Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 07:32:50 am

Author Topic: Study Score Prediction Question Thread  (Read 979011 times)  Share 

keltingmeith

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • he/him - they is also fine
  • Respect: +1292
Re: Study Score Prediction Question Thread
« Reply #2970 on: September 18, 2020, 02:26:48 pm »
What results on the exam would I be looking at for a 37 raw in English? [I'm at MHS]

Unit 3 SAC results, A[language analysis], A+[creative], B [text response]
Unit 4 SAC results so far [haven't done comparative sac yet]- A+ [argument]

Do you know what percentage you got for each?

homeworkisapotato

• MOTM: Aug 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +288
« Reply #2971 on: September 23, 2020, 08:12:16 pm »
Hey!! Can you please predict my study score for Bio?

Cohort strength: I think Suzanne Cory is pretty strong?
Cohort size: There are about 100-150 students in my Bio cohort

Unit 3 rank: top 10
Unit 3 average: 88%
Unit 4 rank: top 20
Unit 4 average: 85%

Exam mark: 105-110/120

Thank you so much <3
2020: Biology [43]
2021: Methods, Chemistry, HHD, English, Further
Selective School Entry Tips

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Respect: +2103
« Reply #2972 on: September 23, 2020, 08:36:02 pm »
+3
Hey!! Can you please predict my study score for Bio?

Cohort strength: I think Suzanne Cory is pretty strong?
Cohort size: There are about 100-150 students in my Bio cohort

Unit 3 rank: top 10
Unit 3 average: 88%
Unit 4 rank: top 20
Unit 4 average: 85%

Exam mark: 105-110/120

Thank you so much <3
If the exam is similar to the last couple years in difficulty I would say mid to high 40s.

TheEagle

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +12
« Reply #2973 on: September 25, 2020, 01:06:27 am »
Anxiety starting to kick in

Chem:
Average to below average cohort. Perhaps rank 1 and 2 will get 40+ ss    and the rest between 25-35.
Unit 3: Rank 16/16 (missed a sac and got zero lol)
Unit 4: Rank 4/16
Exam: ?
what exam score do I need for a 25 or a 30?

keltingmeith

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #2974 on: September 25, 2020, 02:24:38 am »
+1
Anxiety starting to kick in

Chem:
Average to below average cohort. Perhaps rank 1 and 2 will get 40+ ss    and the rest between 25-35.
Unit 3: Rank 16/16 (missed a sac and got zero lol)
Unit 4: Rank 4/16
Exam: ?
what exam score do I need for a 25 or a 30?

It would help if I knew your scores, but my gut reaction - yes, doing well enough on the exam will get you >25. Using my calculator, even if you get 0 for BOTH unit 3 and 4 SACs, a score of 25 is still in your range if you get 80%, and the predictor guarantees* it if you get an 85%

*Guarantees it only if the grade distribution is exactly the same, so you may need to score higher than that still, but you might also not need to score that high. Basically, just saying that more than 25 is still on the cards, and while I can't tell you how high you need to score, I can tell you it should still be possible

TheEagle

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +12
« Reply #2975 on: September 25, 2020, 09:17:55 am »
It would help if I knew your scores, but my gut reaction - yes, doing well enough on the exam will get you >25. Using my calculator, even if you get 0 for BOTH unit 3 and 4 SACs, a score of 25 is still in your range if you get 80%, and the predictor guarantees* it if you get an 85%

*Guarantees it only if the grade distribution is exactly the same, so you may need to score higher than that still, but you might also not need to score that high. Basically, just saying that more than 25 is still on the cards, and while I can't tell you how high you need to score, I can tell you it should still be possible

Overall I’d say I’m ranked 12th or 13th out of 16 people (unit 3/4).
If the people above me get within 25-35 study scores, do I still need a very high exam mark for 25 or a 30?

I’m a bit confused on how to use the predictor

keltingmeith

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #2976 on: September 25, 2020, 05:11:37 pm »

Overall I’d say I’m ranked 12th or 13th out of 16 people (unit 3/4).
If the people above me get within 25-35 study scores, do I still need a very high exam mark for 25 or a 30?

I’m a bit confused on how to use the predictor

Ranking is important to predicting results, yes - but so are what your SAC scores /actually/ are. Did you get 20%, 30%, 78%? Ironically, being the lowest ranked student for unit 3, and still being pretty low after including unit 4, you likely don't have to worry about your SAC scores changing, because the lowest SAC score is also used to figure out how to scale everyone else in the cohort. Sorry about that :(

I can't really put a figure on it, but again, without your SAC scores, I can't really say anything more than, "80% should likely still put you in the running for a 25+ score".

