Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 03:38:57 am

Author Topic: Atar of 77?  (Read 5109 times)

XD12345

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +2
Atar of 77?
« on: October 03, 2020, 08:51:12 pm »
Hi everyone,

As this year’s year 12 students know, practice exams are starting. I’ve been doing well so far but I kinda screwed my practice exams and now I’m getting kinda worried. I’m gonna use my practice exam scores as well as my internal assessment scores to give a score out of 100 and maybe this can help give me some reassurance that I could possiblY still can an atar above 77.

Thanks everyone

Maths: 70 (probably wont count)
English: 75
Biology: 85
Psychology: 85
Music: 80
Legal: 90

So yea I’m looking at marks in the 80’s. Of course my actual exams are gonna be better because I have 3-4 more weeks to study but worst case scenario...let’s say these are the final scores.

matthew hay

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Re: Atar of 77?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2020, 08:02:04 pm »
I’ve been doing well so far but I kinda screwed my practice exams and now I’m getting kinda worried. I’m gonna use my practice exam scores as well as my internal assessment scores to give a score out of 100 and maybe this can help give me some reassurance that I could possiblY still can an atar above 77.

So yea I’m looking at marks in the 80’s. Of course my actual exams are gonna be better because I have 3-4 more weeks to study but worst case scenario...let’s say these are the final scores.

Hi there,

Can you please share how you calculated your overall score for a subject. Say Maths, English and Bio?

I'm confused as to how to do it exactly, especially with the removal of an internal assessment and all; hence what the weighings are for each internal assessment piece are. I would super duper appreciate this!  ;D ;D
PS: Best of luck for your externals!

Regards,
Fellow 2020 QCE student

XD12345

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2020, 01:09:29 pm »
+1
I’m not sure how they calculate the scores with the removal of one internal assessment but it’s actually quite simple to convert.

For example: legal studies

IA1: 22/25
IA2: 25/25

Now, since the exam is out of 25 and all I have is 47/50, the internal assessments need to be out of 75, a SIMPLIFIED way of converting it to a score out of 75 is

(47/50)x75

47 out of 50 is 0.94, and multiplying that by 75 should give you a converted score.

I know that the qcaa will have a more complex system in place to convert scores, but this is a simple way to convert scores that may give you an estimate.

Don’t quote me on this lmao, I have no idea how the qcaa will deal with the removal of an internal assessment, I’m just using this simplified formula to give me an ‘idea’ of where I would stand.

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2020, 02:19:41 pm »
+2
I’m not sure how they calculate the scores with the removal of one internal assessment but it’s actually quite simple to convert.

Now, since the exam is out of 25 and all I have is 47/50, the internal assessments need to be out of 75, a SIMPLIFIED way of converting it to a score out of 75 is

(47/50)x75

47 out of 50 is 0.94, and multiplying that by 75 should give you a converted score.

I know that the qcaa will have a more complex system in place to convert scores, but this is a simple way to convert scores that may give you an estimate.

Don’t quote me on this lmao, I have no idea how the qcaa will deal with the removal of an internal assessment, I’m just using this simplified formula to give me an ‘idea’ of where I would stand.

As you've indicated QCAA is using a more complicated approach - if you're interested there's info in the top link here

Hi everyone,

As this year’s year 12 students know, practice exams are starting. I’ve been doing well so far but I kinda screwed my practice exams and now I’m getting kinda worried. I’m gonna use my practice exam scores as well as my internal assessment scores to give a score out of 100 and maybe this can help give me some reassurance that I could possiblY still can an atar above 77.

Thanks everyone

Psychology: 85
Music: 80
Legal: 90

Yes it's still possible for you to get a >77 ATAR :)

matthew hay

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2020, 11:07:13 pm »

(47/50)x75

Hey, THIS IS GREAT, its the type of answer i've been looking for! Thanks for your response!