Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 09:54:50 pm

Author Topic: Need help with these induction questions  (Read 3178 times)  Share 

Benicillin

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Need help with these induction questions
« on: February 15, 2020, 12:14:19 am »
Need help thanks.

fun_jirachi

• MOTM: AUG 18
  • Part of the furniture
  • All doom and Gloom.
  • Respect: +710
Re: Need help with these induction questions
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2020, 02:16:03 pm »
+6
Hey there!

I'll demonstrate the first one, which requires the most effort to do, but you should really have a second attempt at the other two - please show us what you've done so we can help you improve and learn! :)

A few things to note:
- Firstly, look at what you're working towards -> assume that in your working, that what you've got is correct and equivalent to the result (it's a matter of how you get there), and look ahead for tips on how to do that, especially through results that were given to you previously
- It's also handy to look out for other ways to integrate previous results (like how we used the sine double angle to get a cosine in the working to use part (a))

Hope this helps! :)

Spoiler
HSC 2018: Mod Hist [88] | 2U Maths [98]
HSC 2019: Physics [92] | Chemistry [93] | English Adv [87] | 3U Maths [98] | 4U Maths [97]
ATAR: 99.05

UCAT: 3310 - VR [740] | DM [890] | QR [880] | AR [800]
Guide Links:
Subject Acceleration (2018)
UCAT Question Compilation/FAQ (2020)
Asking good questions

Benicillin

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2020, 08:28:26 pm »
Thanks for that. I have been trying to work on question 6 (x^n - y^n  / y - n) but the long line of xs and ys keep catching me off guard. Also with the one about being divisible by 6, Im a bit stuck because after factoring the equation of n = k+ 1, 6 was not a common factor.

fun_jirachi

• MOTM: AUG 18
  • Part of the furniture
  • All doom and Gloom.
  • Respect: +710
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2020, 10:39:18 pm »
+1
Thanks for that. I have been trying to work on question 6 (x^n - y^n  / y - n) but the long line of xs and ys keep catching me off guard. Also with the one about being divisible by 6, Im a bit stuck because after factoring the equation of n = k+ 1, 6 was not a common factor.

Sorry for the late reply!

With the divisibility question, I'm going to put the answer up, but I'm going to give a few hints for Q6.

Skipping the first step, since I'm sure you've done that

I think it's safe to assume you got up to here, then realised hang on, that's a 3, not a 6. But consider k(k+1) for a second. In any two consecutive integers (we gave the condition that k was an integer!) one must be even, the other must be odd. That means we can actually express two consecutive integers as 2c(2c+1) for some integer c, or if k was odd, (2c+1)(2c+2) for some integer c. Essentially, what this all means is that k(k+1) must be even, and thus 3k(k+1) is an integer divisible by 6. Does this make sense? I think it's relatively straightforward from here since we now have some integer multiplied by 6 :)

For Q6, here's the hint (which basically gives away the answer, so look at your own discretion):
Spoiler

Spoiler
HSC 2018: Mod Hist [88] | 2U Maths [98]
HSC 2019: Physics [92] | Chemistry [93] | English Adv [87] | 3U Maths [98] | 4U Maths [97]
ATAR: 99.05

UCAT: 3310 - VR [740] | DM [890] | QR [880] | AR [800]
Guide Links:
Subject Acceleration (2018)
UCAT Question Compilation/FAQ (2020)
Asking good questions