians 10:31
  • Respect: +344
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2020, 10:49:45 am »
Hey

Does anyone know what ''You're parents getting Centrelink benefits under Category 2 '' count as Low, Medium-Low, Medium, Medium-High or High for Financial Disadvantage on the Monash SEAS Calculator?
Surely there should be somewhere that says all these things? I mean I don't know, but surely?
VCE 20
HHD MM Revs (F/R) Eng T&T
ATAR 85
Uni 21-24: BNursing/BMidwifery @ Deakin
Y1T2:
HNM102
HNN122 (double)
HNN114
I hope I don't fail....
Listens to Amira Willighagen and Alma Deutscher and a little Marjolein Acke
~English - PM for P&P/creatives help~
Creative excerpts
Nur/Mid uni journal

For Narnia and for Aslan!

she/her

Basically inactive now. May change. Have a nice day.

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2020, 11:06:12 am »
+2
Hey

I think part b family tax benefit (is this what you're referring to?) would not contribute to the financial disadvantage scale. (i.e. your parents receiving this would not be considered evidence of financial disadvantage).

Note that here part a is specified as financial disadvantage but part b isn't.

Surely there should be somewhere that says all these things? I mean I don't know, but surely?

Makes sense but often this stuff is intentionally left vague since there's a wide range of things that could be considered. Sometimes a google with the specific term and SEAS will turn up something though :)

ThunderDragon

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +110
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2020, 11:52:41 am »
I think part b family tax benefit (is this what you're referring to?) would not contribute to the financial disadvantage scale. (i.e. your parents receiving this would not be considered evidence of financial disadvantage).

Note that here part a is specified as financial disadvantage but part b isn't.

Makes sense but often this stuff is intentionally left vague since there's a wide range of things that could be considered. Sometimes a google with the specific term and SEAS will turn up something though :)
Oh I mean Part A family tax benefit and Health Card
2019 - Geography [41]
2020 - English, Methods, Chem, Bio and Psych [39]
2021 - 2023 Bachelor of Science at Monash

ThunderDragon's Journey to Med

Currently offering tutoring in 3/4 Psychology for 2022. PM if interested!

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2020, 03:04:42 pm »
+1
Oh I mean Part A family tax benefit and Health Card

Part A and Health Care Card both get counted by Monash as evidence of financial disadvantage (and iirc are generally considered by other unis too); my guess is that where on the scale would depend how close your parents are to the threshold since Monash will require you to provide your combined family income to get SEAS from this.