Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 02:28:50 am

Author Topic: Maths Extension 2 Discussion 2017  (Read 31610 times)

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
Re: Maths Extension 2 Discussion 2017
« Reply #60 on: October 24, 2017, 11:37:50 am »
He said 82-83 aligned haha.
Oh.

Reversing it probably something around 65 to be safe?
What do you think a raw mark of 88 or 85 will get you around?
88 should hopefully go up to 95 or 96. 85 maybe 93 or 94

JoinedAfterPaper1

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #61 on: October 24, 2017, 12:33:30 pm »
Estimated cut off?

also what will raw marks of 70-82 get me, thanks!

atangirala1

• Adventurer
  • I love HSC
« Reply #62 on: October 24, 2017, 12:51:36 pm »
A 90+ raw in this paper say 91 will scale up to what hsc mark?
Struggling with HSC? Tutoring is offered for Maths EX2, Maths EX1, Physics, Chemistry, Standard English and Studies Of Religion 1
I’m just a message away !

tripat23

• Adventurer
« Reply #63 on: October 24, 2017, 01:06:03 pm »
what do you think a raw mark of 78-79 would scale up to ? and would my classes marks affect me if i ranked first internally?

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #64 on: October 24, 2017, 01:12:10 pm »
Estimated cut off?

also what will raw marks of 70-82 get me, thanks!
See opening post for the estimated cutoffs. 70 should hopefully scrape the E4.

82 might go to 92 or 93?

A 90+ raw in this paper say 91 will scale up to what hsc mark?

91 raw should be around 96

what do you think a raw mark of 78-79 would scale up to ? and would my classes marks affect me if i ranked first internally?
92 ish

Nah. If you came first in the internals you're completely immune to moderation

Natmo243

• Adventurer
« Reply #65 on: October 24, 2017, 03:13:41 pm »
Any idea what a 23 raw will get me? (Besides not very far 😔)
HSC 2017: English Advanced (85), Maths Ext 1 (80), Maths Ext 2 (70), Chemistry (89)
HSC 2016: Information & Digital Technology VET: 91
4th in state IDT VET
ATAR: 93.60
Currently Studying: Bachelor of Mathematics at UON

beau77bro

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #66 on: October 24, 2017, 08:12:49 pm »
when will the actual exam paper be posted

Wales

• MOTM: JUN 2017
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #67 on: October 24, 2017, 09:05:40 pm »
when will the actual exam paper be posted

It's already up. I think on the first page.
Heavy Things :(

beau77bro

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #68 on: October 24, 2017, 09:55:50 pm »
It's already up. I think on the first page.
wait where? i mean the actual hsc exam paper with questions.

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #69 on: October 24, 2017, 10:04:35 pm »
Any idea what a 23 raw will get me? (Besides not very far 😔)
Fairly sure you got way more than this. That's an extremely harsh underestimate you're giving yourself.
wait where? i mean the actual hsc exam paper with questions.
Whenever NESA chooses to upload them.

(Generally, they've been pretty fast this year so hopefully they will be out within the next 1-3 days. However, we will not endorse distributions of copies of the exam due to copyright concerns this year.)

beau77bro

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #70 on: October 24, 2017, 10:31:25 pm »
Fairly sure you got way more than this. That's an extremely harsh underestimate you're giving yourself.Whenever NESA chooses to upload them.

(Generally, they've been pretty fast this year so hopefully they will be out within the next 1-3 days. However, we will not endorse distributions of copies of the exam due to copyright concerns this year.)

thanks rui! fair enough, u guys have done so much for me and so many people on this forum. thankyou for all ur 4u help this year. it has made a markable impact on my mark and jsut made everything so much easier. u guys do a great job and i appreciate u all.

btw how does one even state rank in 4u, let alone come first. really confused coz people keep talking about state ranks but idek how that works - from QLD originally. i think i got between 95-98, and i know its early but would that mark merit scaling wise? and what would you need to state rank?
« Last Edit: October 24, 2017, 10:32:58 pm by beau77bro »

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #71 on: October 25, 2017, 09:25:58 am »
thanks rui! fair enough, u guys have done so much for me and so many people on this forum. thankyou for all ur 4u help this year. it has made a markable impact on my mark and jsut made everything so much easier. u guys do a great job and i appreciate u all.

btw how does one even state rank in 4u, let alone come first. really confused coz people keep talking about state ranks but idek how that works - from QLD originally. i think i got between 95-98, and i know its early but would that mark merit scaling wise? and what would you need to state rank?
Glad we were able to help :D Best of luck in what's left

I've met a few math state rankers before in my degree at uni. Generally, a state ranking student gets a reported (i.e. aligned) mark of 100 or 99, because math exams are generally designed so that exceptionally high marks are achievable. A student who looks to state rank would need at least a raw mark of 97 (and maybe even higher).

Only 10 state ranks are offered for 4U every year, so it's also fiercely competitive.

beau77bro

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #72 on: October 25, 2017, 09:33:33 am »
Glad we were able to help :D Best of luck in what's left

I've met a few math state rankers before in my degree at uni. Generally, a state ranking student gets a reported (i.e. aligned) mark of 100 or 99, because math exams are generally designed so that exceptionally high marks are achievable. A student who looks to state rank would need at least a raw mark of 97 (and maybe even higher).

Only 10 state ranks are offered for 4U every year, so it's also fiercely competitive.

oh damnnnnnnnn only 10? is that different to other courses?

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #73 on: October 25, 2017, 09:36:08 am »
oh damnnnnnnnn only 10? is that different to other courses?
Larger courses have 20

Natmo243

• Adventurer
« Reply #74 on: October 25, 2017, 09:47:58 am »
Fairly sure you got way more than this. That's an extremely harsh underestimate you're giving yourself.

I might be, but I made some careless errors which I wasn't able to spot in the exam, and quite a few questions intimidated me so I naturally skipped them. Not to mention the fact that many questions were broken down, and sometimes if i couldn't get the first part I'd have to skip the rest (the partial fractions question for example).Hopefully I underestimated my self a bit.
 Due to the fact that my class ended up rushing through most of the year (especially due to the fact that we started about halfway into term 4 and lost our original teacher a few weeks before half yearlies) hasn't helped much and cut into time which we could've used to learn how to approach some of the harder questions asked in the HSC. Also, we only have had 2 lessons a week to cover the basics which made the entire course all the more difficult. I don't know if its worth, or how to appeal for the fact that we started late and changed teachers throughout the year as I'm likely going to need some extra marks.
I personally think the most demoralizing thing is that our trial was nowhere near as difficult as any HSC exam, leading me to believe that what we were doing was sufficient, but when I started doing past papers I was in for a rude shock. I managed to do as far back as 2010 with what knowledge I had, but the best mark out of all of them I could get was 46% in the 2016 paper. When they decided to change it up this year, I absolutely crashed. I am first in assessment at the moment, so hopefully that should help me a bit with alignment.
I'm honestly glad to see that everyone did really well in such a weird paper, but I'm worrying that will go against me.
HSC 2017: English Advanced (85), Maths Ext 1 (80), Maths Ext 2 (70), Chemistry (89)
HSC 2016: Information & Digital Technology VET: 91
4th in state IDT VET
ATAR: 93.60
Currently Studying: Bachelor of Mathematics at UON