Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 12:16:05 pm

Author Topic: Joel's VCE journal  (Read 8135 times)

pepper77

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +24
Re: Joel's VCE journal
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2018, 06:22:12 pm »
+3
Good luck with your exam! Auslan sounds like it'd be fun to learn. That eggxam, though... Yikes. :o

I don't know if I agree with you on the Pericles thing. Supposedly after he died, his successors were pretty useless and ended up seriously destabilising Athens by being way too aggressive in war (bye bye golden age of Greece!). And that went on for 20-odd years - seems pretty detrimental to me! If they mark you down I'd be surprised. disclaimer: I don't actually do any history subjects, I just like reading about it

DogBlackTheBlackDog

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +22
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2018, 08:37:18 pm »
+6
So my auslan exam just finished! omg I am actually so relieved. I’ve both dreaded and looked forward to this day if that makes sense, and now I’m just so thankful it’s over

I won’t go into the details, since I doubt anyone reading this actually does auslan, but I think overall I did pretty well. I was really nervous when they were playing the video and missed out on some information but generally it went alright. When I finally stepped outside it felt so liberating. Throughout the entire car ride home I couldn’t stop smiling ,  i had done my very first VCE exam!

One down, one more to go! now I can focus all of my time and energy onto ancient. (starting tomorrow, tonight I’ll be enjoying life.)

Good luck with your exam! Auslan sounds like it'd be fun to learn. That eggxam, though... Yikes. :o

I don't know if I agree with you on the Pericles thing. Supposedly after he died, his successors were pretty useless and ended up seriously destabilising Athens by being way too aggressive in war (bye bye golden age of Greece!). And that went on for 20-odd years - seems pretty detrimental to me! If they mark you down I'd be surprised. disclaimer: I don't actually do any history subjects, I just like reading about it
thank you! I did get marked down for it but i didn't argue it like you did. thanks for the suggestions!
2018 - Ancient History [36], Auslan [28]
2019 - English [37], Further [45], Food Studies [41], Chemistry [32], Physical Education [40]

2020 - Bachelor of Nutrition Science (scholars program) @ Monash

DogBlackTheBlackDog

• Trailblazer
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2018, 06:33:38 pm »
+8
Hey everyone! I'm only about two days late, but EXAMS ARE OVER!!! (for now)

I had my final 3/4 exam this year on Friday, which was for ancient. To be honest, I thought the exam went horribly. Two points which I had spent hours studying the night before did not come up on the exam, so in the end for both of my essays were filled with filler words. However I thought the source analysis questions went alot better. I'm feeling fairly confident about them. Lets not talk about the essays lol.

So now that all my 3/4 subjects are done, I guess it's time to start working on my 3/4s for next year. Ive got an update on my subjects. I've decided to drop revolutions in year 12. funny how before that was one of the subjects I didn't want to drop. But I've decided that doing two essay-heavy subjects are enough. Ancient pretty much killed my hand this year, and no doubt english will be like that next year. So I've decided that revs gotta go.

I'm planning to start working on next year's stuff in december, so i've got the rest of this month of relax. I just hope i don't get too relaxed or it'll be hard for me to get back into study mode.

I've also had a go at study score predictions - if theyre correct (probably not...) then these are the scores i'm looking at:
auslan - 34-37 raw
ancient - 32-35 raw (29-32 scaled)
Although I'm not sure how accurate they are considering the system I used to work out these predictions are only for subjects with over 1000 students, and both have under 500.

That's all from me today. See you all on december 14th!
2019 - English [37], Further [45], Food Studies [41], Chemistry [32], Physical Education [40]

DogBlackTheBlackDog

• Trailblazer
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2019, 04:41:50 pm »
+6
See you all on december 14th!
only about a month late. good job me.

that awkward moment when you haven't posted in so long you get one of those "please start a new topic" warnings.

Happy new year everyone. i know this is a super late update considering its been nearly a month since results came out. i avoided atar notes and any other form of results discussion for weeks because of how utterly disappointed and ashamed i was with mine. I was hoping for something in the high 30s for both subjects. I was nowhere close.

For ancient I got a raw 36. not what i was hoping for but it wasn't bad. Auslan was much, much worse. I didn't even get a 30.

When I had expected a 38 but saw, to my horror and disbelief, a raw 28 instead, I just mentally blanked out. i thought there's no way i'd get below 30. I was unable to digest the fact that these are now my study sores and there's nothing i can do to change that. My hope at an 80 atar evaporated.
Don't ask me how I ended up doing better in ancient than auslan when i've been speaking using auslan my entire life and only ended up in ancient because my first choice of 3/4 didn't run.

after asking around I found that auslan doesn't really scale (remains a 28) however ancient goes back down to a 32. So i got a 29 and a 32. great.  thanks a lot vcaa, for taking four crucial. points away from my aggregate.

This is where i end my 2018 results discussion. I guess i still have this year to potentially change everything around.

I dont think i've posted it on here, but it's now in my signature - my goal is an atar of 80 for nutrition at monash. the min atar is actually 75, and I think i qualify for monash guarrantee as i go to an under represented school. But idk, I want to be safe, and also 80 sounds nicer.

My 2019 goals are:
 > food - 45
 > maths - 37
 > chem - 35
 > english - above 25 PLEASE otherwise i cant get into anything
 > atar - 80 (seems unlikely right now)

Lets hope 2019 goes alot better. Good luck everyone.

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2019, 05:05:06 pm »
+7
Happy new year to you too!

