Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 01:13:31 am

Author Topic: COVID-19 and Education  (Read 84124 times)  Share 

keltingmeith

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • he/him - they is also fine
  • Respect: +1292
Re: COVID-19 and Education
« Reply #315 on: August 28, 2020, 05:02:03 pm »
+3
Don't want to derail from education further, but adding to the above, surgical masks are also better at droplet control so better for you if you are in a compromised health state :)

Back on education - honestly my year hasn't been affected *too* much but was announced today our end of year conference where we present our research project will be over zoom and our final exam will also be online. I guess I'm not that surprised but I just hadn't really thought about how things will happen in the months to come!

Same - I was meant to have a camp-like intensive at the end of the year that's been cut in half, with the first half being entirely virtual, which kinda sucks for several reasons (one of them being my inability to pay rent since I apparently won't be able to work during it...). But oh well, we've all got to make sacrifices

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
« Reply #316 on: August 28, 2020, 05:11:06 pm »
+3
I don't think it is particularly useful anecdotally comparing medical conditions or a small sample of people with the same medical condition since they won't all have the same experiences with masks.

Whilst I think within reason everyone should at least try to see whether they are able to wear a mask/face covering (as others have suggested try surgical masks or even just a face-covering if other masks are troublesome). If you do have asthma you don't need to wear a face-covering as per the Department of Health and Human Services Victoria. https://www.dhhs.vic.gov.au/face-coverings-covid-19#do-i-have-to-wear-a-face-covering-if-i-have-asthma. However, this would likely mean you need to be carrying around proof of your condition. It would be worthwhile having a talk with your GP in regards to what would be the best option for you.

Obviously, just because the rule is there doesn't mean you need to exploit it.

Closing discussion on this here :)
For further discussion use the general COVID-19 thread.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2020, 05:15:54 pm by Sine »

lm21074

• MOTM: JAN 19
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +594
« Reply #317 on: August 28, 2020, 06:32:04 pm »
+3
FYI, the general COVID-19 thread can be found here :)
2021: VCE
2022: Science / Arts @ Monash

eloisegrace

• MOTM: April 20
  • Forum Obsessive
  • she/her ~ class of 2021
  • Respect: +264
« Reply #318 on: August 28, 2020, 07:09:39 pm »
+3
Don't want to derail from education further, but adding to the above, surgical masks are also better at droplet control so better for you if you are in a compromised health state :)

Back on education - honestly my year hasn't been affected *too* much but was announced today our end of year conference where we present our research project will be over zoom and our final exam will also be online. I guess I'm not that surprised but I just hadn't really thought about how things will happen in the months to come!
I am in a pretty good state with my education, my school has been very good with remote learning and I don't think that my marks have changed in any way. I really think I am on track to meet my study score goals and at the end of the day I don't think that COVID has significantly affected my education. I have felt a bit more demotivated and tired during quarantine but I know that is normal. There have been not as many co-curricular activities which is sad for me but some have been moved remotely. My mental health has not been as good as normal but I am taking time for myself and being kinder on myself. I try to keep up with my friends as much as possible and walking in nature. I am perfectly okay but as always my mood can go up and down.

Basically, I feel fortunate enough to feel as though my education hasn't been affected and I feel safe and content :) :)
2020 - mathematical methods [42] | further mathematics [45]
2021 - english language [45] | chemistry [36] | french [33] | physical education [44]
ATAR - 98.75
my vce journey !
2022 - bachelor of commerce and bachelor of politics, philosophy and economics @ the australian national university

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +2877
« Reply #319 on: August 28, 2020, 07:14:12 pm »
+4
Same - I was meant to have a camp-like intensive at the end of the year that's been cut in half, with the first half being entirely virtual, which kinda sucks for several reasons (one of them being my inability to pay rent since I apparently won't be able to work during it...). But oh well, we've all got to make sacrifices
I honestly don't hate this online format, they're gonna split us up into relevant subgroups to then present whereas I think if it was in person, we would have had to do it in front of the whole cohort/most of the cohort. Feels a lot less daunting because I won't have to get up in front of heaps of people haha. In the same respect though, doing a big presentation would have been cool given its been a big project that took us a good 6 months.

