Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 11:08:44 pm

Author Topic: 2020 Mod applications now open!  (Read 3627 times)

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
2020 Mod applications now open!
« on: November 04, 2020, 11:45:48 am »
+23
Want to be our next moderator? Click here!
Applications close Monday 30 November.

I'm incredibly excited to announce that we're now taking applications to be a Moderator! Mods are crucial to the functioning of the ATARnotes community - in some ways that are highly visible and some others that are less so. Before we dive into that, here's some of the benefits of becoming a mod:

✅ Get involved with AN behind the scenes, and really significantly help forge the direction of ATAR Notes in the future
✅ Can lead to other, also brilliant, opportunities - see here E.g. I'm now an author and have lectured for AN
✅ Help improve the education of thousands of students (yes, thousands is right)
✅ Amazing banter in hidden sections of the forums
✅ Looks fantastic on résumés/LinkedIn

Continuing on:

Should I apply?
Absolutely! There's no rule where you can only apply if you have a certain number of posts, or have been on ATAR Notes for a certain period of time. However, we do expect state moderators to have shown a reasonable level of activity and contributions in the past - feel free to apply if you're unsure and we'll make the call. We're looking for people who can take their allocated boards to the next level. People who are happy to lead and be innovative. People who are passionate about ATAR Notes

You don't need to have graduated. In fact, there's no restriction on year level. A lot of moderators are in uni atm but having some more diversity in there would be good. If you're passionate about it, apply!

Additionally, scores aren't that important. If you want to help out in a subject board it's useful to know the content, syllabus etc. well and a study score is one way of showing that but there's more to being a mod than just answering subject questions. For example, part of being a mod is about being adaptable and helping shape the direction of the community. The important thing isn't whether you got/get a <30 ATAR, it's about how you contribute to the community. 

What are the responsibilities?
Jamon wrote this about responsibilities for new mods & it's very accurate so go check that out :)

For a more metaphorical description, I once wrote this:
Quote from: Bri MT date=14.12.2018
Our job as moderators is not to reach the grandest destinations but to provide support during the journey. We've all got our different approaches: some say "here's how you read the map, this is where you're at" (technical score discussion), same say "this is where you could aim for" (uni and admissions advice), some say "for this section, you might want to take this path, pack your bag this way" (subject and studying advice), some say "I'll bring you some distraction and levity" (games and casual chat), and many more. We take on a combination of different roles

Is secret mod banter really good enough to be a benefit?
Absolutely - you should go find out for yourself ;)

When's the deadline?
Applications close at the end of November - 30th November exactly. This is because we wanted to be able to give people plenty of time (especially with exams) and also be able to get back with the results before next year.

Are you looking for a certain number of moderators?
No; we'll assess each application on a case-by-case basis. We're not going to say "we need two more!" or "we need ten more!" because that would be restrictive. We are conscious of not overloading the forums with too many mods but we haven't set a max or min.   

What if I don't get in?
We encourage applications from lots of people - and you should absolutely apply and part of this also means that each year some people who apply won't get in. If you don't get in that doesn't mean we dislike you or that you aren't a valuable user, it just means that at that point in time the decision was that the role wouldn't be a good fit for you. This does not mean we don't see mod potential in you, but although there is no cap on numbers, we can't mod everyone. I would encourage people to take a mindset of being able to apply in future years if you don't get it now - so you may as well try now, right?

Know somebody who you think would be perfect for the role?
Give them a shout-out in this thread! Please also use this thread to ask any questions about the process - we will certainly be happy to help provide some clarity :D

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
Re: 2020 Mod applications now open!
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2020, 11:53:40 am »
+15
Excited to see the applications this year  ;D

If you think someone would be great in these roles please drop their name below.

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2020, 03:10:01 pm »
+20
To reiterate something I said last year, getting more involved with AN was one of the best things I've ever done - not only for self-satisfaction, but also things that it led to. I was really hesitant about the idea of moderating on AN at first, but am so glad I pursued it.

I guess this post is just to encourage anybody interested to apply, irrespective of whether or not you've applied before or how many posts you have made or where you're from.

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2020, 03:25:19 pm »
+14
Just a cheeky bump for those who haven't yet seen the OP. :) Applications close in two weeks.

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

The Cat In The Hat

• MOTM: NOV 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Do all to the glory of God. - 1 Corinthians 10:31
  • Respect: +344
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2020, 05:31:12 pm »
+13
Can I nominate Coolgalbornin03Lo? (Think I got that username correct...) Seems to me said user would be a good mod! :D
VCE 20
HHD MM Revs (F/R) Eng T&T
ATAR 85
Uni 21-24: BNursing/BMidwifery @ Deakin
Y1T2:
HNM102
HNN122 (double)
HNN114
I hope I don't fail....
Listens to Amira Willighagen and Alma Deutscher and a little Marjolein Acke
~English - PM for P&P/creatives help~
Creative excerpts
Nur/Mid uni journal

For Narnia and for Aslan!

she/her

Basically inactive now. May change. Have a nice day.

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2020, 06:53:31 pm »
+10
Can I nominate Coolgalbornin03Lo? (Think I got that username correct...) Seems to me said user would be a good mod! :D

Absolutely! You can nominate anyone you believe would be a good mod

Thank you making a suggestion :)

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • They/them/theirs
  • Respect: +3102
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2020, 05:27:53 pm »
+10
Bump! Applications close in 10 days.
Loving the applications that have come in so far and I'm keen to see some more. Please do apply if you're interested - I remember it being a bit intimidating back when I applied but definitely worth it :)
2019: B. Environment and Sustainability/B. Science @ ANU
2020: Just Vibing
2021: B. Paramedicine/B. Nursing @ ACU Canberra

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2020, 06:51:55 pm »
+7
Less than a week to go and more people are finishing up exams.

Been some great applications & there are also people who I know would be able to put together a great application and haven't applied.

sweetiepi

• National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "A Bit of Chaos" (she/they)
  • Respect: +3589
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2020, 05:20:04 pm »
+7
A cheeky bump to remind y'all that applications close on Monday! 🥰

I encourage you all to apply for this definitely amazing opportunity! ❤
2017-2019: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Formulation Science)
2020: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Honours) Read my uni journey here!

AngelWings

• Victorian Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
  • Respect: +1425
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2020, 03:40:44 pm »
+10
Second last day to apply!

✅ Looks fantastic on résumés/LinkedIn
Being a mod has its benefits! Case in point: When I was looking into full time science/ health jobs, my mod position (and one of the side effects of being a mod) was something that I mentioned in my job interview. I later got the job. In fairness, I had one other weakly related job before it, but used my skills and knowledge obtained from being a mod here to tip the scales in my favour.
VCE: Psych | Eng Lang | LOTE | Methods | Further | Chem                 
Uni: Bachelor of Science (Hons) - genetics
Current: working (sporadically on AN)
VTAC Info Thread

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2020, 02:09:56 pm »
+8
Less than 12 hours until we close the form! If you have any questions please feel free to reply or send a message :)

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2020, 12:24:56 pm »
+11
Updating this to say applications are now closed for 2020. Thank you to everyone who has applied, there have been many great candidates and applications. Hopefully, we can give each applicant an update soon :)

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2020, 12:57:56 pm »
+7
Update for those who applied: Thank you for your patience! We are still in the process of assessing the applications but are aiming to get back to you shortly :)