Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 09:26:10 am

Author Topic: Brewing Positivi-Tea (melberry's HSC journey)  (Read 11863 times)

melberry

• Trailblazer
  • 自分の夢を追いかけろ
  • Respect: +30
Re: Brewing Positivi-Tea (melberry's HSC journey)
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2019, 02:21:43 pm »
+4
It's about 19 hours until my second last exam of the HSC, and I'm suddenly having doubts.

For those who aren't familiar, I've been set on getting into Public Comms and BCII at UTS since mid Year 11. This was a switch made in the midst of Year 11, after wanting to do Visual Comms and BCII since Year 9. Part of the reason I made the switch was that I figured that getting artblocked half the time during uni wouldn't be a very fun experience, hence sticking to a more literate and less visual type of design would be better for me.

Herein lies my predicament - I'm not sure if convincing myself to change from Vis Comms to Public Comms was the best idea. I didn't have a great experience in VA in Year 11 and discontinued it in Year 12, but Vis Comms still feels like something I would like to pursue. However, under HSC pressure, I am unable to tell if my worries are a form of procrastination, or because deep down I know changing my mind was running away from difficulties.

I realise that this is probably not the appropriate time to worry about such things, and that I literally can worry about this in three days once this is over, but the thought has been nagging at me for some time, so I thought I should record it here.

Dear me three days from now: congrats, you've done your best. Get some rest.

Positivitea for the day: Just a little over a week until the HSC period is over for everyone.
2017: Information Processes and Technology
2019: 4U Math, 3U English, Japanese, Economics
ATAR: 94.85

melberry

• Trailblazer
  • 自分の夢を追いかけろ
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2019, 06:23:44 pm »
+8
What's up people :D Hope you're having a good weekend.

It's all over! I finished my last exam three days ago, and pretty much spent the rest of the day chilling out. I think economics went pretty well, so I'm crossing my fingers the markers think so too haha.

I've spent the past two days reorganising my room. Slightly ironic that I'm cleaning my room after HSC rather than before, but hey, it's therapeutic.

Question for people who stop by: Do you guys prefer hand written notes or typed notes?
I suppose there's pros and cons for both, but clearing out my room and organising things into piles to keep and recycle made me realise that we use a lot of paper throughout the six years of high school. Whether it's from your own notes, school handouts, practice exams, tutoring, etc, it's a little disheartening to have to discard a pile of papers that is literally as big as a chest of drawers. I know recycling it reduces waste, but even so, it's a little scary, don't you think?

I'm almost done cleaning my room (still have to sort through economics notes but that's about it), and then afterwards I'm going to finish the "To Do After HSC" list that I have.

I'll still be on this thread until my HSC results come out, so if you pop in, feel free to say hello or chat :D

Good luck to all the people who have an exam on Monday, you've got this!

Positivitea for the day: Doing something that makes you smile a genuine smile is something worth pursuing.

avocadinq

• MOTM: FEB 19
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +44
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2019, 07:28:43 pm »
+5
Hey melberry, so glad that the hsc exams are finally over and I'm glad that you are taking time to relax - the marie kondo way haha.

In regards to your question, I do prefer handwritten notes because it doesn't strain your eyes as much and the feeling of writing on paper. However, I'm not sure if i'll be able to keep this up in university as most of the learning is from lectures which tend to be fast. I definitely agree with the whole wasting paper and am currently looking for better ways to reduce waste while taking handwritten notes.

Do you have any plans post hsc?
HSC 2019 | chemistry, english advanced, mathematics, mathematics ext 1, modern history and legal studies
For more study inspiration, check out my studygram! @quadrtics

katie,rinos

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1151
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2019, 08:13:33 pm »
+4
Congrats on finishing HSC!!  ;D

I haven't done too many notes at uni, but I definitely prefer them typed-I find it easier to change things and work on them on the train.

What type of things are on your To Do After HSC" list? :)
Class of 2017 (Year 12): Advanced English, General Maths, Legal Studies, Music 1, Ancient History, History Extension, Hospitality
2018-2022: B Music/B Education (Secondary) [UNSW]

melberry

• Trailblazer
  • 自分の夢を追いかけろ
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2019, 03:41:01 pm »
+4
I definitely agree with the whole wasting paper and am currently looking for better ways to reduce waste while taking handwritten notes.

Do you have any plans post hsc?

