Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 24, 2024, 11:37:41 pm

Author Topic: Reconciling equations for Gravitational Potential Energy  (Read 763 times)  Share 

louisaaa01

• MOTM: NOV 19
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +33
Reconciling equations for Gravitational Potential Energy
« on: November 08, 2019, 08:50:50 am »
Hi all,

So, in Physics, we are taught two equations for gravitational potential energy:

U = mgh, assuming that the gravitational field is constant, and

U = -GMm/r

Now, I've come across numerous questions in textbooks and Trial papers which say something to the effect: "If the orbital radius of a satellite is doubled, what happens to gravitational potential energy?". Using the first equation, you can conclude that gravitational potential energy doubles. However, for the second equation, since U is inversely proportional to r, this implies that U will actually halve (though this still ends up being an increase as U becomes less negative). Yet, most, if not all solutions I've seen to such questions (most often multiple choice), will align with the former - radius doubles, gravitational potential energy increases by a factor of 2.

How can we reconcile these two equations? Which one is correct?

Any assistance is very much appreciated!
2019 ATAR: 99.95

2020 - 2026

USYD BSci / Doctor of Medicine

DrDusk

• NSW MVP - 2019
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +130
Re: Reconciling equations for Gravitational Potential Energy
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2019, 07:25:51 pm »
+4
Hi all,

So, in Physics, we are taught two equations for gravitational potential energy:

U = mgh, assuming that the gravitational field is constant, and

U = -GMm/r

Now, I've come across numerous questions in textbooks and Trial papers which say something to the effect: "If the orbital radius of a satellite is doubled, what happens to gravitational potential energy?". Using the first equation, you can conclude that gravitational potential energy doubles. However, for the second equation, since U is inversely proportional to r, this implies that U will actually halve (though this still ends up being an increase as U becomes less negative). Yet, most, if not all solutions I've seen to such questions (most often multiple choice), will align with the former - radius doubles, gravitational potential energy increases by a factor of 2.

How can we reconcile these two equations? Which one is correct?

Any assistance is very much appreciated!
If you do get a question asking you this, pay attention to the relative magnitude of the radius 'r'. As a general rule IF 'r' is relatively small so for example if the object ball or whatever is still inside the Earths atmosphere, use the formula U = mgh. Otherwise if it is orbiting it is INCORRECT to use the formula U = mgh.

I must stress that because any trial paper or textbook that uses U = mgh and gives you a scenario where the satellite is orbiting is giving you a flawed question. If you get it in your trial paper and your teacher deducts a mark you can argue for that mark because you are correct. In the HSC if they give you a satellite in orbit and say it's radius doubles, you will have to use the latter.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2019, 07:27:39 pm by DrDusk »

louisaaa01

• MOTM: NOV 19
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +33
Re: Reconciling equations for Gravitational Potential Energy
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2019, 07:56:31 pm »
+1
If you do get a question asking you this, pay attention to the relative magnitude of the radius 'r'. As a general rule IF 'r' is relatively small so for example if the object ball or whatever is still inside the Earths atmosphere, use the formula U = mgh. Otherwise if it is orbiting it is INCORRECT to use the formula U = mgh.

I must stress that because any trial paper or textbook that uses U = mgh and gives you a scenario where the satellite is orbiting is giving you a flawed question. If you get it in your trial paper and your teacher deducts a mark you can argue for that mark because you are correct. In the HSC if they give you a satellite in orbit and say it's radius doubles, you will have to use the latter.

This is very helpful, thank you!
2019 ATAR: 99.95

2020 - 2026

USYD BSci / Doctor of Medicine