Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 05:42:50 am

Author Topic: study techniques  (Read 1122 times)  Share 

kjistsehrtot

• Trendsetter
  • pew pew. (>‿◠)
  • Respect: +60
study techniques
« on: July 23, 2019, 06:29:36 pm »
+2
hey guys i just wanted to ask what your favourite study technique and why. im gonna try some new study techniques before vce to see where my current one sort of stands. thanks <33
taking a break.

caffinatedloz

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +856
Re: study techniques
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2019, 06:40:30 pm »
+5
- The Pomodoro Method has been a favourite of mine, though I make every third break 20 minutes.

- Writing out a list of tasks to get done during the day, and completing each in a different location, taking only what is required. Do one in the school library that morning, one at the kitchen table, one at your desk ect. A change of scenery sometimes helps on days I'm particularly unmotivated.

- If I can't concentrate, I do a 3-5 minute workout. There are some great ones on YouTube. I then sit down and I'm a lot more relaxed.

- Reading my notes aloud or going through the study design or revision sheet and discussing each point aloud.

- I've also wanted to try this for a while, but never have.

Best of luck! ;D

r1ckworthy

• NSW MVP - 2019
  • HSC Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +305
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2019, 08:18:40 pm »
+5
Hey! Here's a bit of an old post I wrote that covered study techniques. Hope it helps!

You need to know how to study for a subject to actually study for a subject. Obvious, right? Not to me. Far too often I will realise the best way of studying for a particular exam three days before the exam! So, as soon as possible, right down on how you will study for each subject.

However, so you choose to do, try to centre it around active recall. Basically, active recall is just anything to do with making your brain put effort into remembering something. Below are some videos and articles to help you learn how to do maximise your study time.

Part 1 of a video on how to effectively study for exams by Ali Abdaal.
Part 2 of the above video.
Another study guide by Anaas Nuur Ali, super helpful.
Something a bit more specific by Ali Abdaal on approaching new content. Super good.
A guide on how to do super well in all your HSC subjects
A guide on how to memorise content.
A guide on different stages of study.
A complete database of all ATARnotes articles. Super awesome if you are tracking for some specific advice.
HSC 2019: English Advanced || Mathematics || Mathematics Extension 1 || Physics || Chemistry || Science Extension || Ancient History ||

Bachelor of Physiotherapy @ ACU

The Yr12 journey- a diary I "hope" to update... || Halfway through Year 12... lessons I've learned so far. || Check out my youtube channel!

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2019, 04:46:56 pm »
+4
For content-heavy subjects, I loved summaries. Trying to get an entire topic onto one page, and then half a page, and then a paragraph etc. was rewarding for me for a few reasons:

(1) Provided an easy method of revision - could give the summaries to somebody else who hasn't even studied the subject and be tested.
(2) Improved writing skills.
(3) Made me really think about what was the most important stuff and how it all linked together!

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

sara.vce

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2019, 06:19:01 pm »
+1
--> I find "podcasts" are super useful - you can just type up a summary of your topic and then read it out loud and record it. Then you can listen to your "podcast" on the train or before going to sleep.
--> Mindmaps! I make mindmaps for EVERYTHING  ::)
--> Lotus Diagrams - they're pretty cool and kind of under-rated
(you can read more about them here if you like --> https://chamomileandcolour.wordpress.com/2019/07/04/the-lotus-diagram/)

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2019, 06:24:52 pm »
+1
I loved doing heaps of practice questions & teaching others. Sometimes I would even do exam questions on topics I hadn't learnt yet