My method for high school was to type notes during fast lessons and rewrite concise versions at home to help memorise them, but please if you figure out a better way to reduce waste and handwrite notes let me know :D

I do have several plans now that HSC season is officially over for everyone in a few hours. This week is going to be hectic as I am catching up with old friends and primary school mates almost every day, and then at the end of the month I'm going to be travelling interstate with a few school friends. It was a spontaneously planned trip spawned from 8pm tears and the desire to not study for math prior to the HSC, so I'm sure everything will be alright ;)

In regards to December, I hope to get a Christmas job, but otherwise I don't have many plans since most people are overseas with their family. I do have one Christmas party, full of family, friends, food and fun (the only Fs I will accept in life) so that's going to be pretty cool.

Do you have any plans?

Congrats on finishing HSC!!  ;D

I haven't done too many notes at uni, but I definitely prefer them typed-I find it easier to change things and work on them on the train.

What type of things are on your To Do After HSC" list? :)

Thank you!

I suppose it also depends on how the course is structured, and whether it will call for notes or more "logs" on practical assignments ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

My lengthy To Do list has been culled since the end of my HSC mostly because my parents have convinced me that it's not a good idea to do things like reliving my childhood by binge-watching all 26 seasons of Power Rangers, so it goes as follows:

• Take Auslan classes
  • Sell/donate things that do not spark joy
  • Bible study
  • Learn to use watercolour without destroying the paper
  • Go to the Botanical gardens
  • Finish reading the stack of 30+ novels I haven't read yet (one novel per day)

I'm interested to hear if other people have a post-HSC to do list that they're starting to complete now :D

Until next time,
melberry

Positivitea for the day: As of this post, #teamtrees has raised $14,703,433 in less than a month, meaning that we will probably have 20 million more trees planted in the earth by 2020. I think that's pretty cool :D

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2019, 08:27:20 am »
+3
Now that I have a laptop where I can write on the screen I annotate lecture slides that way with small amounts of typed text so I can use the search function to find topics.

In terms of paper use,  if you can buy books made from recycled paper that's a step in the right direction :)

Enjoy your holidays!

caffinatedloz

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +856
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2019, 06:13:14 am »
+2
  • Take Auslan classes
  • Sell/donate things that do not spark joy
  • Bible study
  • Learn to use watercolour without destroying the paper
  • Go to the Botanical gardens
  • Finish reading the stack of 30+ novels I haven't read yet (one novel per day)
CONGRATULATIONS!!!How good does being done feel?!

Sounds very similar to my post exam plans! What interested you about Auslan? I started learning about two and a half years ago and it really is a beautiful language. ;D

I've been slowly KonMari-ing my bedroom and it is life changing!

I love watercolour; but all I paint is flowers. Do you have something in particular you like to paint? If you're destroying the paper, you could try really gentle strokes, slightly less water and only going over each area once (or possibly twice as needed). Also, I got an illustrating bible and have been sticking in my watercolours and doing calligraphy in the extra-wide margins and it has been very fun and helpful! Have you ever thought about doing something similar?

As soon as exams are done, a friend and I are spending a day in the Royal Botanic Gardens (and possibly also Flagstaff Gardens) in Melbourne.

Which books are in your stack? (I also have a TBR list longer than I could ever possibly get through.)

melberry

• Trailblazer
  • 自分の夢を追いかけろ
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2019, 11:05:52 pm »
+2
CONGRATULATIONS!!!How good does being done feel?!

Sounds very similar to my post exam plans! What interested you about Auslan? I started learning about two and a half years ago and it really is a beautiful language. ;D

I've been slowly KonMari-ing my bedroom and it is life changing!

I love watercolour; but all I paint is flowers. Do you have something in particular you like to paint? If you're destroying the paper, you could try really gentle strokes, slightly less water and only going over each area once (or possibly twice as needed). Also, I got an illustrating bible and have been sticking in my watercolours and doing calligraphy in the extra-wide margins and it has been very fun and helpful! Have you ever thought about doing something similar?

As soon as exams are done, a friend and I are spending a day in the Royal Botanic Gardens (and possibly also Flagstaff Gardens) in Melbourne.

Which books are in your stack? (I also have a TBR list longer than I could ever possibly get through.)

Being done feels amazing :D I do hope that I won't feel like I have "too much time" on my hands because there's always something to do.

That's cool to hear from someone who has learned Auslan! To answer your question, I learnt some American Sign Language and a bit of British sign language from my mum when I was younger. Now that we live in Australia, I figured it would be a useful skill to have, a fun experience, and a good bonding session with my mum who also wants to learn Auslan :D

Watercolour flowers are some of the prettiest things I have ever seen. I would like to learn how to use watercolour to paint landscapes, but right now I try drawing humans. As far as priorities go, I definitely have to do more anatomy studies before I get close to being satisfied with my current level of drawing. I've attempted watercolour several times before, but either I didn't have the proper paper for it, or my friends watched as I started off with too much pigment on the brush and ended up with a puddle on the page. It all comes with practice, I suppose, but I am scared to waste paint :P I have not tried using an illustrating bible, but I do experiment with calligraphy on scrap pieces of paper using my brush pen.

