Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 24, 2024, 06:07:55 pm

Author Topic: Same-sex Relationships as of 2018  (Read 2096 times)  Share 

felicity_bry

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Same-sex Relationships as of 2018
« on: May 22, 2018, 01:40:58 pm »
 Hi friends,

I have an essay that asks "To what extent has law reform achieved just outcomes for those in same-sex relationships?". I was just wondering if anyone would be able to help me out since it's such a contemporary topic! i have no idea where to start.

Thanks in advanced :)

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
Re: Same-sex Relationships as of 2018
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2018, 02:50:18 pm »
(Haven't done legal)

But... I would consider looking at different forms of relationships (eg. Marriage, defacto ) and compare how treatment varies depending on if a couple is same-sex. This treatment could be in terms of things like hospital visitation,  adoption,  wills etc.

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2018, 09:39:03 pm »
+2
Hey friend!

Great idea above from miniturtle! You could also structure it in terms of, say, the different agencies of law reform. So, a paragraph on parliament, a paragraph on courts, etc.

I had a similar question to this in my HSC (Trials maybe?), and I ended up taking a timeline approach. Doing a paragraph on the decriminalisation reforms, one on the De-Facto relationship reforms, one on same sex marriage reforms, etc. It was a weird structure but it worked for me.

Hopefully those ideas help!! Feel free to bounce ideas off of us - I'd start with paragraph topics with dot point evidence below each one ;D

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2018, 02:25:47 pm »
+2
Also remember you can talk about discrimination and adoption procedures too. That question above doesn't ask you to only talk about the legal validity and recognition of the relationship, it also allows you to branch out and talk about the protections for LGBTQIA+ discrimination, and even parenthood scenarios! :)
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!