Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 03:28:00 am

Author Topic: Are you ready for back to school? 🙋  (Read 5441 times)  Share 

ashmi

• MOTM: June 20
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Living an illusion
  • Respect: +660
Re: Are you ready for back to school? 🙋
« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2020, 08:13:51 am »
Whats PDT? Where are you going for yr 12 camp? I can definitely relate to not wanting to wake up early!

PDT (Product Design and Technology) is pretty much a folio subject (similar to Viscom) where you find a problem and solve it with a 3D object. For my project, my problem is one of my friends is attending a gaming event and would like to cosplay to it, which I'm making her full costume for her. You can make anything you want (clothes, weapons, furniture you name it!) and there is quite a lot of freedom of what you choose to focus on!

For Yr 12 camp, we are going to Federation university in Ballarat. I'm not too sure what we will be doing there but it definitely will be a great bonding session!

What do you think your least fav subject will be J_Rho and why? Do you have some goals that you want to achieve outside school this year? ;D

J_Rho

• MOTM: MARCH 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +756
« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2020, 08:47:53 am »
+2
PDT (Product Design and Technology) is pretty much a folio subject (similar to Viscom) where you find a problem and solve it with a 3D object. For my project, my problem is one of my friends is attending a gaming event and would like to cosplay to it, which I'm making her full costume for her. You can make anything you want (clothes, weapons, furniture you name it!) and there is quite a lot of freedom of what you choose to focus on!

For Yr 12 camp, we are going to Federation university in Ballarat. I'm not too sure what we will be doing there but it definitely will be a great bonding session!

What do you think your least fav subject will be J_Rho and why? Do you have some goals that you want to achieve outside school this year? ;D
Oh wow that subject sounds very fun! It great you have the opportunity to visit a university during Year 12. I think my least favourite subject will be HHD as I chose it as it was the only subject that I could do, other than business which I really hate. I have a little bit of interest in the subject but I'm not a fan of the teacher so we'll see.
I have some goals regarding work and SES which I've put in spoilers below with regards to work I've achieved 2 of my 2020 goals which is fantastic and hopefully by the end of the year I'll have acheived all my goals!
Work Goals
- Become a customer service officer ✔
- Train 1 new party instructor ✔
- Become an infants teacher
- Become a DM

SES Goals
- Get deployed ✔
- Become part of the Regional Swift Water Rescue Crew
- Attain my Certificate III in Public Saftey (Need Chainsaw, Crew Leader and Road Rescue certification)
- Attend all training and incidents (that I'm qualified for and when I'm available)
2-year goal
- Become a deputy controller of juniors

Do you have any school/outside of school goals? Do you do any extracurriculars?
— VCE —
English 30, Further Maths 33, Biology 33, Legal Studies 27, Psychology 32

— University —
Bachelor of Nursing @ Monash
Bachelor of Counselling & Psychological Science @ ACAP

Ionic Doc

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +212
« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2020, 10:02:20 am »
@J_Rho are you a lifeguard/swim instructor?
2019/2020 - Psychology | Biology | Chemistry | Methods | Further | English
2021 - Science @ Melbourne University

J_Rho

• Forum Leader
« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2020, 10:46:37 am »
+2
@J_Rho are you a lifeguard/swim instructor?

Yep! Sure am! Do you have a job? If so what do you do?
— VCE —

— University —

Ionic Doc

• Forum Leader
« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2020, 01:51:31 pm »
Yep! Sure am! Do you have a job? If so what do you do?

I worked at KFC and Red Rooster throughout the whole of year 10. Got fired from Red Rooster at the end of year 10. Continued working with KFC a little bit into year 11 then decided to quit cause I wasn't able to handle school/job/sports.

Although I'm planning on being a lifeguard/swim instructor after year 12 as well.  :D   

J_Rho

• Forum Leader
« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2020, 02:08:11 pm »
I worked at KFC and Red Rooster throughout the whole of year 10. Got fired from Red Rooster at the end of year 10. Continued working with KFC a little bit into year 11 then decided to quit cause I wasn't able to handle school/job/sports.

Although I'm planning on being a lifeguard/swim instructor after year 12 as well.  :D

What sports do you play? Also if you have any questions about either of those jobs, the qualifications etc don't hesitate to ask! I have lots of useful tips, and things to share
What sparked your interest in the industry?
— VCE —

— University —

Jimmmy

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +154
« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2020, 04:18:37 pm »
+1
Super Keen!

