Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 09:31:26 am

Author Topic: First sentence in intro?  (Read 3413 times)

olliesfield

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
First sentence in intro?
« on: October 09, 2016, 09:56:00 pm »
Hey everyone

I am a bit confused on what the very first sentence of the introduction should be on, should it be the thesis statement?

Thanks Ollie

Justina Shehata

• Trailblazer
Re: First sentence in intro?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2016, 10:29:48 pm »
+1
Hey everyone

I am a bit confused on what the very first sentence of the introduction should be on, should it be the thesis statement?

Thanks Ollie

I think it is always a good start  to define certain words in your question to show your personal take on the concept. From there, you flesh out the definition and immediately answer the question. I oersonally think your thesis statement should be the last line in your intro to  leave the readers understanding your perspective on the question

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2016, 11:30:14 pm »
I think it is always a good start  to define certain words in your question to show your personal take on the concept. From there, you flesh out the definition and immediately answer the question. I oersonally think your thesis statement should be the last line in your intro to  leave the readers understanding your perspective on the question

While I agree that your Thesis statement can work well as the last statement in your introduction (really gives it oomph), be careful with defining terms in your Thesis. Usually it isn't required unless you need to re-frame key terms to suit your concepts; never give dictionary definitions. Those are fairly useless in almost all circumstances :)

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • "Seize the means of the HSC" ~ Vladimir Lenin
  • Respect: +931
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2016, 11:40:21 pm »
Hey everyone

Thanks Ollie

I don't know if this is the best way haha, but for my first sentence of my introduction I always try to rephrase the question into a general but related statement about discovery (or whatever the theme of the module may be)

So like if the question was: Evaluate the effectiveness of Eliot’s exploration of the relationship between individuals and their world within his poetry.

I'd start with this: Poetry offers readers insight into their own dynamic relationship with their world, presenting themes prevalent in their own lives in order to promote a greater sense of awareness of one’s place within society.

Hope this helped :)
« Last Edit: October 10, 2016, 04:07:24 pm by sudodds »
FREE HISTORY EXTENSION LECTURE - CLICK HERE FOR INFO!

2016 HSC: Modern History (18th in NSW) | History Extension (2nd place in the HTA Extension History Essay Prize) | Ancient History | Drama | English Advanced | Studies of Religion I | Economics

ATAR: 97.80

Studying a Bachelor of Communications: Media Arts and Production at UTS 😊

Looking for a history tutor? I'm ya girl! Feel free to send me a PM if you're interested!

birdwing341

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +4
  • School Grad Year: 2016
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2016, 03:20:00 pm »
Hey everyone

Thanks Ollie

And I'm slightly different as well haha. My general structure is something like this.

Sentence 1. Make a general statement about Module (e.g. in Mod A I would talk about the worth of a comparative study).
Sentence 2. Introduce texts and make reference to the question (e.g. Text X and Text Y both explore the Insert reference to the question in their examination of Insert themes. I sometimes break this sentence into two sentences as well, so I split the reference to the question from the introduction of themes.
Sentence 3. Make another statement about the elective and responders, drawn directly from the rubric, (e.g. Mod A I talk about how by recognising the impact of context in shaping perspectives, audience gain a heightened understanding of Insert another reference to the question)

But to be honest, there are so many ways of writing an effective introduction and this might seem too rigid for you, but I find it quite useful :)

studybuddy7777

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +16
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2016, 03:30:02 pm »
And I'm slightly different as well haha. My general structure is something like this.

Sentence 1. Make a general statement about Module (e.g. in Mod A I would talk about the worth of a comparative study).
Sentence 2. Introduce texts and make reference to the question (e.g. Text X and Text Y both explore the Insert reference to the question in their examination of Insert themes. I sometimes break this sentence into two sentences as well, so I split the reference to the question from the introduction of themes.
Sentence 3. Make another statement about the elective and responders, drawn directly from the rubric, (e.g. Mod A I talk about how by recognising the impact of context in shaping perspectives, audience gain a heightened understanding of Insert another reference to the question)

But to be honest, there are so many ways of writing an effective introduction and this might seem too rigid for you, but I find it quite useful :)

This is good except for Sentence 1 where I would talking about texts and context, and changing context. Apart from that thought it is good :D

birdwing341

• Trendsetter
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2016, 03:32:30 pm »
This is good except for Sentence 1 where I would talking about texts and context, and changing context. Apart from that thought it is good :D

Thanks!! But would you be talking about context in every module?

studybuddy7777

• Forum Leader
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2016, 03:39:33 pm »
Thanks!! But would you be talking about context in every module?

Well no, but seeing as you were using a Mod A example, I used one too.

Mod B would require you to talk about textual integrity
Mod C is all about representation
AoS you just link everything to discovery and the rubric :)

birdwing341

• Trendsetter
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2016, 03:45:00 pm »
Well no, but seeing as you were using a Mod A example, I used one too.

Mod B would require you to talk about textual integrity
Mod C is all about representation
AoS you just link everything to discovery and the rubric :)

Yup just checking and clarifying for some people! Because I see quite a few people talking about context a lot for Mod B and Mod C when it's only a secondary concern. I guess our structures are just kind of an inversion. What do you conclude your introductions with?

studybuddy7777

• Forum Leader
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2016, 03:47:35 pm »
+1
Yup just checking and clarifying for some people! Because I see quite a few people talking about context a lot for Mod B and Mod C when it's only a secondary concern. I guess our structures are just kind of an inversion. What do you conclude your introductions with?

I always conclude my introductions with a sentence that either
a) answers/addresses the question and/or the given quote, stimulus thingy
b) flows on to my first point.
c) or do both  ;D

olliesfield

• Trailblazer
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2016, 10:06:38 am »
Thanks guys!