Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 12:31:07 am

Author Topic: What are your UAC preferences? (2019 edition)  (Read 6751 times)  Share 

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
What are your UAC preferences? (2019 edition)
« on: September 04, 2019, 12:52:13 pm »
+2
Taken from AngelWings' thread on VTAC preferences for 2019 here!

With course applications fast approaching, how are your preferences looking?

Quote from: AngelWings
Class of 2019 (or later for the keen beans!):
1. How do your preferences look at the moment?
2. How are you feeling about your preferences?
3. Do you think they値l change? If so, how?
4. What are you aiming/ hoping for (i.e. careers/ career paths)? Will you be going headfirst into the world of higher education or taking a break next year?

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

fun_jirachi

• MOTM: AUG 18
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • All doom and Gloom.
  • Respect: +710
Re: What are your UAC preferences? (2019 edition)
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2019, 01:00:51 pm »
+6
How do your preferences look at the moment?
No clue. I put them in the day UAC opened, haven't looked at them since.
How are you feeling about your preferences?
Not too sure. All I remember is I put some STEM stuff because I like STEM, so I should be good with anything I put down back then I suppose.
Do you think they'll change? If so, how?
Given UNSW Open Day is this Saturday, it'll give me a chance to talk to more people and see if something sparks with any career path. That, and the fact that there's still more than three months until ATARs, as well as the fact that my preferences are a mess should guarantee a change at some point down the road.
What are you aiming/hoping for? Will you be going headfirst into the world of higher education or taking a break next year?
Not sure to the first question. Still no clue about any career path. However, 100% will be going to uni without taking a break; given my holidays and post-trials week off, I've realised how boring a break actually is; and there's still ages to take a break after the HSC. I'd rather be doing something more productive ie. ruling out career options/finally finding one with uni. Extend an already huge break by 12 months? No thanks :)
Spoiler
HSC 2018: Mod Hist [88] | 2U Maths [98]
HSC 2019: Physics [92] | Chemistry [93] | English Adv [87] | 3U Maths [98] | 4U Maths [97]
ATAR: 99.05

UCAT: 3310 - VR [740] | DM [890] | QR [880] | AR [800]
Guide Links:
Subject Acceleration (2018)
UCAT Question Compilation/FAQ (2020)
Asking good questions

r1ckworthy

• NSW MVP - 2019
  • HSC Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +305
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2019, 02:27:11 pm »
+5
How do your preferences look at the moment?

(1) Doctor of Medicine- WSU
(2) Physiotherapy- WSU
(3) Physioptherapy- ACU
(4) Bachelor of Advanced Medical Science (Anatomy and Physiology)- WSU
(5) Bachelor of Biomedical Science- UTS

Also had MBBS program on QTAC for James Cook University as well!

How are you feeling about your preferences?

Definitely would not get an offer or interview for (1), my UCAT score is waaay too low but why not.

Pretty confident I can achieve an ATAR of >95, so going for physio at WSU. Plan is to re-sit the UCAT next year and try to transfer that way ;D

I really would like to get an offer for (3), but I highly doubt I will achieve an ATAR that is >97.70. However, we will never know!

In case things don't go to plan and I don't achieve physio, (4) and (5) are there. I'm confident I'll achieve a band 5 for chemistry, and through the HSC true rewards program I'll get in.

I have also put a preference up on QTAC for medicine at James Cook University, I am not too confident about this one though, and I don't really want to move interstate due to a number of reasons ;D.

Do you think they'll change? If so, how?

I might change (4) and (5) to an advanced science degree or bachelor of science, not medical science due to a number of reasons, and also so I have something to fall back to. ;D
I am applying for James Cook University, but I don't really want to right now. Moving interstate is quite scary, as well as a bunch of other reasons. However, I am going to give it a go.

(1) to (3) would presumably stay the same.

What are you aiming/hoping for? Will you be going headfirst into the world of higher education or taking a break next year?

I am hoping to get into physio and transfer to medicine next year, probably at WSU though I might try for UNSW if my UCAT percentile is high enough next year. Even if I don't get into med, I'd still be happy as a physiotherapist. The other preferences are pretty good as well.

I will definitely NOT take a gap year next year. Knowing myself, I will just waste a whole year of my life and also lose momentum in terms of studying. I honestly can't wait for university!
HSC 2019: English Advanced || Mathematics || Mathematics Extension 1 || Physics || Chemistry || Science Extension || Ancient History ||

Bachelor of Physiotherapy @ ACU

The Yr12 journey- a diary I "hope" to update... || Halfway through Year 12... lessons I've learned so far. || Check out my youtube channel!

melberry

• Trailblazer
  • 自分の夢を追いかけろ
  • Respect: +30
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2019, 09:12:44 am »
+5

1. Public Communication/BCII - UTS
2. Public Communication/International Studies - UTS
3. Visual Communication/BCII - UTS
4. Design/Media in PR and Advertising - UNSW
5. Commerce/Media in PR and Advertising - UNSW

Pretty good.