I'm sorry that you got results lower than what you were expecting and hoping for; it's always hard when you're disappointed in yourself. As much as I wish you didn't feel ashamed of your results I understand the feeling; please know that the rest of us aren't ashamed of you and remember that your scores in 2018 don't define 2019.

Good luck to you too - I hope that you're able to take this experience and use it to help you excel in your remaining subjects

DogBlackTheBlackDog

• Trailblazer
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2019, 02:09:11 am »
Happy new year to you too!

I'm sorry that you got results lower than what you were expecting and hoping for; it's always hard when you're disappointed in yourself. As much as I wish you didn't feel ashamed of your results I understand the feeling; please know that the rest of us aren't ashamed of you and remember that your scores in 2018 don't define 2019.

Good luck to you too - I hope that you're able to take this experience and use it to help you excel in your remaining subjects

Thank you miniturtle for your very encouraging message. will definitely try to keep everything in mind this year and hopefully my experiences last year will help me do better this time round.

t.tsagarakis

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2019, 10:31:09 am »
+8
hey, so i dont really do this type of thing much but anyways. I'm sorry that your study scores were lower than you were hoping for last year, i did a subject in yr 11 as well last year and my study score wasn't what i had hoped for either. But i just wanted to say to keep your head up !! you seem like you have the right motivation and mindset to really smash out year 12 this year.  Anyways best of luck for 2019 :)

DogBlackTheBlackDog

• Trailblazer
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2019, 12:38:23 pm »
+9
Well well hello there, it's been a while, hasn't it?

I completely forgot about this journal until a few days ago when I stumbled upon an atar notes article on uni open days. Seeing that we have less than 24 hours until we can register for our uni course preferences, I figured, why not come back and do an update?

In terms of school, it's been a bumpy ride. I failed both my unit 3 chem sacs, though thankfully narrowly passed on the redemption. My socially awkward ass also almost failed the English oral. Further and food are going smoothly though, I'm currently sitting at rank 1 for food and top 5 for further.

Another update-worthy thing is I picked up a new subject at the start of the year to make up for my atrocious score in auslan - I am also doing physical education 3/4 and I'm doing well despite not doing it in yr11.

For open days, I'll be heading to monash, deakin, and acu. I've been to acu open day before, but this will be my first time at monash and deakin.

My vtac preferences:
1 - Nutrition Science - Scholars Program (Dietetics), Monash
2 - Nutritrion Science, Monash
3 - Health Science, Monash
4 - Nutrition Science, Deakin
5 - Nutrition Science, ACU
6 - Nursing + Business, ACU
7 - Nursing, ACU
8 - Exercise + Sport Science, ACU

My first pref requires a min 90 atar which is a bit out of reach. But hopefully those uni open days will give me enough motivation to work my ass off until november.

Less than 100 days to go! Good luck to everyone ;D

caffinatedloz

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +856
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2019, 05:12:07 pm »
+4
Hi Joel!
Super excited to see an update on this journal. I would love to do Auslan as a VCE subject, but am making do with community classes at present! Congratulations on how well you are doing in food tech! ;D ;D Do you prefer to cook savoury or sweet? Also, how did you find Monash's open day?

laura :)

DogBlackTheBlackDog

• Trailblazer
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2019, 02:48:31 pm »
Hi Joel!
Super excited to see an update on this journal. I would love to do Auslan as a VCE subject, but am making do with community classes at present! Congratulations on how well you are doing in food tech! ;D ;D Do you prefer to cook savoury or sweet? Also, how did you find Monash's open day?

laura :)
Hi Laura, I poked around the auslan threads and was really excited by all the activity you're bringing to it as it's been dead for so long. What interests you about auslan?
I'm definitely a savoury-over-sweet person. And monash open day was a cool experience. I actually went to the caulfield campus first to check out health science, followed by clayton where I got incredibly lost due to the size of the campus.

caffinatedloz

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +856
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2019, 03:29:07 pm »
+1
Hi Laura, I poked around the auslan threads and was really excited by all the activity you're bringing to it as it's been dead for so long. What interests you about auslan?
I'm definitely a savoury-over-sweet person. And monash open day was a cool experience. I actually went to the caulfield campus first to check out health science, followed by clayton where I got incredibly lost due to the size of the campus.

I really enjoy Auslan, and I find it a lot easier to learn than any other language. I really want to become an OT or Speechie so that is one reason for learning Auslan. At present, I work with children who use Auslan or key signing which is why I originally learnt. What about you? Is it offered at your school or do you do it through VCD?

I am the complete opposite: sweets all the way. And I got very lost at Open Day too, (though I wasn't at Monash).

DogBlackTheBlackDog

• Trailblazer
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2019, 09:15:19 pm »
+5
I really enjoy Auslan, and I find it a lot easier to learn than any other language. I really want to become an OT or Speechie so that is one reason for learning Auslan. At present, I work with children who use Auslan or key signing which is why I originally learnt. What about you? Is it offered at your school or do you do it through VCD?

I am the complete opposite: sweets all the way. And I got very lost at Open Day too, (though I wasn't at Monash).
That's really cool. I don't see alot of people who are interested in auslan. I was kind of born into it as most members of my family are deaf or partially deaf so we all use auslan at home. I did auslan through vcd.

I personally didn't like doing auslan for vce as you were pretty much being tested on how you answer the question most of the time rather than your understanding. I reckon thats with most - if not all - lotes in general. The examiners at vcaa push for rote learning and memorising rather than fully understanding. But thats just my little rant haha.

If you are planning on doing auslan you might have a different experience though. Definitely try it out, it's cool that you're so interested in it.