Uni Stuff > Science

[Monash BSc] Choosing a major

(1/2) > >>

Orson:
Hi everyone! I'm not sure what sort of major I should do next year if I get into BSc at MU next year. I'm aiming to get into post gradu- ate medicine (lols I know) and I don't know if this should influence my choice of major.

I know I have to do the prerequisites (UoM and MU), but does my major also have to be around that field?

So far I've thought about:
- Pure Mathematics
- Mathematics
- Physics
- Pharmacology

Keep in mind that I need to keep up a really high GPA (and WAM). As you can see, I'm really into in math and physics, and pharmacology just seems interesting.

What are you thoughts?

Thanks!

ChickenCh0wM1en:

--- Quote from: Orson on September 14, 2015, 12:02:19 pm ---Hi everyone! I'm not sure what sort of major I should do next year if I get into BSc at MU next year. I'm aiming to get into post gradu- ate medicine (lols I know) and I don't know if this should influence my choice of major.

I know I have to do the prerequisites (UoM and MU), but does my major also have to be around that field?

So far I've thought about:
- Pure Mathematics
- Mathematics
- Physics
- Pharmacology

Keep in mind that I need to keep up a really high GPA (and WAM). As you can see, I'm really into in math and physics, and pharmacology just seems interesting.

What are you thoughts?

Thanks!

--- End quote ---

If you have the prereqs (at the moment) you don't need to have a major in that field. I know you're pretty keen but see how you go in BSc next year and the following years.
I know I had majors which I thought I'd love which I actually turned out hating (i.e. Microbiology). Again as others have reiterated, do what you're strong at and what you enjoy.

keltingmeith:
Wait it out, see what happens. I walked into it wanting pure maths and geo, now I want chem and stats.

Curiously, why med if only 1/4 of your currently interested majors is directly related? (Have a feeling I've asked this before... but whatevs, I'll build this reputation, cuz me forgets)

Orson:

--- Quote from: EulerFan101 on September 14, 2015, 06:13:41 pm ---Curiously, why med if only 1/4 of your currently interested majors is directly related? (Have a feeling I've asked this before... but whatevs, I'll build this reputation, cuz me forgets)

--- End quote ---

Great question. My brother also asked me this...

To be honest, I'm scared that if I do a major in something unknown (Chem or Bio), I won't do well. I haven't studied any Chem or Bio since year 10, and I don't think my performance on those could be used as a scale (haha). I'm interested in both, but I don't want to kill my chances before I even start.

I'm pretty strong in Maths and Physics (I know I didn't do Spesh), and I feel I'm more confident in those areas than going into something completely new. I know that if I get into post grad med I'll have to do subjects in that field (obviously), but I'll deal with that then. I have to focus on getting a good GPA or WAM or whatever to keep my option of post grad med alive.

Thanks as always!

Orson:

--- Quote from: ChickenCh0wM1en on September 14, 2015, 01:50:15 pm ---If you have the prereqs (at the moment) you don't need to have a major in that field. I know you're pretty keen but see how you go in BSc next year and the following years.

--- End quote ---

Yeah, I've been looking at alternatives in case I mess up my first semester and wreck my chances of keeping up a good GPA. I guess it's like every semester is a level in a game, and you only have one life.

--- Quote from: ChickenCh0wM1en on September 14, 2015, 01:50:15 pm ---I know I had majors which I thought I'd love which I actually turned out hating (i.e. Microbiology). Again as others have reiterated, do what you're strong at and what you enjoy.

--- End quote ---

So you can change majors? That's nice to know!

Thanks for your response!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version