Oh..... :-[
2018 - 2019 (VCE): English Language, Maths Methods, Legal Studies, Global Politics, Business Management (2018), Philosophy
2020 - 2024: Bachelor of Laws (Honours)/Bachelor of Commerce @ Monash University

Ionic Doc

• Forum Leader
« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2020, 04:25:06 pm »
What sports do you play? Also if you have any questions about either of those jobs, the qualifications etc don't hesitate to ask! I have lots of useful tips, and things to share
What sparked your interest in the industry?

yeah I’m a swimmer, although I stoped competitive swimming bout 2 years ago, I just train now. Most of the fellow older swimmers I trained with went on to working as lifeguards while studying at uni as well, so just sorta following them..
Some tips would be great, thanks.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2020, 03:31:19 pm by Ionic Doc »

J_Rho

• Forum Leader
« Reply #38 on: January 26, 2020, 08:04:13 pm »
+3
Ah yeah I’m a swimmer, although I stoped competitive swimming bout 2 years ago, I just train now. Most of the fellow older swimmers I trained with went on to working as lifeguards while studying as uni as well, so just sorta following them..
Some tips would be great, thanks.
Lifeguarding is a really good job especially if you will be going away to uni, the Y are especially good at accommodating peoples availability which is such a big perk especially if you are used to kinda shitty fast food chains where they dont really care.
You will need to do your 'Pool Lifeguard Skillset', which teaches you the skills you need to perform a rescue HOWEVER this course generally doesnt run through scenarios to any extent so think of it as your toolbox and when there is a rescue you use the tools most suited to the situation to perform the rescue. Its all pretty straight forward, you learn to administer oxygen, use spinal equipment, and tow people. There is also a 200m swim in under 6 minutes but given you use to swim competitively you should be able to do that super easy. the legal side of it puts some people off but if someone drowns you have to go to the coroner's court and they decide whether you were negligent and caused the death through that. I haven't had any experience with privately-owned facilities but the YMCA is extremely flexible in like every aspect - you don't have to have 'amazing' availabilites to get a job, you can transer super easily, and internal recruitment is chill; my centre advertised for swim teaching I told the swimming teacher coordinator and shes said awesome go do your course asap and we'll start you doing some shadowing, i did that got accredited signed my letter of offer and i was a swim teacher, same thing with customer service i was like hey can i learn customer service and the frontline leader was like Ummm yes! and i got a shadow shift the next day and at the end of my shadow i received my letter of offer (this was like 5 days ago) and Im already rostered on for a heap of customer service shifts!
I think you've got the point, its flexible as all hell, and hence why its an appealing job for uni students especially when your base rate (as a casual) is $28 an hour.
Swim teaching you need to do you AUSTSWIM Teacher of swimming and water safety and you can't get accredited till you've been signed off as a competent teacher (kinda like your L's but the hours isnt set) this job is a lot more regular tho, so you need to be prepared to basically work a particular day/s every week like forever, obvs you can change your days to an extent but its not as flexible
If you want I can email you some of the swim teacher pre & post-course resources i have
— VCE —

— University —

da_coolest1

• Trailblazer
  • oof
  • Respect: +8
« Reply #39 on: January 30, 2020, 06:09:00 pm »
+1
What are you doing for the school production? What subject is your favourite? Surely school captain isnt decided by your peers/popularity?

I'm not quite sure about production. They haven't announced what it'll be yet. I think Methods or Indo would be my favourite because Chem and Bio is just a lot. And to be school captain you have to go through the nomination process and get elected in by the student body... well for my school at least. I've tried to go for executive roles in the SRC before but I didn't get enough votes so yeah.
2020: Methods
2021: Chemistry | Biology | Indonesian SL | English | Australian/Global Politics

forever sleep deprived

J_Rho

• Forum Leader
« Reply #40 on: January 31, 2020, 09:26:31 am »
+3
For those who went back to school this week, how are you feeling??
— VCE —

— University —

Ionic Doc

• Forum Leader
« Reply #41 on: January 31, 2020, 05:23:32 pm »

Well, I had school today and it was pretty chill - had Bio and English. Also had two year 7 buddies to take care of and I think i did a pretty good job cause there settling in pretty well. Just feels like another school day, to be frank.  :)

The only thing that bothered everyone was the weather. People were just non- stop sweating like crazyy. It got to like a top of 44 ~ here. Not fun.  >:(

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +1536
« Reply #42 on: January 31, 2020, 05:29:32 pm »
+1

Exhausted.
Have been heavily involved this week with Year 7 first days so been very hectic.
Experience in teaching at both secondary and tertiary levels.

website // new forum profile

J_Rho

• Forum Leader
« Reply #43 on: February 01, 2020, 02:36:53 pm »
+2
Exhausted.
Have been heavily involved this week with Year 7 first days so been very hectic.
I imagine that would be tough but satisfying? Are you keen or dreading next week?

Well, I had school today and it was pretty chill - had Bio and English. Also had two year 7 buddies to take care of and I think i did a pretty good job cause there settling in pretty well. Just feels like another school day, to be frank.  :)

The only thing that bothered everyone was the weather. People were just non- stop sweating like crazyy. It got to like a top of 44 ~ here. Not fun.  >:(
Wow thats so cool you're helping the year sevens!! At my school its the year 10's job to look after the year 7s.
Yes! it was so hot, and I had school phots and everyone was sweating like crazy. Got much of next week?
— VCE —

— University —