Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 23, 2024, 05:56:40 pm

Author Topic: 5 subjects plus Uni extension workload!  (Read 2554 times)  Share 

The Usual Student

• Forum Leader
  • Wisdom begins in wonder
  • Respect: +24
5 subjects plus Uni extension workload!
« on: May 09, 2015, 12:57:26 am »
Hey!
I am in year 11 right now and i just wanted to ask a few things about MUEP Chemistry. Btw, i am taking uni chem since I really love chemistry and I want to challenge myself but I dont want to drop any subjects I am currently taking.

1) How intense is the workload in uni chemistry? I keep hearing that it is incredibly intensive yet when i ask students who had done it they keep telling me that it is actually a breeze! I get a lot of different opinions so if you could share yours that would be great!
2) You can see my subjects below and I will probs give a go at the UMAT as well so do you think my work load will be intensive?
3) Is it the norm for people to take 5 subjects + Uni extension?

appleandbee

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +200
Re: 5 subjects plus Uni extension workload!
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2015, 02:52:06 pm »
+1
Can't answer the first or second part of the question, but I can help with the third part. It isn't the norm to do 5 subjects+ uni extension in year 12 as most people doing uni extension prefer more free periods at school and normally would do 4 VCEs +uni extension. That's not say it isn't doable though, as I'm doing five subjects +uni myself, I also know two people who did the same thing in the past (one did uni philosophy and the other did uni maths), they both topped their respective units and also achieved a 99.95 atar. It's manageable as long as you are not struggling in one of your VCE subjects. Uni subjects are usually treated like half vce subjects, if you do it, just make sure you do just enough work to keep up with what's covered in the lectures.

Good Luck!  :)
VCE Class of 2015

Studying Anthropology, Philosophy and Biology at Unimelb

grannysmith

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Crisp and juicy.
  • Respect: +66
Re: 5 subjects plus Uni extension workload!
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2015, 03:45:04 pm »
+2
First semester of uni chemistry (CHM1011) involves a lot of new material not found in the VCE course, as one would expect. It's a lot to do with physical chemistry as you go through atomic structure (and the various theories), bonding, thermodynamics, equilibria (which we have just finished) and kinetics. Second semester is organic chem, which by the looks of it, overlaps with VCE more.

The workload is really minimal although a lot of content is covered in a short space of time. There aren't any assignments - only pre-lecture tests and post-lecture tests (the latter of which you get 3 attempts, and the highest score is taken) and none of which are timed. They're done online and open book; each test should only take ~10 mins.

The exam is in a month-or-so and although I'm nowhere near ready, past students have told me that they literally crammed everything a few days before the exam and still managed to pull HDs. Hopefully this is true haha.

I think as long as you're not so serious about the subject, it shouldn't require too much effort. It's a bottom two subject after all. But I suppose if there's no reason other than for interest's sake, then maybe doing a uni subject IS going to add to the year's workload considering you'll already be undertaking five.

Personally, I chose to do an extension subject because a) I wasn't keen on doing VCE Physics 3/4 b) I wanted to do a subject more interesting than a VCE subject could offer c) free periods are nice

The best thing you could do is apply, get accepted and just try the program for a couple months and then decide whether you'd like to continue or not. Payments are due a couple months in so if you decide it's not right for you, then you can easily withdraw without incurring any fees.

Hope this helps!