To use the predictor (and these instructions are also listed in the pink box on the predictor), first you need to click File -> Make a Copy -> OK while logged into a Google account. A new tab will open - if you go into this tab, you'll now be in a different version of the calculator, one you'll be able to make edits to. In the red boxes, you need to enter the subject you want to calculate for using the drop-down box (click the arrow on the right of the box). Then, in the green boxes, enter what your mark is for that assessment. Usually, GA1=unit 3 SACs, GA2=unit 4 SACs, and GA3=exam. This isn't always the case, refer to the study design for your subject just to make sure - simply ctrl+f and type in "Graded assessment" and you'll be taken to the relevant part of the study design.

markmorstentine

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3
« Reply #2977 on: September 27, 2020, 10:33:30 am »
Hi could someone help me out with working out what exam score I would need for a 40 and 42 in English Language? I have been told my teacher, that my internal SAC scores should scale to a low A+, based on students in the past.

Thanks!!

IM_NOT_SMARY

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #2978 on: September 27, 2020, 08:44:06 pm »
Can someone help predict my
Study score,
 English I have an average of 64% what will my study score be ?

scientificllama

• Forum Obsessive
  • insert quirky quote
  • Respect: +81
« Reply #2979 on: September 27, 2020, 09:02:43 pm »
+1
Can someone help predict my
Study score,
 English I have an average of 64% what will my study score be ?

Hey there I'm Not Smary,

In order to be able to predict your study score, we also need to know your average for both unit 3 and 4 and how "competitive" your cohort is :) I also recommend checking this out https://atar-calculator.deakin.edu.au/vce-study-score-calculator/. It's not entirely accurate but it could predict an estimate.

Happy studying :)
2019: 1/2 Psych

2020: English, Bio, Chem, Psych, HHD, Methods

2021: bye bye psych :D

IM_NOT_SMARY

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #2980 on: September 27, 2020, 11:39:08 pm »
Hey there I'm Not Smary,

In order to be able to predict your study score, we also need to know your average for both unit 3 and 4 and how "competitive" your cohort is :) I also recommend checking this out https://atar-calculator.deakin.edu.au/vce-study-score-calculator/. It's not entirely accurate but it could predict an estimate.

Happy studying :)

Unit 3: 61
Unit 4: 64

Cohort not to strong and not to weak around the middle

WhatisaMeMe

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +10
« Reply #2981 on: September 29, 2020, 12:48:05 am »
Hi.
I would like to know whether or not i can still acheive 42 for biology. I go to a strong cohort with ~70 students and my unit 3 sac average is 78% and the cohort average is 62%. The top person is around 80%-82%  (predicted) for unit 3. The sacs are very hard. For unit 4, i got 85% for the sac. Thank you.

Ps. ~18% of cohort gets 40+
ATAR:Hopefully 95+

Coolgalbornin03Lo

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +132
« Reply #2982 on: September 29, 2020, 11:45:58 am »
+2
Hi.
I would like to know whether or not i can still acheive 42 for biology. I go to a strong cohort with ~70 students and my unit 3 sac average is 78% and the cohort average is 62%. The top person is around 80%-82%  (predicted) for unit 3. The sacs are very hard. For unit 4, i got 85% for the sac. Thank you.

Ps. ~18% of cohort gets 40+

I’m not an expert but if your cohort is as strong as you say they are and 18% of them usually get above 40 and the same is true for this year between 100-110/120 should get you 40-45 so yes a 42. 110/120 is usually a 45 ish but to be safe aim for this in case your SACs don’t scale as well as you hoped. Now it’s all in the exam so forget about the SACs because that’s beyond your control as they are scaled by you and your cohorts exams scores.

Good luck on the exam 😊
My avatar sums up life.
“I’m free to be the greatest one alive” ~ Sia
╔══════════════════════════════╗
2020: English | Methods | Biology | Chemistry |              Psychology | ATAR: 0
╚══════════════════════════════╝

WhatisaMeMe

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +10
« Reply #2983 on: September 29, 2020, 12:19:30 pm »
I’m not an expert but if your cohort is as strong as you say they are and 18% of them usually get above 40 and the same is true for this year between 100-110/120 should get you 40-45 so yes a 42. 110/120 is usually a 45 ish but to be safe aim for this in case your SACs don’t scale as well as you hoped. Now it’s all in the exam so forget about the SACs because that’s beyond your control as they are scaled by you and your cohorts exams scores.

Good luck on the exam 😊
Thank you :) good luck to you too
all the best
ATAR:Hopefully 95+

keltingmeith

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #2984 on: September 29, 2020, 12:49:38 pm »
+1
Hi could someone help me out with working out what exam score I would need for a 40 and 42 in English Language? I have been told my teacher, that my internal SAC scores should scale to a low A+, based on students in the past.

Thanks!!

Alright, so I've added English Language to my study score calculator, so you are welcome to play around with it. Using it, I predict that an 80% on the exam should net you somewhere around 38-43 - so you likely want to be aiming for 80 or higher to ensure that over 40. To guarantee over 40, you need a 91 - and tbh, at this point, the accuracy of the calculator is likely very low, so I'm unsure if this is an underestimate or overestimate. >80% should be fine, for safety I'd aim around >90%

Unit 3: 61
Unit 4: 64

Cohort not to strong and not to weak around the middle

If you also get a 64 on the exam (and assuming your SACs won't change too much - I'm assuming they won't if your cohort really is right in the middle), I'd guess at around 30-33 (again, checked using my calculator, which you're welcome to experiment with yourself)