Sounds good! I was debating whether or not to go to the Melbourne Botanical Gardens while I am there, but my friends say that because we have one in Sydney, it's not at the top of our list of things to do :( Slight shame because hanging out in the city all the time can get tiresome.

I have more random books in my "to read" list than books I specifically set aside "to read". My school had a really cheap book sale, and I grabbed whatever looked interesting. I may end up liking some and disliking others, but I'm open to pleasant surprises :) Bolded books are the ones I specifically set aside to read.

• Howards End (E. M. Forster)
  • Old Kingdom series (Garth Nix)
  • Smoke and Iron (Rachel Caine)
  • The Bird Artist (Howard Norman)
  • The Lace Maker's Daughter (Gary Crew)
  • The Picture Book (Susannah Keating)
  • The Sly Company of People Who Care (Rahul Bhattacharya)
  • To My Daughter in France... (Barbara & Stephanie Keating)

I actually finished two books since the end of HSC: "Between Two Seas" (Marie-Louise Jensen) and "Bereft" (Chris Womersley). I was pleasantly surprised by both of them (the latter being a bit more "WHY???").

If anyone has any book recommendations, feel free to let me know! I'm pretty open to anything with a good plot or cast of characters.

Signing off for the day,
melberry

Positivitea for the day: I had a wholesome reunion dinner with friends and our teacher today :D

melberry

• Trailblazer
  • 自分の夢を追いかけろ
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2019, 06:30:59 am »
+5
It is 6:30am in the morning and I got my HSC results 30 minutes ago.

I am surprised.

Overall I feel pretty good. I severely underestimated my HSC marks for math extension 1 and math extension 2 (thank goodness for scaling!!), and I also slightly underestimated my English marks in both advanced and extension. I fell short on my expectations for economics and got exactly what I thought I would for Japanese.

My raw HSC scores were higher than I thought they were in both English and Math subjects. Four subjects I toiled and grappled with over this past year because I enjoyed Japanese and Economics much more. I think disbelief can be a bad thing sometimes but it honestly made looking at these marks relieving. I walked out of that Math Extension 2 exam thinking I got a 50 but I got much higher than that. (THANK YOU ATARNOTES FOR YOUR NOTES AND TESTS AND LECTURES YOU GUYS ARE LIFESAVERS!!!)

I'll update this again after 1pm

Good luck to everyone

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Musical Theatre Tragic And Ultimate Pun Generator
  • Respect: +1026
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2019, 07:19:37 am »
+2
Huge congratulations! I’ve been silently enjoying your journal over the year and just wanted to say well done for your results  ;D Hoping the ATAR will be what you’d like it to be and keen for your update later!  :D
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-
Bachelor of Music (Music Education) at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music

melberry

• Trailblazer
  • 自分の夢を追いかけろ
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2019, 12:54:58 pm »
+2
I am crying.

melberry

• Trailblazer
  • 自分の夢を追いかけろ
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2019, 10:43:35 pm »
+1
I am crying.

Just to clarify, this is relief.

caffinatedloz

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2019, 09:09:18 pm »
Congratulations! What a fantastic ATAR! What are your plans for next year?

melberry

• Trailblazer
  • 自分の夢を追いかけろ
« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2019, 06:06:28 pm »
+2
Congratulations! What a fantastic ATAR! What are your plans for next year?

Thanks! Other than getting into uni, I plan to resume fencing and continue working :) I also want to go on a road trip with friends in April and start tutoring people. Beyond that, I don't have specific plans, since I have no idea what my schedule and budget may look like.

How about you?

caffinatedloz

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2019, 09:41:20 pm »
+1
Thanks! Other than getting into uni, I plan to resume fencing and continue working :) I also want to go on a road trip with friends in April and start tutoring people. Beyond that, I don't have specific plans, since I have no idea what my schedule and budget may look like.
Sounds like you'll be busy! What course are you hoping to get in to? What kind of thing do you do for work?

How about you?
I'm going into Year 11, so probably a bit more study than I've been doing this year. Also, going to keep working and doing all of the extracurricular activities that I love. My volunteering is very fun and keeps me fairly busy.

I'm really looking forward to next year! Are you feeling excited about the increased freedom or is it a bit daunting? Or something else all together?