Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 12:40:27 am

Author Topic: Referencing media articles/stats/cases in an essay  (Read 693 times)  Share 

impulsebro89

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +2
Referencing media articles/stats/cases in an essay
« on: September 26, 2018, 09:05:45 pm »
Hello everyone, I just have some questions on the legal essay:
1. When referencing media articles in a legal essay do you have to refer to the specific title and date of the article or can you just say 'as shown in this Sydney Morning Herald article...' blah blah. Also, whenever I use media articles I always veer towards saying 'as this SMH article suggests, hung juries are bad' etc. Is it a bad idea to say something along the lines of 'there was a public outcry at the decision as shown in a SMH article' and leave it there?
2. When referencing BOCSAR stats or anything do you need the specific name and date of the report?
3. When referencing a case in the essay is it alright to simply say for example 'in the case of John Citizen (2014)' without the 'R v Citizen' part if you can't find the actual case name for it?

I'm just worried that the HSC markers might look at media/cases/stats without a date or title with it and think that the student just made it up on the spot, as without the date and name and stuff it looks reeeeaaallllly fishy  :P

Thanks
HSC 2018
l English Advanced (88) l 2U Maths (95) l 3U Maths (45) l Physics (90) l Chemistry (88) l Legal Studies (91) l

ATAR: 97.00

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Im Moment studiere ich kein Deutsch :-(
  • Respect: +864
Re: Referencing media articles/stats/cases in an essay
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2018, 09:29:45 pm »
+2
Hi!

1. I used to do a "The SMH article (insert title) from (insert date) suggests that..." You should show the article is a reputable source and it looks better like that anyways because it shows you've remembered a great piece of evidence hahaha. I don't think it's a bad idea to write what's in your example -- as long as it makes sense and contributes to your argument :-)
2. No, I don't think so. I never did -- would love to hear from others about this!
3. Yep, that's all good!

No one's checking if cases are made up hahaha, as long as it sounds legit it's okay. :-)
HSC 2017: English (Standard) // Mathematics // Modern History // Legal Studies // Business Studies
2018-2022: B International Studies/B Media (PR & Advertising) @ UNSW

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2018, 09:33:51 pm »
+1
2. When referencing BOCSAR stats or anything do you need the specific name and date of the report?

2. No, I don't think so. I never did -- would love to hear from others about this!

I did for one or two of mine! But usually I didn't - Including it is cool if you can but don't stress it ;D

No one's checking if cases are made up hahaha, as long as it sounds legit it's okay. :-)

They aren't specifically checking, but markers are good at spotting made up stuff, especially if you do it consistently. And once they've caught on that you're bullshitting that sucks a whole lot of validity from your essay, even subconsciously - Be careful! :)

impulsebro89

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2018, 09:43:14 am »
Alright cool thanks for the replies :)
HSC 2018
l English Advanced (88) l 2U Maths (95) l 3U Maths (45) l Physics (90) l Chemistry (88) l Legal Studies (91) l

ATAR: 97.00