Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 12:03:04 pm

Author Topic: Should I Continue With Methods  (Read 850 times)  Share 

tho0058

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Should I Continue With Methods
« on: February 23, 2019, 07:06:06 am »
As the title suggests, I am questioning whether or not I should continue with Maths Methods in VCE, and I was hoping to get some advice and recommendations.

To provide some background information, I am currently a year 11 student studying two 3/4s (Biology and Further Maths), as well as units 1 and 2 of English, Maths Methods, Chemistry, and 20th Century History.

The reasons I am considering discontinuing my study of Maths Methods are:

1) I am not sure whether or not I want to go to university immediately after high school, or possibly ever, and I am currently leaning towards not going.

2) I feel as though my strength lies in writing as I have made significant improvements to my writing over the last ~18 months. Therefore, if I was to drop out of my Methods class, I think I would like to take up another humanities subjects, in addition to 20th Cent History, such as politics. This is not to say I have a poor maths ability however. I feel I am still able to grasp the methods concepts well enough. For example, in my last methods class (we are currently doing quadratics), I spent most of it thinking, 'do I really want to be doing this subject?', whilst almost mindlessly taking down the class notes, and still being able to understand them and use what I had learnt.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

EllingtonFeint

• Trendsetter
  • Offering private tutoring ✨
  • Respect: +24
Re: Should I Continue With Methods
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2019, 08:42:05 am »
+2
1) I am not sure whether or not I want to go to university immediately after high school, or possibly ever, and I am currently leaning towards not going.

2) I feel as though my strength lies in writing as I have made significant improvements to my writing over the last ~18 months. Therefore, if I was to drop out of my Methods class, I think I would like to take up another humanities subjects, in addition to 20th Cent History, such as politics. This is not to say I have a poor maths ability however...

I think that you have pretty good reasoning for wanting to drop out of it and I feel like you, personally, already know what you want to do.
If you truly think you would be better off in another humanities subject then, in my opinion, you should go for it.
However, I’m curious about what you want to do after high school?
I think methods is a prerequisite for certain courses so if you ever change your mind, you don’t want to shut off that option completely.

Hope this helps!
Biology 🌱 [49] |  English [47]

Surviving and Succeeding in Biology:
https://atarnotes.com/forum/index.php?topic=187145.msg1129188

guac

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2019, 08:27:32 pm »
+1
Agree with the above. I think you should generally do things that you're passionate about. If Methods truly bores you and you think it'll have no benefit to you in the future, dropping it is a fair call.

But you should also take some time to 'trial' your new humanities subject on your own before you make that leap. Other subjects can always seem more appealing when you're not the one doing it.

Also keep in mind that your career path is still far from determined, and you might always change your mind in the next few years. Methods is a pretty important subject for certain career paths (eg. engineering), so be sure that you don't want to pursue these paths before you drop it.
Guac puts a maths tutor in your pocket.
Chat to a verified, high achieving tutor anytime, anywhere. Ask about anything, from homework problems to difficult concepts.

7 day free trial, no credit card needed so you can get asking instantly: guactutor.com

Only available on iPhones (Android and tablets are coming!)

tho0058

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2019, 06:56:13 am »
I think that you have pretty good reasoning for wanting to drop out of it and I feel like you, personally, already know what you want to do.
If you truly think you would be better off in another humanities subject then, in my opinion, you should go for it.
However, I’m curious about what you want to do after high school?
I think methods is a prerequisite for certain courses so if you ever change your mind, you don’t want to shut off that option completely.

Hope this helps!

Agree with the above. I think you should generally do things that you're passionate about. If Methods truly bores you and you think it'll have no benefit to you in the future, dropping it is a fair call.

But you should also take some time to 'trial' your new humanities subject on your own before you make that leap. Other subjects can always seem more appealing when you're not the one doing it.

Also keep in mind that your career path is still far from determined, and you might always change your mind in the next few years. Methods is a pretty important subject for certain career paths (eg. engineering), so be sure that you don't want to pursue these paths before you drop it.

Thanks for the responses. I will definitely try to find out some more about politics as a subject in the meantime.