Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 17, 2024, 09:54:55 am

Author Topic: Subject review requests  (Read 134347 times)  Share 

ninwa

• Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +1021
Re: Subject review requests
« Reply #45 on: January 21, 2014, 04:14:19 pm »
+1
Hi all,

Does anybody know if seminars for the following units are going to be recorded?

ATS2667 Language Across Time
ATS2676 Sociolinguistcs

Thanks in advance!

Monash University Lectures Online (MULO) generally gives a good indication of what subjects typically get recorded or not

(remember that link currently only has semester 2 and summer semester units on there, for semester 1 you'll just have to wait and see or contact the lecturer and ask... but be careful because some lecturers will get annoyed if you ask that because they assume you're just trying to get out of going to class)
ExamPro enquiries to [email protected]

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #46 on: January 21, 2014, 04:15:35 pm »
Thanks, Ninwa. I had a look at MULO but as you say, only Semester 1 units are listed. Thanks for the reply!  :D

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

tae

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
  • School Grad Year: 2013
« Reply #47 on: January 24, 2014, 02:01:53 pm »
Has anyone done the following units:
ATS1279 Media and culture
ATS1280 Communications and society
2012: religion & society
2013: english / health & human dev / chemistry / methods / further
2014: arts/business @ monash

Reckoner

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +60
  • School Grad Year: 2012
« Reply #48 on: January 24, 2014, 10:20:55 pm »
ETC2450 - Applied forecasting for business and economics

Anyone done it, or heard anything about it? It looks up my ally, but haven't heard anything about it and it will muck of most of my many and confusing plans if I try and squeeze it in (damn semester 1 only!).

emchun

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
« Reply #49 on: July 15, 2014, 02:32:33 pm »
MTH1010 - Functions and their applications

I can't do MTH1020 without doing this and I only got a 24 for methods, so I wanted to know the level of difficulty of this unit compared to VCE methods, especially how the exam is compared to the VCE one. Is it much harder?

ATS1301 - Australian physical environments: Evolution, status and management

I'm planning on doing this unit or FIT1029 this semester so I was wondering how this unit is?

slothpomba

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Chief Executive Sloth
  • Respect: +327
« Reply #50 on: July 15, 2014, 06:07:17 pm »
MTH1010 - Functions and their applications

I can't do MTH1020 without doing this and I only got a 24 for methods, so I wanted to know the level of difficulty of this unit compared to VCE methods, especially how the exam is compared to the VCE one. Is it much harder?

I did it, i haven't wrote a review. I probably wont considering i did it semester 1, 2011 and its now semester 2, 2014. I feel i dont remember enough to review it properly. If you search the forums, i have had made numerous long posts on it to people asking about it though.

I was in the exact same position down to the methods score. I wont lie, people struggled, i know people who failed. I only passed myself (didnt work very hard at it though). If you were bad at math the first time, that trend is likely to continue. It sucks to say it but thats just how the world usually works. Not to say you cant dramatically improve given effort but you have to be realistic as well.

Its 2 year method course compressed into 12 weeks, its a bit hectic. Many people failed due to lack of foundations or being bad at math the first time around. There's no hand holding or favours here like in VCE, it's fairly fast and theres no CAS to hold your back (good or bad depending on view).

If you need to do it then do it (i thought i did, wish i didn't). But if you need to do MTH1020, consider how good your math skills really are. Depending on your degree, the math wont go away either, it'll just get harder, if you're not on the ball you'll just fall behind. You really need to look inside yourself and do a realistic assessment. That said, there is no harm in trying it i guess.

I can give you the old unit guide if i can find it (bit outdated by now) and answer any other questions you might have (keeping in mind i did it awhile ago).

ATAR Notes Chat
Philosophy thread
-----
2011-15: Bachelor of Science/Arts (Religious studies) @ Monash Clayton - Majors: Pharmacology, Physiology, Developmental Biology
2016: Bachelor of Science (Honours) - Psychiatry research

keltingmeith

• Honorary Moderator
  • he/him - they is also fine
  • Respect: +1292
« Reply #51 on: July 15, 2014, 06:33:38 pm »
Would love if someone could pull out a review for MTH3241 and MTH3251 before re-enrollment next year. :)

achre

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +72
« Reply #52 on: July 15, 2014, 06:48:15 pm »
I'll jump on this too and say that I would love an ATS1316 - Contemporary Worlds 2 review, if anyone's done it.

Or even a slothpomba style post that just answers these questions three: will I be at much of a disadvantage for either not having done CW1 or not having any sort of history background, and how did you find the assessment?

donkson

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
« Reply #53 on: July 15, 2014, 08:10:30 pm »

ninwa

• Respect: +1021
« Reply #54 on: July 15, 2014, 08:10:50 pm »
+1
I'll jump on this too and say that I would love an ATS1316 - Contemporary Worlds 2 review, if anyone's done it.

Or even a slothpomba style post that just answers these questions three: will I be at much of a disadvantage for either not having done CW1 or not having any sort of history background, and how did you find the assessment?

I did it [redacted] years ago so I'm also not qualified to give a proper review. However
- no you won't be disadvantaged, IIRC there wasn't really any assumed knowledge from CW1
- I didn't have a history background and I HD'd it
- the assessments have probably changed by now but when I did it, it was an essay plus an exam. For the exam, they gave us a few essay topics beforehand, and the exam essay was going to be one of those. It wasn't difficult at all.
ExamPro enquiries to [email protected]

emchun

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
« Reply #55 on: July 15, 2014, 08:22:03 pm »
I did it, i haven't wrote a review. I probably wont considering i did it semester 1, 2011 and its now semester 2, 2014. I feel i dont remember enough to review it properly. If you search the forums, i have had made numerous long posts on it to people asking about it though.

