Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 19, 2024, 06:28:24 pm

Author Topic: Help with Proofs + Tips  (Read 2284 times)  Share 

pha0015

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +8
Help with Proofs + Tips
« on: July 03, 2017, 10:06:06 pm »
I'm having difficulty identifying the components to set up an equation for proofs e.g. prove _____ is a prime number, you'll have to factorise it to equal 1 and -1.
Is there any easy way of figuring these types of problems out or do you have to familiarise yourself with different examples? If so, could you list some common types of proofs that require a deeper understanding?

As for geometric proofs, is it ok to just figure out any angle/sides and then work to figure out the shape, and then figure out how to prove that the shape is so and so? This method seems to be working so far, but it seems a bit lengthy but I don't get a full understanding until the very end.

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
Re: Help with Proofs + Tips
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2017, 05:16:51 am »
+1
I'm having difficulty identifying the components to set up an equation for proofs e.g. prove _____ is a prime number, you'll have to factorise it to equal 1 and -1.
Is there any easy way of figuring these types of problems out or do you have to familiarise yourself with different examples? If so, could you list some common types of proofs that require a deeper understanding?

As for geometric proofs, is it ok to just figure out any angle/sides and then work to figure out the shape, and then figure out how to prove that the shape is so and so? This method seems to be working so far, but it seems a bit lengthy but I don't get a full understanding until the very end.
Generally spec proofs mainly are geometric vector proofs.

As a general rule it is acceptable to assume everything given in the question is required to solve the proof.

With angle sort of questions what you are doing is fine but I believe atleast some sort of reason i.e. alternating angles etc

For shapes you need to learn what is the minimum amount you need to show for the proof. Common mistake is to waste too much time and prove too much.

I.e. for a parallelogram all you need to show is two parallel (opposite) sides of equal length

Always use words if you arent sure how to express something mathematically!

The first few proofs you listed are more competiton math questions rather than spec exam questions.

HINT: in the spec study design there are multiple proofs listed out you need to know these ones 100% (i think one of these is each median line in a triangle intersect at a single point - tricky if you dont know what you are doing/havent seen it before)

Hope this helps :)