Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 19, 2024, 03:01:36 pm

Author Topic: Is the content as a year 11 or 12 hard to understand?  (Read 1794 times)

captinsooksookbear

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Is the content as a year 11 or 12 hard to understand?
« on: October 24, 2017, 05:46:31 pm »
As a Year 10 student, did you ever worry about not understanding or keeping up with your subjects in VCE? I'm in Year 10 this year starting VCE soon  ;D
« Last Edit: November 25, 2017, 02:40:37 pm by captinsooksookbear »

zofromuxo

• Forum Leader
  • Everything you want is on the other side of Fear
  • Respect: +203
Re: Is the content as a year 11 or 12 hard to understand?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2017, 05:55:41 pm »
As a Year 10 student, did you ever worry about not understanding or keeping up with your subjects in VCE? I'm in year 10 and I don't know how people do it
When I did Geography Year 11 as the only Year 10 student I was scared. Like really worried I couldn't keep up for the subject, that the Year 11's wouldn't like me and that could the new Geography VCE teacher help at all.

But everything turned out fine. Why? Because I asked for help from my fellow peers and teachers.
So my advice is ask for help from your seniors and teacher, they will most likely help you because it will help them as well.

As for keeping up with my subjects, I managed. There were of course, where I stress about it. But I perserved with my set timetable, self-disciplined and the occasional help from my teachers.

So don't worry too much about it. Also you are using something that I didn't. ATARNotes. Here we have tons of threads helping you with all facets of VCE from managing a social life, to subjects to university life. You have it all. So don't worry about it too much.

Trust yourself.
Jack of all trades, master of none.
Hence why i'm in all these different threads and boards.

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • They/them/theirs
  • Respect: +3102
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2017, 09:57:29 pm »
+5
I did 3/4 psychology as a year 10, meaning I did 1/2 in year 9. I found that the change in effort required moving from a year 11 subject to a year 12 was larger than the change from year 10 to year 11. I ended up not doing as well in Psych as I would have liked due to this.
In terms of keeping up it just requires time - if you can't/won't do it at home either stay back at school (preferably somewhere intimidating so you are scared to not study) or go to a library as you are less likely to get distracted there. For understanding like Zofromuxo said ask us or bombard your teacher with questions - that's what they're getting paid for - or do both :)

Also some advice - if there's a subject you hate to the point where you're avoiding thinking about it you're better off studying for another subject than doing nothing to avoid it, you do have to do it eventually but I found myself avoiding all my homework because I knew English was due first and I didn't want to do it - not a good way to go.

Also find what time works best for you, you might study best at night but you may be better off going to bed early and waking up early to study - I find that if I have to be awake early then I'm not going to waste the time procrastinating (I don't like being awake early lol.)
2019: B. Environment and Sustainability/B. Science @ ANU
2020: Just Vibing
2021: B. Paramedicine/B. Nursing @ ACU Canberra

AnnieL

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +10
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2017, 04:37:38 pm »
+5
As a Year 10 student, did you ever worry about not understanding or keeping up with your subjects in VCE? I'm in year 10 and I don't know how people do it

Hey there! I know it can seem daunting, but as you go, I'm sure you'll find that you're ok with it! One of the main things to do is to make sure you're understanding the content as you go, before you move on to other topics. If you're not understanding something, then definitely make sure you ask someone for help - teachers are great because they have to know the content to teach it to you! If you find that you're not understanding certain explanations, try other sources as well. What you have done in the lead up to VCE subjects is going to prepare you for the content that comes! Hope this gives you a bit of confidence in it! :)