I'm pretty set on going to UTS because I quite like the campus and facilities there.

I'm quite confident I'll get into the course of my choice with my marks post-trials, so that's a little less stress off my head. At this point in time, I'm just aiming to maximise my ATAR for scholarships and such.

I've been building the list since Year 10, so any changes are just in terms of the order. It feels a bit weird because the cutoff ATARs aren't from highest-lowest, but otherwise, the list is pretty solid.

4. What are you aiming/ hoping for (i.e. careers/ career paths)? Will you be going headfirst into the world of higher education or taking a break next year?

Hoping to get into PR or communication management. Campaign and advertising spheres are also possible areas of pursuit.

Definitely no gap year, going straight into university. I am extremely keen to study something I am passionate about so the sooner the better :)
2017: Information Processes and Technology
2019: 4U Math, 3U English, Japanese, Economics
ATAR: 94.85

KingTings

• MOTM: JULY 19
  • Forum Regular
  • "I'll do it later.."
  • Respect: +15
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2019, 07:24:45 pm »
+5

1. Bachelor of Commerce (Co-op) at UNSW
2. Bachelor of Commerce at UNSW
3. Bachelor of Commerce at USYD
4. Bachelor of Business at UTS
5. Bachelor of Commerce at Macquarie University

Pretty good I think. I have been second guessing about applying for the Co-op program due to the long application process and high ATAR requirement w/o adjustment factors.
I have also been considering doing a double degree in commerce/economics and doing a trimajor but I'm not too sure yet (extra cost and study time)
My ATAR prediction is quite high however I'm not too sure I'll perform as decently in the HSC exams hence I am a bit hesitent.

I'm pretty confident in my decisions, I don't think they will change too much unless I decide to do a double degree with economics or something else.

I'll be jumping straight into uni hopefully,
I'm aiming to land a position in an investment bank or asset management, I'm pretty interest in the financial services industry and hope to get my foot in the door of the industry somehow via internships etc  ;D.
HSC 2019
Business Studies - Economics - Physics - English Adv. - Maths Adv.

ATAR:
Aim = 92+, Actual = 97.1 ;D

martinstran

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +8
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2019, 02:14:47 pm »
+4

1. B Science / M Mathematical Sciences at USyd
2. B Commerce / B Advanced Maths (Hons) at UNSW
3. B Economics at USyd
4. B Mathematical Sciences / M Applied Statistics at Macquarie
5. Bachelor of Commerce / B Mathematical Sciences at Macquarie

I'm not completely sure tbh... With USyd's new Academic Excellence Scheme, I might make it into my top preference (98 lowers to 93+5), which I'd be happy with. I quite like the sound of the Bachelor/Masters combo, so if I decide to change things, I'll still have a B Sc that I can use to do postgrad in something else (maybe an MTeach or DMD)

They'll definitely change, I'm hella indecisive so I'm assuming I'll change my mind at some point in time. I'm not too sure about the business/commerce component of the degrees as I might not end up going into such fields.

I'd love to take a gap year, perhaps to teach English in a foreign country, but my parents are a bit strict on that sort of stuff. I'll probably end up going to uni, and hopefully I can figure out what I want to do in the future, but I'm leaning towards maybe Education
HSC 2019
ENG (Std) 89 | MX1 98 | MX2 99| ECO 89 | S+C 94 | SOR 1 44 | ATAR: 99

david.wang28

• MOTM: MAR 19
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Always do everything equanimously
  • Respect: +29
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2019, 11:16:31 pm »
+3

A- Engineering (flexible) / Project management at USYD
B- Engineering (flexible) at UNSW
C- Advanced science / Computer science at UNSW
D- Science / Advanced Studies (Advanced) at USYD
E- Engineering (flexible) at UTS

For the first preference I'm definitely going to get in because my school nominated me for the future leaders scheme USYD offers. So no worrying about that. The only thing worrying me is my ATAR requirement for my other courses, but I am reasonably confident that I can get around a 90 ATAR.

I might change my preferences later on because I'm not absolutely sure what I want to do. I'm looking at my uni handbooks about what courses they offer, and what may be beneficial for me in the long run in terms of my interests and future job prospects. But I definitely want to go down the engineering or physics route, maybe even something to do with computer science or maths.

I'm hoping to become an engineer, maybe going down the electrical, mechanical or biomedical path (if I can't decide, I'll pick mechatronic). I was also thinking of becoming a computer scientist or majoring in physics because that's the subject I'm the most passionate about (combined with my love for maths, it's even better). I won't be taking a gap year though, because I'm very bored right now in this long break.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2019, 10:49:13 am by david.wang28 »
Selection rank: 95.25

2020-2024: Bachelor of engineering and computer science @ UNSW