Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 23, 2024, 10:29:05 pm

Author Topic: Text walls  (Read 1263 times)  Share 

Eventful

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
  • School: ~
  • School Grad Year: 2017
Text walls
« on: December 24, 2017, 07:50:07 pm »
Hello everyone,

I'd like to share a suggestion through an example. I was reading through a thread on ATARNotes and got to a rather long response--not only long through--a literal text wall. I read through it and it was probably the most insightful response in the entire thread, but I must say, some paragraphs would have been appreciated.

I've noticed that on another rival forum--I think it's a forum--has bots which perform certain functions. One of those bots cleans up text walls. Is there a possibility that ATARNotes could have it's own bot which performs this function?

TLDR: Will ATARNotes consider adopting a bot which will clean up text walls by inserting paragraphs?

Kind regards,

Eventful

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +1536
Re: Text walls
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2017, 08:03:06 pm »
+5
In my opinion I don't believe it is an urgent matter that needs to be addressed at this time. The responsibility of formatting lies with the poster in the end. You could always PM them to ask them to update it?

Of course, paragraphs and neat formatting would be great in an ideal world. But this is a forum and this is going to happen :)
« Last Edit: December 24, 2017, 08:06:43 pm by Aaron »
Experience in teaching at both secondary and tertiary levels.

website // new forum profile

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
Re: Text walls
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2017, 11:55:21 pm »
+5
I think automating formatting in any sense takes expressive power away from the user - So I personally don't think this will be something that will get implemented. Don't get me wrong I'd much prefer paragraphs, and I use them - But I think automating it would just be an indirect way of over-regulating how people express themselves :) keen to hear other thoughts if there are any! :)