I am in a pretty good state with my education, my school has been very good with remote learning and I don't think that my marks have changed in any way. I really think I am on track to meet my study score goals and at the end of the day I don't think that COVID has significantly affected my education. I have felt a bit more demotivated and tired during quarantine but I know that is normal. There have been not as many co-curricular activities which is sad for me but some have been moved remotely. My mental health has not been as good as normal but I am taking time for myself and being kinder on myself. I try to keep up with my friends as much as possible and walking in nature. I am perfectly okay but as always my mood can go up and down.

Basically, I feel fortunate enough to feel as though my education hasn't been affected and I feel safe and content :) :)
This is so good to hear! Great that you're being kind to yourself too. What co-curricular activities were you involved in prior to COVID? When I was at school I was pretty much solely in sport co-curriculars so that wouldn't have worked well with moving online haha.

eloisegrace

• MOTM: April 20
  • Forum Obsessive
  • she/her ~ class of 2021
  • Respect: +264
« Reply #320 on: August 28, 2020, 09:22:43 pm »
+4
This is so good to hear! Great that you're being kind to yourself too. What co-curricular activities were you involved in prior to COVID? When I was at school I was pretty much solely in sport co-curriculars so that wouldn't have worked well with moving online haha.
I’m involved in a lot of things! Mainly involved in sport, I participated in diving and netball twice a week outside of school and in school I did 2 sports most terms which would take up 2 morning and 1 night a week :) I am also really involved in house events. Remotely we have had cross country and diving, and right now we are doing music, dance and drama online. I somehow signed up for all three!! For music we have done audio and video, drama is an audio play and dance has been postponed until next term. I also did lots of service activities at school haha. I was very involved but I loved it and adored school for both this and the social aspect. 

This is slightly off this topic, but is any school making them do a practice GAT. Because it may be worth more this year, we are doing a practice in the first week of the holidays and actually getting a VCAA GAT marker to mark them and give us feedback before our test :)
2020 - mathematical methods [42] | further mathematics [45]
2021 - english language [45] | chemistry [36] | french [33] | physical education [44]
ATAR - 98.75
my vce journey !
2022 - bachelor of commerce and bachelor of politics, philosophy and economics @ the australian national university

Chocolatemilkshake

• MOTM: JAN 21
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +371
« Reply #321 on: August 29, 2020, 06:46:46 am »
+5
I am in a pretty good state with my education, my school has been very good with remote learning and I don't think that my marks have changed in any way.
This is great Eloise! I feel pretty similar and as much as confinement sucks, I haven’t been significantly disadvantaged by COVID from an education perspective. I mean, I really miss my extracurricular activities and my friends but so does everyone else. Honestly I think it’s really important to be grateful for what I do have and that I’m still receiving a high quality education during a global pandemic.

This is slightly off this topic, but is any school making them do a practice GAT. Because it may be worth more this year, we are doing a practice in the first week of the holidays and actually getting a VCAA GAT marker to mark them and give us feedback before our test :)
Yeah we are doing one next week online and then our writing pieces will be externally marked as well.
2021-2025: BMedSci/M.D @ Monash

ArtyDreams

• MOTM: Jan 20
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • Fly against the wind. Not with it.
  • Respect: +599
« Reply #322 on: August 29, 2020, 08:53:53 am »
+2
Yep - we also got the news that a practise GAT will be done at the end of the this term!

turinturambar

• Forum Obsessive
  • TÚRIN TURAMBAR DAGNIR GLAURUNGA
  • Respect: +184
« Reply #323 on: October 11, 2020, 11:41:46 pm »
+7
Seen today.
“Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.” – Neil Gaiman