I was in the exact same position down to the methods score. I wont lie, people struggled, i know people who failed. I only passed myself (didnt work very hard at it though). If you were bad at math the first time, that trend is likely to continue. It sucks to say it but thats just how the world usually works. Not to say you cant dramatically improve given effort but you have to be realistic as well.

Its 2 year method course compressed into 12 weeks, its a bit hectic. Many people failed due to lack of foundations or being bad at math the first time around. There's no hand holding or favours here like in VCE, it's fairly fast and theres no CAS to hold your back (good or bad depending on view).

If you need to do it then do it (i thought i did, wish i didn't). But if you need to do MTH1020, consider how good your math skills really are. Depending on your degree, the math wont go away either, it'll just get harder, if you're not on the ball you'll just fall behind. You really need to look inside yourself and do a realistic assessment. That said, there is no harm in trying it i guess.

I can give you the old unit guide if i can find it (bit outdated by now) and answer any other questions you might have (keeping in mind i did it awhile ago).

I don't think I had trouble understanding the concepts learnt in class. I think what really stumped me in the assessments and exams during VCE is all the analysis questions because I didn't understand what the question was asking so I ended not even being able to do the questions even though I probably would have knew. That is really what was troubling me because most of the assessment tasks were all analysis questions which I could barely do while we also had one assessment which was MC and short answer which I did pretty well on. I've read the other topics that talk about MTH1010 but they don't really answer my question. I just really want to know how the assessments and exam are for MTH1010, as in, are the questions all analysis (the questions that have like paragraphs of words)?

IndefatigableLover

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • What kind of shoes do ninjas wear? Sneakers.
  • Respect: +105
« Reply #56 on: July 15, 2014, 08:34:24 pm »
Just wondering if anyone has a review for CHM1011 but from a Year 12 perspective (basically if you've done Uni Chem at Monash then that'd be awesome)! I'm not too sure how different it is to the reviews in the actual thread (whether the reviewer was doing it as a first year or as a Year 12 Student that is).

keltingmeith

• Honorary Moderator
  • he/him - they is also fine
  • Respect: +1292
« Reply #57 on: July 15, 2014, 08:40:42 pm »
+1
Just wondering if anyone has a review for CHM1011 but from a Year 12 perspective (basically if you've done Uni Chem at Monash then that'd be awesome)! I'm not too sure how different it is to the reviews in the actual thread (whether the reviewer was doing it as a first year or as a Year 12 Student that is).

If you're interested in actual content, AFAIK enhancement and the usual CHM1011 are exactly the same. If you're curious about what it's like doing it just as enhancement, the experience would probably be similar to any other enhancement subject, so you could ask anyone who has done an enhancement subject. (last I heard, lots of those at JMSS, hahah. :P)

You could also ask at open day this year - go along and see if you can find Chris Thompson (first year co-ordinator for chem, I'm assuming he'll show up to open day), and see what he notices of the students that do enhancement.

(just putting my two cents here in case no enhancement people are on AN, because I've seen a lot of physics/maths, but barely any chem...)

IndefatigableLover

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • What kind of shoes do ninjas wear? Sneakers.
  • Respect: +105
« Reply #58 on: July 15, 2014, 08:48:02 pm »
If you're interested in actual content, AFAIK enhancement and the usual CHM1011 are exactly the same. If you're curious about what it's like doing it just as enhancement, the experience would probably be similar to any other enhancement subject, so you could ask anyone who has done an enhancement subject. (last I heard, lots of those at JMSS, hahah. :P)

You could also ask at open day this year - go along and see if you can find Chris Thompson (first year co-ordinator for chem, I'm assuming he'll show up to open day), and see what he notices of the students that do enhancement.

(just putting my two cents here in case no enhancement people are on AN, because I've seen a lot of physics/maths, but barely any chem...)
Haha yeah there's quite a few of us doing enhancement subjects (mainly Biology and Maths) but the ones who do Chemistry give me vague answers so it doesn't really help though I haven't asked about other subjects. I have briefly met and spoken to Chris Thompson before (cool guy) so hopefully he rocks up at school or Open Day and I can talk to him there but for now I guess I might have to chase some people >.<

m.Chemia

« Reply #59 on: July 15, 2014, 09:49:08 pm »
I don't think I had trouble understanding the concepts learnt in class. I think what really stumped me in the assessments and exams during VCE is all the analysis questions because I didn't understand what the question was asking so I ended not even being able to do the questions even though I probably would have knew. That is really what was troubling me because most of the assessment tasks were all analysis questions which I could barely do while we also had one assessment which was MC and short answer which I did pretty well on. I've read the other topics that talk about MTH1010 but they don't really answer my question. I just really want to know how the assessments and exam are for MTH1010, as in, are the questions all analysis (the questions that have like paragraphs of words)?

I didn't do MTH1010 but I just had a look at the exam paper. Out of the 6 questions, 3 are purely computation, eg.
Solve or find the inverse of .

And the remaining 3 are word questions. But they are nothing like VCE Maths Methods, but more like Year 10 linear equations sort of word questions.

Eg. A population of birds in a National Park varies in size over a year. The population is at its lowest of 100 in July and rises to a maximum of 1000 in January, then falling again to 100 by the next July. Assuming that the population size is a sinusoidal function of time,
(i) sketch a graph showing how the population varies with time over 2 years. Use the month of July as the starting month; and
(ii) determine a formula for the curve you sketched in part (i).

Hope this helps a little.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 09:50:39 pm by m.mathaholic »